Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The NSC 'up all night' election night laughathon #unofficial# thread

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We need better than Pringles. Just sayin'.

I'm already eyeing up olives and planning a sweep of canapes and dips the day before. I may even get some of the artisan scotch eggs and borderline-illegal imported cheese from Macknade.

There is a risk I may gain a full stone if the session proves to live up to billing.

Mr Creosote rides again :lolol:

You haven’t got a sweet tooth?

As well as savouries, I’ll stock up with chocolate peanuts and raisins. Stunningly delicious.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
@Harry Wilson's tackle, @Hugo Rune and @WATFORD zero …. did you stay up watching it to early hours/all night, when it was apparent from exit polls at 10pm that the Tories had won eg 2015 and 2019? Or only when that’s not the outcome?

I think I’ve done them all since 79, when just turned a teen.

Great move with the thread. I look forward to the night, talk of snacks etc.

You seem to think I have problems with the Tory party per se. I have actually mentioned on NSC before that I have voted for Tory candidates at elections frequently. What I have problems (and continue to have problems with) are the cabal that took over that party in the run up to the Brexit vote :shrug:

Normally I would sit up , but I was in Spain for the Brexit referendum and I went to bed after a lovely meal out thinking (it appears, somewhat naively) that my fellow countrymen really couldn't be that stupid :facepalm:

And although it was fairly obvious Johnson had won in 2019, I was up until the early hours somewhat pissed and incredulous :wink:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You seem to think I have problems with the Tory party per se. I have actually mentioned on NSC before that I have voted for Tory candidates at elections frequently. What I have problems (and continue to have problems with) are the cabal that took over that party in the run up to the Brexit vote :shrug:

Normally I would sit up , but I was in Spain for the Brexit referendum and I went to bed after a lovely meal out thinking (it appears, somewhat naively) that my fellow countrymen really couldn't be that stupid :facepalm:

And although it was fairly obvious Johnson had won in 2019, I was up until the early hours somewhat pissed and incredulous :wink:

I can’t imagine a former Hunt Sab not minding the Tory party?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You haven’t got a sweet tooth?

As well as savouries, I’ll stock up with chocolate peanuts and raisins. Stunningly delicious.
No. Nothing sweeter than cabernet sauvignon ever passes my lips.

I'm a salty man. Mmmmm salt.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I don’t really follow what’s going on in this thread, but I’ll definitely be watching both the UK and US election nights - I absolutely love them. No joke, probably my favourite TV “event”. I have printouts and a set of highlighters, do my own “graphics” in downtime when awaiting results… 🤡

I just love everything about it, Sir John Curtice popping up. The classic grumpy and in denial politicians about to lose their jobs playing down the (usually entirely accurate) exit polls. “There’s still a long way to go and we’re remaining optimistic” :lol:

I actually bring in my other telly from next door and set them both up together, one on Sky News the other on BBC, and watch them Marty McFly style.

Already booked off the 4th (so I can sleep in the afternoon) and 5th (so I can sleep all afternoon). I cannot wait!

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I stayed up until 4am in 1997 and ran around the house in excitement when the three Brighton/Hove seats went to Labour.

I genuinely thought that politics had changed and the world would be a better place with the change of administration.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm happy to join the NSC overnight devotees. I may take the next day off as I am due some leave. So count me in.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I can’t imagine a former Hunt Sab not minding the Tory party?

Never had a lot of time for the swivel-eyed loons in the tories, but I am old enough to remember when they were an extreme faction (equivalent to the Militant faction in the Labour party) and the majority of Conservatives were very different. Sadly those swivel-eyed loons are now the leadership of the Tories and the Cabinet :shrug:

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I stayed up until 4am in 1997 and ran around the house in excitement when the three Brighton/Hove seats went to Labour.

I genuinely thought that politics had changed and the world would be a better place with the change of administration.
Well Blair and Brown did some amazing things in government - introducing the national minimum wage for example. Sadly, as always happens due to the nature of politics, it all went sour. Very, very sour.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Problem for me is that so many of the xxxxs that are staring down the barrel of a Portllo moment have done a runner.
They know the writing is on the wall and are saving face. Simply sidle into a nice City of London/consultancy job, wait for all this to blow over, and come back in 10 years when the new government burns out. Tale as old as time

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Just hoping that Gove, Leadsom, Hancock, May etc. all standing down from very safe seats aren't opening rat run opportunities for some of the potential Portillos that we'll hopefully be raising a glass of whiskey to in the early hours of 5 July.

This makes for fun reading:

Some great names on there, but if they all came true, I'd need to get a few more bottles in.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I'm thinking a 7 -10 course may be in order, but all simple starter type dishes that can be served cold or prepared in advance and banged in an oven/air fryer/microwave for 5 mins

I'll start with mixed olives with crostini and balsamic/olive oil dip
This is what I do - and a flask of drip coffee so I don’t have to keep making drinks all night. Mozzarella sticks, battered prawns are always winners

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I usually stay up until 1-2am, by which time there are usually enough results in to show that the 10pm exit polls have got it there or thereabouts. This year however, I am taking Friday 5th off of work and intend to stay up all night for as many Portillos as possible. And so do lots of people I know.

Despite recent spate of resignations, here are still plenty of at-risk Tory names left for us to enjoy watching as they lose there historically safe seats. Should be loads of fun.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here