The Official 102nd Tour de France, thread.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I listened to the telegraph podcast last night and think they made a fair point. With all this marginal gain business now, and such reliance on technology - if you have designed technology with a view to beat your rivals because of it, if it fails is it not just game on?
If Nibali had said that, then we'd be discussing what should and shouldn't happen, but Nibali said he didn't realise, so either he didn't or he's lying, and the Telegraph's point is irrelevant.

But if Nibali had said the attack was on purpose, a) was the problem with Froome's bike something that couldn't happen to the other bikes? and b) could Nibali tell from where he was that it was a problem with a piece of technology that no one else had?

The latter would certainly not be the case, so I can't see the argument for it being game on in this particular instance.

PS - don't get me wrong, this isn't about Froome, this is just a general point.

Last edited:

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
If Nibali had said that, then we'd be discussing what should and shouldn't happen, but Nibali said he didn't realise, so either he didn't or he's lying, and the Telegraph's point is irrelevant.

But if Nibali had said the attack was on purpose, a) was the problem with Froome's bike something that couldn't happen to the other bikes? and b) could Nibali tell from where he was that it was a problem with a piece of technology that no one else had?

The latter would certainly not be the case, so I can't see the argument for it being game on in this particular instance.

PS - don't get me wrong, this isn't about Froome, this is just a general point.

Fair enough, I agree that he must have lied yesterday, but that is OK in the French press as it is not Froome and his juiced army!

I understand what you are saying and probably agree but it was an interesting viewpoint from the podcast

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Is there a chance that Froome will not ride the tour again given the way the French idiots are treating him, and as others have said they are not treating known users in the same way?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Is there a chance that Froome will not ride the tour again given the way the French idiots are treating him, and as others have said they are not treating known users in the same way?

The chances of Froome not riding a TdF again because of fan abuse etc are zero I'd say. Wiggins is maybe the sort of character to throw toys out of prams but Froome is the complete opposite. Froome is as mentally tough as they come, used to over coming the odds and must have extremely thick skin. It's just one of the things that makes him such a good GT rider.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Good to see Nibali fighting in this Tour rather than quitting as many had predicted the other week (myself included). Same goes for Bardet.

Nibs lied yesterday without doubt as he definitely saw Froome had a mechanical, but the attack and stage win made for good viewing nonetheless.
Again today we have to put all entertainment hope in Nibs and Bert. Bert especially is almost guaranteed to attack from far out as protecting GC positions is just not in his make up.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I understand what you are saying and probably agree but it was an interesting viewpoint from the podcast
Yes I agree. If some teams have bikes that are more techy, have marginal gains, but are more susceptible to breakdowns, then it should be fair game. But I think Sky's marginal gains covers just about everything (diet, sleep, training, organisation, etc), but presumably their bikes are largely the same as the opposition, as everything has to be available commercially, so other teams can buy the same stuff?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The chances of Froome not riding a TdF again because of fan abuse etc are zero I'd say. Wiggins is maybe the sort of character to throw toys out of prams but Froome is the complete opposite. Froome is as mentally tough as they come, used to over coming the odds and must have extremely thick skin. It's just one of the things that makes him such a good GT rider.
I also think it's our job to show our support. Tweet the guy.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Yes I agree. If some teams have bikes that are more techy, have marginal gains, but are more susceptible to breakdowns, then it should be fair game. But I think Sky's marginal gains covers just about everything (diet, sleep, training, organisation, etc), but presumably their bikes are largely the same as the opposition, as everything has to be available commercially, so other teams can buy the same stuff?

One of the podcasts last night was saying that the stealing/employing of mechanics and ideas from other teams is now so massive and that the rules of waiting for riders with 'mecahical's' is outdated, especially now that mechanics are so close on the course and spare parts wheels, team mates bikes are so close. Also the bigger teams get more time in the top wind tunnels and will get the marginal gain techie stuff first.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Last day for your climbers to score points, then I just need a Cav win in Paris without Martin and Renshaw, not sure, but at least Lizzie may do the business in the women race

Attachments

• NSC 555.jpg
    NSC 555.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 91

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
One of the podcasts last night was saying ... the rules of waiting for riders with 'mecahical's' is outdated, especially now that mechanics are so close on the course and spare parts wheels, team mates bikes are so close.
With a team being close, you're not going to gain 30 minutes on someone, but you could still drop them from a group, and that's not considered acceptable. If that's outdated, then everyone needs to agree on it, you can't have riders playing by different rules.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
With a team being close, you're not going to gain 30 minutes on someone, but you could still drop them from a group, and that's not considered acceptable. If that's outdated, then everyone needs to agree on it, you can't have riders playing by different rules.

They are unwritten rules anyway, so almost impossible to change or debate, bit like the pass it back to the opposition or put the ball out of play for an injury in football, its not in the rules and can be frustrating often.

The podcasts last night were implying it suited Nibali because he knew Froome was not interested in him, but that Contatdor, Quintana et el would not attack Froome, so it would give him the chance to make the gap he needed over his lower GC rivals who needed to keep him under wraps.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
What do you think the other riders/teams feel about the treatment that Froome is getting? Or do you think they're not really bothered.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
ITV4 just been saying that the Team SKY support cars have been attacked by spectators towards the top of L'Alpe d'Huez. Sounds like it could get a bit hairy for the riders when they reach there. Not good.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
What are you doing Nairo? Do not wait for Valverde.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports