Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 100th Tour de France thread, 2013.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Some odds from WH that might be worth looking at :

Rolland & Nieve 16/1
Bart de Clerq 40/1
Dan Martin 66/1

Personally I'm sticking my £1 e/w on Simon Clarke @ 150/1

I like Nieve and de Clerq from those, and have a sneaking suspicion for Bardet so have gone for him £1 e/w at 66-1

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Got a couple of quid on Taaramae and Feillu :down:

I've now asked for a price on Vellieux.
Reminding skybet he doesn't feature in their betting down to 300/1, and I'm just a small wager fat postie.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Better late than never.

July 18, Stage 18: Gap - l'Alpe d'Huez 172.5km

stage_18_map_670.jpg

stage_18_profile_600_1_670.jpg

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I have a feeling Contador's going to do something VERY special today. If Saxo and Movistar can break Sky on the first ascent and get Froome isolated it'll be epic!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I just can't see the big boys getting away.

Attacking whilst punctured seems to be the name of the game, other than that, all Froome has to do is mark AC and be mindful of Quintana.

So the Paris podium chaps:-

Foome
Contador
Rodriguez

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I think Quintana's going to struggle on the descents - he corners like the climber he is, which is one of the reasons he's quickly becoming a favourite of mine. The Saxo boys can try to 1-2 Froome, and I'd hope the others will join in. There's a lot of time that can be won and lost today, especially if the weather interferes.

It will probably be a dull procession now...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think Quintana's going to struggle on the descents - he corners like the climber he is, which is one of the reasons he's quickly becoming a favourite of mine. The Saxo boys can try to 1-2 Froome, and I'd hope the others will join in. There's a lot of time that can be won and lost today, especially if the weather interferes.

It will probably be a dull procession now...
Saxo can't 1-2 Froome because Roman can't counter punch, well not from a long way out, anyway. Think Cadel Evans.

If Roman starts mucking about on climbs he'll lose third to Quinny and/or Roddy.

They may well try and fill the break again with Roache et al, then Contador can use them as stepping stones.
But every move he makes will have to be counter by Sky, Movistar and Katusha.

We are now beginning to see why Katusha have been nonexistent for 2 weeks.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Saxo can't 1-2 Froome because Roman can't counter punch, well not from a long way out, anyway. Think Cadel Evans.

If Roman starts mucking about on climbs he'll lose third to Quinny and/or Roddy.

They may well try and fill the break again with Roache et al, then Contador can use them as stepping stones.
But every move he makes will have to be counter by Sky, Movistar and Katusha.

We are now beginning to see why Katusha have been nonexistent for 2 weeks.

He's going to lose 3rd anyway, but could help Bertie to the top step. In a crazy all-or-nothing sort of way. Katusha have played the long game well. Maybe Valverde will go up the road - how much freedom will he be given?

Looking at the Katusha situation are we now thinking a Cofidis rider will win the next 3 stages by 2 hours?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Euskaltel's day today. Their whole tour has been about winning todays stage. You heard it hear first*.....

*any money placed based on this information is the owner's responsibility as this information is largely based on very little experience, knowledge or tactical awareness.

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
I'm sure others have asked but what happens with team sky next year assuming Froome wins and Wiggins is fit as I saw Froome extended his contract? Is Wiggins retiring from the tour or will they have two potential winners?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm sure others have asked but what happens with team sky next year assuming Froome wins and Wiggins is fit as I saw Froome extended his contract? Is Wiggins retiring from the tour or will they have two potential winners?
No they haven't.

I doubt BW will race Le Tour again, CF has done better this year than BW last (so far) with a weaker team in a harder tour, and is 5 years younger.
After the brutal kicking Brad got in the Giro I think a 3 week Grand Tour is beyond him.
He's choosing the Tour of Britain over the Vuelta (Spain's Grand Tour in Sept)

He'll be looking at the Worlds TT this year, but after that who knows.

The interesting thing from Brad is his commitment to the Olympics, if that's still strong he has to ride for 2 more seasons.
But it's hard to see where, in a Grand Tour team.

(Obviously these are just the opinions of a fat postie, with no insight)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

It is likely that Sir Lord Wiggo will start the end of his career by targeting the classics like Paris-Roubaix, and maybe go for the Giro again (or not as SB points out). Plenty for him to still sprinkle glory on his prestigious career. Wiggin's is a cycling purist, and to add a classic or 2 to his name will be massive for him.

After Froome's performances so far this season in the big stage races, he'll be contesting the TdF as Sky's leader for the considerable future I think. Wiggin's Tour days look like they are over as I doubt very much he'll take on a support role.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I have a feeling Roman will hang onto 3rd spot. He's finally starting to show the kind of talent he promised at Liquigas.

I've taken $5 of my Rui Costa $ and invested on him to hang onto his spot.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It is likely that Sir Lord Wiggo will start the end of his career by targeting the classics like Paris-Roubaix, and maybe go for the Giro again (or not as SB points out). Plenty for him to still sprinkle glory on his prestigious career. Wiggin's is a cycling purist, and to add a classic or 2 to his name will be massive for him.

After Froome's performances so far this season in the big stage races, he'll be contesting the TdF as Sky's leader for the considerable future I think. Wiggin's Tour days look like they are over as I doubt very much he'll take on a support role.

There were whispers that Wiggins might be a target of OGE.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There were whispers that Wiggins might be a target of OGE.
His fitability into Sky and British Cycling seems to be diminishing.
But it's a massive paternal hold they have over him, plus they can all but offer another Olympic gold.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
His fitability into Sky and British Cycling seems to be diminishing.
But it's a massive paternal hold they have over him, plus they can all but offer another Olympic gold.

Well it would seem Porte is the next Grand Tour rising star for Sky so he'll do one of the majors as the lead rider next year i'd think and Froome the other.

I read an article last night in which it sounded like Wiggins has little motivation at present to bother putting in much effort even in training.

I don't think OGE should bother. Not sure his personality really fits in with OGE way of knock about life.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have a feeling Roman will hang onto 3rd spot. He's finally starting to show the kind of talent he promised at Liquigas.

I've taken $5 of my Rui Costa $ and invested on him to hang onto his spot.
I just can't see Roman hanging onto the tails of the mountain goats.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Today really could be epic, as others have said, if Saxo put Roche and Bennati in the break again and Movistar join the party and Contador goes Kamikaze on the descents. Personally I agree that Roman won't be used at all as he'll be allowed to defend his podium spot. For today I reckon it'll be the select GC left right at the end with the Belkin boys struggling a bit and losing time whilst J Rod sprints away at the end to take the stage victory if the break has already been reeled in. Either way I see J Rod sprinting away to take back GC time regardless as he'll be finishing higher in Paris than his current 7th position I'm sure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here