[Football] The Non-League Football Thread- 2023/24 Edition

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Worthing 7 Eastbourne 0 on aggregate.

Looks like going pro worked wonders for Boro :lolol:
Decent Attendance there today , 1837 , with many from Worthing and a masterful performance from the Rebels winning 4-0 .
Man of the match though was the volunteer from the crowd who stepped up to run the line when the designated match official was injured in the warm up thus saving the day .

Next home match at Priory Lane is a QF SCC tie v Hastings United on Tuesday Jan 9th , 7.30 KO , just £5 adult admission :thumbsup:
rsz_e1.jpg
rsz_e2(1).jpg
rsz_e2a.jpg
rsz_e3.jpg

Last edited:

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Went down to Priory Lane to watching Worthing run Borough off the pitch. Not Surprised Beard was sacked post match, his team was devoid of ideas and any fight.

IMG_8786.jpeg

On a separate note I ended 2023 on 198 games. Plenty of action all over the country, as well as my forays abroad. Good year altogether I suppose 😂.

IMG_8749.png
IMG_8750.png
IMG_8751.png
IMG_8752.png

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
so my 2024 quest to go to a game at every Sussex ground started yesterday in the Eastbourne rain as Worthing hammered Eastbourne Borough 4-0 at Priory Lane.

It's a great ground with cover on all 4 sides and a FANTASTIC clubhouse. Treated myself to an early arrival in East Sussex (it's one of my longest trips) and really took in the vibe of the Sports Bar after managing to park next to Adam Hinshelwood (the car parking facilities are INSANE). Cracking beer selection (although a bit of a lack in the real ale department for those who are so inclined). A pint of the black stuff will set you back £5.95. Also treated myself to a bit of food as they have a decent menu- £9.95 for all mains and the "Borough Burger" was pretty nice.

Popped into the ground itself at about 2:30 and took up a spot on the North Terrace basically on the halfway line. Priory lane has ample covered terracing and a smart, reasonably sized covered seated stand on the south side of the ground. Also, needs to be mentioned that it has something that is surely a rarity in Sussex non league grounds- EXECUTIVE BOXES!

At half time got myself a Bovril which cost £1.50.

Worthing were deserved winners and in the end it was embarrassingly comfortable for them. Unsurprisingly the Borough manager was sacked shortly after the game.

Priory Lane is a great experience and I've started my odyssey with a real bang

IMG_20240101_135157_249.jpg
IMG_20240101_144020_579.jpg
IMG_20240101_144357_441.jpg
IMG_20240101_144403_415.jpg

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
so my 2024 quest to go to a game at every Sussex ground started yesterday in the Eastbourne rain as Worthing hammered Eastbourne Borough 4-0 at Priory Lane.

It's a great ground with cover on all 4 sides and a FANTASTIC clubhouse. Treated myself to an early arrival in East Sussex (it's one of my longest trips) and really took in the vibe of the Sports Bar after managing to park next to Adam Hinshelwood (the car parking facilities are INSANE). Cracking beer selection (although a bit of a lack in the real ale department for those who are so inclined). A pint of the black stuff will set you back £5.95. Also treated myself to a bit of food as they have a decent menu- £9.95 for all mains and the "Borough Burger" was pretty nice.

Popped into the ground itself at about 2:30 and took up a spot on the North Terrace basically on the halfway line. Priory lane has ample covered terracing and a smart, reasonably sized covered seated stand on the south side of the ground. Also, needs to be mentioned that it has something that is surely a rarity in Sussex non league grounds- EXECUTIVE BOXES!

At half time got myself a Bovril which cost £1.50.

Worthing were deserved winners and in the end it was embarrassingly comfortable for them. Unsurprisingly the Borough manager was sacked shortly after the game.

Priory Lane is a great experience and I've started my odyssey with a real bang

View attachment 172115View attachment 172116View attachment 172117View attachment 172118
Great idea and review but can’t help thinking you’ve set the bar for yourself abit high for the rest of the year now by choosing a conference south match day experience first! I eagerly await your review of Mile Oak for example!😂

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
anyone know when the SCFL fixtures are likely to be out? The website only has them up to 30/12/23

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I
Blimey. What are your parameters for this!?

there are literally THOUSANDS of 'football grounds' in Sussex, surely...

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Great idea and review but can’t help thinking you’ve set the bar for yourself abit high for the rest of the year now by choosing a conference south match day experience first! I eagerly await your review of Mile Oak for example!😂
I know what you mean, but the beauty is that there will be some pretty decent grounds scattered throughout some pretty "barren" ones. I chose Eastbourne Borough for the first one as I knew it would be a good way to kick off, I was up for a local derby (of sorts, it's actually quite far) but also winter is where I'm prioritising the grounds that have SOME form of shelter :ROFLMAO:

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Blimey. What are your parameters for this!?

there are literally THOUSANDS of 'football grounds' in Sussex, surely...
From SCFL Division 2 up to Brighton in the Premier League. There's 55 in total once you take into account a few ground shares

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
From SCFL Division 2 up to Brighton in the Premier League. There's 55 in total once you take into account a few ground shares
One really underrated one for me is Roffey. The ‘Theatre of trees’ they call it (on the sign as you go in). The pitch is totally surrounded by high rise forest which looks quite unique. Bruno Fernandes’ brother is also their captain and so he has put £100k into the club, so the bar facilities/club house are also of good standard

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
One really underrated one for me is Roffey. The ‘Theatre of trees’ they call it (on the sign as you go in). The pitch is totally surrounded by high rise forest which looks quite unique. Bruno Fernandes’ brother is also their captain and so he has put £100k into the club, so the bar facilities/club house are also of good standard
that sounds great and exactly the sort of place I was looking forward to going to when I decided to do this. There is likely to be a few hidden gems like this.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I know what you mean, but the beauty is that there will be some pretty decent grounds scattered throughout some pretty "barren" ones. I chose Eastbourne Borough for the first one as I knew it would be a good way to kick off, I was up for a local derby (of sorts, it's actually quite far) but also winter is where I'm prioritising the grounds that have SOME form of shelter :ROFLMAO:
I was gonna say that you've set the bar high in terms of reporting; are you going to go into that level of detail for each ground!?

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex

Sounds exciting thing to do. What takes my fancy is ground hopping within the London and South East rail network and being less car dependent. You can venture as far as Kings Lynn, Worcester, Weymouth, Harwich etc with a network card discount. I’m finding train prices when venturing outside the network to be getting prohibitive.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I was gonna say that you've set the bar high in terms of reporting; are you going to go into that level of detail for each ground!?
unlikely :ROFLMAO:

not sure how much I can realistically WAX LYRICAL about, say, Rustington

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Don’t go to Rottingdean until at least April! Completely exposed, no cover at all and often a quagmire.
Yep, I've played there, completely exposed as you say. I'm secretly hoping they go down this season....(no offence Rottingdean fans)- currently bottom of SCFL division 2

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
anyone know when the SCFL fixtures are likely to be out? The website only has them up to 30/12/23
Yes, that is strange. However, if you click on any club, you will find their fixtures for January and beyond.

Good luck with your quest! Are you planning to do this within a year or perhaps a longer time frame?

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Yes, that is strange. However, if you click on any club, you will find their fixtures for January and beyond.

Good luck with your quest! Are you planning to do this within a year or perhaps a longer time frame?

within a calendar year, going to be tough! Not limiting myself to first team fixtures though- can be u23s, u18s, womens etc even charity games in the summer

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019

and yes just had a look and you're right. They've just not compiled them in one page yet....I get that they do have limitations of course. Doesn't look like there's any games today (imagine a lot would have been postponed due to waterlogged pitches anyway)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports