Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 101st Tour de France, thread.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
July 23, Stage 17: Saint-Gaudens - Saint-Lary-Soulan Pla d'Adet 124.5km

Distance: 124.5km

Category: High Mountains

Highest point: 1,654m

stage_17_map_670.jpg

stage_17_profile_670.jpg

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Did Sky send Kiryienka out on a lone break, or did he go of his own accord? Looked pretty desperate whoever made the call.

Meanwhile Saxo demonstrate how to react to the loss of their leader with another well executed stage win, and the polka dot jersey.

Nibali again looked imperious. He may well have handled Froome and Bertie on this form. Another cracking stage for the viewer.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Did Sky send Kiryienka out on a lone break, or did he go of his own accord? Looked pretty desperate whoever made the call.

Meanwhile Saxo demonstrate how to react to the loss of their leader with another well executed stage win, and the polka dot jersey.

Nibali again looked imperious. He may well have handled Froome and Bertie on this form. Another cracking stage for the viewer.

Wasn't it just! Superb action throughout the whole stage. Particularly liking the Bardet attack on the last descent.

Got to hand it to the organisers, they've created some cracking parcours for this years edition. Of course, the riders still have to race them to make it exciting, and perhaps the crashing out of Froome and Bert has helped them do that.

Another great ride by Majka, but he does come across as an arrogant so and so. Nothing like his fellow young Pole Kwiatkowski.

Have to give a special mention to Valverde today. I thought perhaps the team mates up the rode were for a Valverde attack, even though he hasn't been climbing that well this Tour. Turned out to be a masterstroke for knowing he was weak and might need them for pace back duties instead. He didn't panic and used Herrada & Izagirre brilliantly to get him back to the Pinot group. Me and the kids were willing Pinot's group to put more time into Valverde but when he came back we all shook our heads and said what's the betting he then wheelsucks them to the line and sprints away for a few seconds. Sure enough :rolleyes:

I've no idea what the Kiryienka move was about. More Sky cluelessness I'd imagine.

As for Nibs, I tend to agree with you. I think his cobblestone masterstroke on stage 5 and the fact that he's clearly strong and getting stronger means he could well have just about held them off for an epic win. Real shame that opportunity has been denied him.

Glad I held off on the betting for today. Majka and Nibs were very short odds, and Visconti was never on my radar at any point.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Great stage, I really like getting to see the early moves try and get established then see it all the way through.

Majka does come across as a bit of a dick, especially after all his, "boo hoo, I can't believe they're making me ride the tour. It's so unfair"!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
July 24, Stage 18: Pau - Hautacam 145.5km

Distance: 144.5km

Category: High Mountains

Highest point: 2,115m

stage_18_map_670.jpg

stage_18_profile_670.jpg

A shaved monkey could get up this one :lolol:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Yeah, easy. This is the one. Bet it's sunny for the pros.

Looks straight forward, only 2 climbs today. The first one looks to climb very gradually so looks to be a big ring job. Well under a 100 miles for the whole thing as well. Poor stuff from the Tour organisers, should have given them a challenge!!:lolol:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Looks straight forward, only 2 climbs today. The first one looks to climb very gradually so looks to be a big ring job. Well under a 100 miles for the whole thing as well. Poor stuff from the Tour organisers, should have given them a challenge!!:lolol:

:lol::smile::annoyed:

Loads of my mates are asking me what the problem was, as there were only two hills!

I used the big ring for the Tourmalet. However, it wasn't the big ring at the front.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Riders just getting to the foot of the Hautecam, all close enough together to make this an absolute belter. If you are not watching, turn on now.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Another brilliant stage. Nibali is just incredible, but the young French riders were also fantastic. Pinot, Peraud and Bardet all in the top five, Valverde off the podium.

Just over four hours. Utterly ridiculous. My official time in l'etape was 8hours and 19 minutes.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Great stage that, wife kept switching to Comm Games triathlon ffs but watched last 10kms pretty much uninterrupted, Nibali was on fire, when he cruised past Nieve that was special!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Haven't seen this stage yet, but based on Nibali's performance in this Tour from beginning to now, I feel that he would have had the measure of Froome and Contador even if they had stayed in the race. A worthy champion if all goes to plan.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Haven't seen this stage yet, but based on Nibali's performance in this Tour from beginning to now, I feel that he would have had the measure of Froome and Contador even if they had stayed in the race. A worthy champion if all goes to plan.

Yes, a worthy champion.

Trouble is, Froome and Contador did not stay in the race, and we will never know how strong they would have been. His win isn't quite 'tainted' by this, but it's always going to be a question that cannot be answered. A bit like winning Wimbledon would be if Djokovic, Nadal and Federer were all injured.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Yes, a worthy champion.

Trouble is, Froome and Contador did not stay in the race, and we will never know how strong they would have been. His win isn't quite 'tainted' by this, but it's always going to be a question that cannot be answered. A bit like winning Wimbledon would be if Djokovic, Nadal and Federer were all injured.

That's just it. I think he has ridden with such confidence and with strong tactical awareness that I don't think Sky or Tinky Winky Saxo Bank would have stopped him. Alberto was already 2 mins 40 secs down when he went out and Sky's team post Froome haven't shown up at all. I think he deserves to be champion without the risk of questions. Also, he should be given it - no questions asked - just for wearing that hideous turquoise.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
That's just it. I think he has ridden with such confidence and with strong tactical awareness that I don't think Sky or Tinky Winky Saxo Bank would have stopped him. Alberto was already 2 mins 40 secs down when he went out and Sky's team post Froome haven't shown up at all. I think he deserves to be champion without the risk of questions. Also, he should be given it - no questions asked - just for wearing that hideous turquoise.

Celeste, isn't it?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

I think both would have had a chance. Porte as support for Froome is not as hopeless as Porte as team leader, And G has been excellent. I think the spirit left Sky when Froome was forced to pull out. Lopez has been crap, yes, and Kirienka has been a bit headless chicken, but with Froome in place they'd have been more sure of their roles.

Contador in the mountains is well capable of pulling back that sort of deficit, and Saxo-Tinkoff have been a revelation.

Nibali needs to win a Grand Tour with all the main contenders intact.

I bet Movistar are pissed off that they didn't pick Quintana for this Tour.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think both would have had a chance. Porte as support for Froome is not as hopeless as Porte as team leader, And G has been excellent. I think the spirit left Sky when Froome was forced to pull out. Lopez has been crap, yes, and Kirienka has been a bit headless chicken, but with Froome in place they'd have been more sure of their roles.

Contador in the mountains is well capable of pulling back that sort of deficit, and Saxo-Tinkoff have been a revelation.

Nibali needs to win a Grand Tour with all the main contenders intact.

I bet Movistar are pissed off that they didn't pick Quintana for this Tour.

I agree on the Saxo Tinky Winky Woo point. There were showing to be the strong team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here