Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 102nd Tour de France, thread.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Can what be true? You know an ex cyclist? You have a drinking buddy? That he has a semi? Or that there is someone called Richie Porte?

I'm confused. :mad:
it's all true...honest.....he reckons richie ponte is the man .....will win the tdf within 3 years......(cluless mad drool:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I wonder how much pooh would get flung at Sky if they decided Bardet was their next GT protege?

They would certainly get a much better press in France. Apparently Bardet has a bit of a marginal gains mindset as well, so could be a good fit. Though if Sky sign everyone that is rumoured their Tour team next year could be:

Froome, Thomas, Kwiatkowski, Bardet, Landa, Konig, Poels, Kennaugh, Roche

Or something like that. Would be a bit strong that.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
it's all true...honest.....he reckons richie ponte is the man .....will win the tdf within 3 years......(cluless mad drool:

Well Richie Porte will not win the Tour de France within three years. I would bet almost any amount on that.

Richie Ponte? Who knows?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They would certainly get a much better press in France. Apparently Bardet has a bit of a marginal gains mindset as well, so could be a good fit. Though if Sky sign everyone that is rumoured their Tour team next year could be:

Froome, Thomas, Kwiatkowski, Bardet, Landa, Konig, Poels, Kennaugh, Roche

Or something like that. Would be a bit strong that.
Kennaugh would look very weak in that team, :ohmy:.

It comes to something when third rate cycling is charging towards a soccerball/F1 style of have and have nots, financial structure.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Kennaugh would look very weak in that team, :ohmy:.

It comes to something when third rate cycling is charging towards a soccerball/F1 style of have and have nots, financial structure.

We are already there aren't we? Sky, Sinkoff, Astana, Movistar and Quickstep operate in a different world from the rest.

Wish the french would consolidate their teams a bit, Europcar, FdJ, Cofidis, AG2R and Bretagne Seche is just too many teams for too little talent. I know Europcar look like going bust, but one less on top of that would be ideal for them I think. Take the best riders from those teams and create two out of them, they would be very strong. Yet all we see is Bardet, Barguil, Rolland and Pinot attacking each other all the time.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Well Richie Porte will not win the Tour de France within three years. I would bet almost any amount on that.

Richie Ponte? Who knows?
oh well i'll bow to your superior and typically nsc like smugg , ball fondling , knowledge.....however my mate carl is from wirral and he knows everthying about cycling lar....ok....???

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We are already there aren't we? Sky, Sinkoff, Astana, Movistar and Quickstep operate in a different world from the rest.

Wish the french would consolidate their teams a bit, Europcar, FdJ, Cofidis, AG2R and Bretagne Seche is just too many teams for too little talent. I know Europcar look like going bust, but one less on top of that would be ideal for them I think. Take the best riders from those teams and create two out of them, they would be very strong. Yet all we see is Bardet, Barguil, Rolland and Pinot attacking each other all the time.
Yeah, a little bit of denial there from me.

Apparently Europcar need €5.5m in sponsorship.

All it would take is one of us to win an average Euromillions lotto and we could have our own team!!

All kicking off now.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Yeah, a little bit of denial there from me.

Apparently Europcar need €5.5m in sponsorship.

All it would take is one of us to win an average Euromillions lotto and we could have our own team!!

All kicking off now.

That would be proper. Team Cycling Geeks! I think we would have to let 1066 pick the riders though, he was normally the master at the fantasy cycling.

Another Valverde pretend attack reeled in. Why does he do that?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That would be proper. Team Cycling Geeks! I think we would have to let 1066 pick the riders though, he was normally the master at the fantasy cycling.

Another Valverde pretend attack reeled in. Why does he do that?
At least it'll be cheap.
I've not heard of most of 1066's podium places.
Luckily I've learned (the hard way) to bit my tongue.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Attack yellow because of a mechanical - not on Mr Nibali...

Did he not go slightly before Froome's mechanical? Either way Froome would have let him go, i would have thought, Nibali is not in the same race as Froome anymore.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Did he not go slightly before Froome's mechanical? Either way Froome would have let him go, i would have thought, Nibali is not in the same race as Froome anymore.

No, he quite clearly looked back, looked back again, made sure Froome had actually stopped, then he went. None of the others attacked at that point.

Froome actually got a stone wedged into his brake caliper so stopped to flick it back out and was back with the group pretty quick.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They all look like death warmed up.

Wouter seems to be riding around France saving teammates tours.
He's doing a fantastic job.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Scary if you get a corner wrong going down the mountains!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Froome actually got a stone wedged into his brake caliper so stopped to flick it back out and was back with the group pretty quick.

You have sharp eyes Bold, I missed that totally.

Gonna be a bit of a shoot out on La Toussuire by the looks of things. Quintana has to go early if he wants to get anything out of this, no danger of losing a podium place with Thomas's explosion, so what do they have to lose?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Scary if you get a corner wrong going down the mountains!

I heard someone died on the descent on this years La Marmotte. Went straight over a barrier on the Glandon descent. A lot of riders out so who knows if he was 'Barguil'd' or of his own bike handling. Scary stuff.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why cant these Frenchies go down their own hills!!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Remind me:-

Who won the 2008 Olympic road race? :facepalm:

One for the ITVists among you.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
That was pretty special. Superb from Nibali, so so strong to win from that far out.

Quintana was impressive but thirty seconds when you are over three minutes down? Too little too late, why leave it until 5km to go. Nibali riding like a champion, Quintana, Valverde and Movistar riding for UCI points and places on the podium, a shame really. Froome was isolated bar Poels from 80km out(?), yet they did not force the advantage home. And Valverde kept chasing Contador, why do that when you have 2:30 over him? New DSs needed there I think.

Froome would have to explode on Alpe d'Huez to lose this now. Impressive from him, he did not panic, and he put more than a minute in to everyone else. Sad about G, he must be sick, but Sky are looking weak now, maybe paying the price for taking yellow so early.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here