Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 98th Tour de France, thread, 2011.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Can someone talk me through Garmin's team selection:-

51 Thor Hushovd (Nor)
52 Thomas Danielson (USA)
53 Julian Dean (NZl)
54 Tyler Farrar (USA)
55 Ryder Hesjedal (Can)
56 David Millar (GBr)
57 Ramunas Navardauskas (Ltu)
58 Christian Vande Velde (USA)
59 David Zabriskie (USA)

Because the way I see it doesn't make sense.

Danielson, NSC's Ryder (another year, same crowbar :lol:), and CVV all GC?.
Farrar & Hoshovd both sprinters?
Dean lead out, last man.
Millar & Zab, TT, hard miles, plus break away for Miller.
I've no idea what RN does.

Is it just a case of 'let the road decide', for GC and Sprint stage wins/green?

It's a similar set up as the old Silence-Lotto team when they had Evans and McEwan on the same team.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Did anyone see the team presentation yesterday. Contador got a bit of frosty reception lol. I saw some clips from the 2010 team presentation on youtube and when Armstrong got on the stage everyone started leaving.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's a similar set up as the old Silence-Lotto team when they had Evans and McEwan on the same team.
Hello Ty, we've nearly got the old crew back!, where's your predictions, they are the only ones that count.

Similar in the sense they're caught between two stools.
But at least Lotto only pee'd on the aspirations of 2 riders, unlike Garmin's 5.

Julian Dean's got the easiest job on the team, 'ride to the 200mtrs sign'.
Everyone else will be pulling daggers out of their backs.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok I'll go first.

Stage 1: Passage du Gois La Barre-de-Monts - Mont des Alouettes Les Herbiers 191km

An uphill finish on a predominately flat stage, it has to be Phillppe Gilbert's to lose.
As well as a good showing from Sky, with half an eye on getting a rider in Yellow after Sunday's TTT.
So a place for Eddy BH, maybe Ben Swift.
With Thor also in the mix.

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
Im afraid I cant see past contador for the win (if the way he rode in the giro is anything to go by). Although he shouldnt be in it imho. Im hoping that my team (sky) can also pick up a few stage wins. Ben swift looks a good bet and i think Thomas could be a dark horse to do well in the GC, along with Wiggo of corse.

Strange that it dosent start with a time trial this year. That happened in 2008 aswell.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Stat Brother
Pantani
Tyrone Biggums

Gents, great to have the tour upon us but also great to have you back in the fold with your expert tips etc, I like it nearly as much as the main event.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've just looked on Skybet and Gilbert is 5/4, 200 riders, 4+ hours of racing, and only 5/4!.

They have Eddy BH at 18's, which is a fair price.
Ben Swift at 33's, he must be longer elsewhere.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Hello Ty, we've nearly got the old crew back!, where's your predictions, they are the only ones that count.

Similar in the sense they're caught between two stools.
But at least Lotto only pee'd on the aspirations of 2 riders, unlike Garmin's 5.

Julian Dean's got the easiest job on the team, 'ride to the 200mtrs sign'.
Everyone else will be pulling daggers out of their backs.

I think Garmin's GC plan is probably just to ride on the wheels of the top GC riders and see which of their riders can hang on the best.

Their hopes i'd think will revolve around hopefully picking up stage wins from Farrar and Hushovd.

They'd also probably be rating their chances of a top 3 finish in the TTT.

Garmin's hopes for 2011. I think it would be something like: TTT win, 1-2 stage wins and 1-2 riders in the top 20 GC.

Southern Toon

Aug 6, 2010
Contador looks nailed on for the top step in Paris, He pissed the giro looked as fit as a butchers dog. Would be nice to see Wiggens on the podium but i think when the shit hits the fan in the mountains he has not got a kick to go with the best. E/w Outside bet for me would bet Frank Schleck ( 55/1 with Paddy POWER ), Roll on the mountain stages.----When watching the giro on Eurosport there was an incident on one of the mountain stages were a spectator held a piece of steak ,Dangling on a piece of string under the nose of Alberto Contador as he was on the climb. I have been searching tinternet for Video/Photos of incident but no luck, If you have seen a photo/video could you please post a link.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Chavanel for today. Doesn't appear to lend itself to a massive bunch finish, he likes to be aggressive and he's got a taste for wearing yellow early on.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Gilbert is way too short for an opening stage(that's not a TT with Cancellara in it). Think I'll keep 99% of my money in my pocket.

Wouldn't be surprised at all though if a Quick Step rider took out the stage. Matthew Goss/Daniel Oss as long shot outsiders.

For the rest of the Tour

GC

Contador
Schleck
Van Den Broeck

Green

Cavendish
Farrar
Boasson Hagen

Polka

Contador
Charteau
Schelck

White

Gesink
Krueziger
Coppel

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Hushovd for me today. Too many people have tipped Gilbert, so he will be marked tightly, the winner will come from his wheel. The breakaway has a chance though today, with HTC refusing to chase.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was shocked, this morning to see PG @ 5/4.
The thing is though, he was marked all Spring, and that still didn't stop him.
His contract is up this year, and a good showing over the next 3 weeks, gives him a massive new deal.
Hence my tip for Green.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Oh for a white camper van, free petrol tokens and three weeks holiday...

All looking glourious on the telly though right now, with Gary Imlachs dulcit tones to boot.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
All or nothing for Cav on that intermediate. 11th got well beat.

If that happens on all the flat stages should make it fun, Farrar could be on for green if he places well at the end.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
All or nothing for Cav on that intermediate. 11th got well beat.

If that happens on all the flat stages should make it fun, Farrar could be on for green if he places well at the end.

Looked like he didn't anticipate how contested it would be, went early, and then just didn't have enough. No panic yet.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not that I want one, but the Skoda advert is cracking.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've got to take the boy, to a party at 4pm, as Wifey has decided to go for a spin.
I'm now frantically working out, distance left v ave speed = finish time.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I've got to take the boy, to a party at 4pm, as Wifey has decided to go for a spin.
I'm now frantically working out, distance left v ave speed = finish time.

Ouch, hope you have a plus box to pause of record the ending. 23k to go and break away hung out by a few hundred metres and ready for the catch.

Lets have a British team or individual win and get the prized yellow jersey.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here