[Football] The Non-League Football Thread- 2023/24 Edition

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Went to Little Common for the 11 am kick off where the visitors Eastbourne Town and as one of their supporters told me , Sussex's oldest Senior club returned home with all 3 points after a 2-1 win . Attendance 200 ish , no pa there so don't know the official figure .

Then the short trip to the Pilot Field for Hastings United 3-0 win over Cray Wanderers ( London's oldest club and the 2nd oldest in the world apparently )

Hastings with 10 new players signed pre season in their starting lineup look a stronger side than last season and might just be in the mix for a play of place come easter time .

On the bench for Hastings was Kian Moynes who had started for Little Common earlier in the day .

rsz_b1(1).jpg
rsz_b2(1).jpg
rsz_b3a.jpg
rsz_b6.jpg
rsz_b4a.jpg
rsz_b5.jpg
rsz_b7.jpg

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
First trip to Worthing this season yesterday, comfortable win and totally agree with your comment regarding the 14. Very accomplished player.
he looked great- along with the whole midfield really

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Went to Little Common for the 11 am kick off where the visitors Eastbourne Town and as one of their supporters told me , Sussex's oldest Senior club returned home with all 3 points after a 2-1 win . Attendance 200 ish , no pa there so don't know the official figure .

Then the short trip to the Pilot Field for Hastings United 3-0 win over Cray Wanderers ( London's oldest club and the 2nd oldest in the world apparently )

Hastings with 10 new players signed pre season in their starting lineup look a stronger side than last season and might just be in the mix for a play of place come easter time .

On the bench for Hastings was Kian Moynes who had started for Little Common earlier in the day .

View attachment 165628View attachment 165629View attachment 165630View attachment 165631View attachment 165632View attachment 165633View attachment 165634

impressed that Hastings have managed to sign Davide Rodari (on loan?). I liked him a lot in his spells at Worthing

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Amazing first half at Steyning yesterday morning against Haywards Heath hoping to be just briefly visiting the SCFL. In the first 30 minutes Steyning scored four good goals and missed a penalty. The Heath keeper dislocated a finger making the penalty save - and an outfield player took his place. Heath got one back before the break - and the second half was largely forgettable. Unbeaten in the Premier division - and still in all the cups. Great start to the season. And when the pass and move is working it's glorious to watch.

A busy September awaits!
sept23.jpg

Up the Barrowmen!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
A 3G pitch on the other hand virtually looks after itself, and weather related postponements become a thing of the past.

I prefer to see football played on grass too, but having a 3G pitch, is unfortunately the future, where non league football is concerned.
It really is. It needs sweeping twice a week - and has a bounce test every season - and needs resurfacing every seven years ..... but at our club the pitch is used for training for all teams (we have 31 affiliated teams/age-groups) and is in use every weekend, all weekend, and every evening. And as many afternoons as we can hire out.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Another very disappointing, and damaging defeat for Horsham YMCA yesterday 4-0 at home to Faversham Town in the FA Vase.

So we bowed out of the FA Cup meekly in the 1st qualifying round, and now the Vase too at the same stage. That only really leaves the Senior Cup, and we have a horrible draw at Eastbourne Town in the 1st round. I don't fancy our chances.
And these cup runs (particularly the FA Cup) can make such a massive difference to the finances. Steyning are still in but away to Hadley FC (the oldest club in Barnet) who are a step above. Tough task.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Nope, he isn't on loan. He was released by Crawley Town at the end of last season.

He spent four years with Hastings previously, of course.
an excellent permanent signing then

he looked decent in the conference south for Worthing

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
Littlehampton V Horndean tonight (Tues) 7.45 k.o.
Isthmian League South East Div (Step 4)
Decent, if not high quality, entertainment in slippery conditions I thought. Littlehampton started slowly and went 1-0 down early on but grew into the game second half. A little disappointing that they didn't go on to win after equalising early in the second half, hitting the woodwork twice and Gaskin missing a great chance. Golds have very few players left from the Vase run and will struggle this season, I fear. Not enough up front, with the permanently injured Joe Benn out again with yet another long-term injury.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The draw for the second qualifying round of The FA Cup has been made. Sussex sides drawn as follows:

Ascot United v Lewes
Sheppey United v Burgess Hill Town
Eastbourne Borough v Worthing
Hadley or Steyning Town Community v Maidstone United
Lancing or Carshalton Athletic v Kingstonian
Eastbourne United v Berkhamsted
Sevenoaks Town or Whitehawk v Redhill
Leatherhead or Horsham v Marlow
Dover Athletic v Erith and Belvedere or Hastings United

Ties to be played weekend of 16/09/23

Last edited:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The draw for the second qualifying round of The FA Cup has been made. Sussex sides drawn as follows:

Ascot United v Lewes
Sheppey United v Burgess Hill Town
Eastbourne Borough v Worthing
Lancing or Carshalton Athletic v Kingstonian
Eastbourne United v Berkhamsted
Sevenoaks Town or Whitehawk v Redhill
Leatherhead or Horsham v Marlow
Dover Athletic v Erith and Belvedere or Hastings United

Ties to be played weekend of 16/09/23
And the winner of the BIG game at Shooting Field tomorrow (Tuesday evening) is at home to Maidstone United. If you fancy some FA Cup football come along to Steyning tomorrow night for the replay with Hadley FC. Details here. It should be a really good game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports