[Football] The Non-League Football Thread- 2023/24 Edition

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Glorious day at the Pilot Field, decided against the amex this weekend due to the trains. Hastings in complete control for 95% of the game, all 11 players including a young JJ Walker at centre back were absolutely brilliant. Stand out for me was Femi Akinwande who looks a right handful up top and Dom Vose who looks class in the middle.

Bumped into my old mate John Wright who took over as Bexhill manager over the summer, difficult start for them but they've had key players missing and at times playing a back four with an average age of 20. Will try and get to a few of their games this season too.

On another note, a new catering team have taken over at Hastings and the food's looking good, will have to give some a try on Monday...

View attachment 165573
Will be there after LC v Eastbourne Town at 11 am .

Last edited:

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
@jackalbion looking at your pictures, it seems like many non league clubs have (understandably) gone down the artificial turf route. Are there many grass pitches left these days?
Most are still grass, but there are so many advantages of Artificial, a huge money maker. Newhaven run a 5 a side league and rent it out, as well have a lot less postponements. I prefer a grass ground personally, but I can see why a lot of clubs take the plunge.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Most are still grass, but there are so many advantages of Artificial, a huge money maker. Newhaven run a 5 a side league and rent it out, as well have a lot less postponements. I prefer a grass ground personally, but I can see why a lot of clubs take the plunge.
Newhaven often had games postponed when there was heavy rain, the corner of the pitch near the entrance would be underwater.
It wasn’t just the first team games getting postponed Newhaven have under 18s, u23s and women’s teams all using the same pitch.
They also used to hire the 3G pitch at Seaford leisure centre to train in the winter.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
This. Plus many clubs are run by a committee of old codgers, (certainly true of us at Horsham YMCA), very few of the younger generation are interested in getting truly involved, and the role of groundsman, maintaining a grass pitch, can almost be a full time job at times. A 3G pitch on the other hand virtually looks after itself, and weather related postponements become a thing of the past.

I prefer to see football played on grass too, but having a 3G pitch, is unfortunately the future, where non league football is concerned.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Newhaven often had games postponed when there was heavy rain, the corner of the pitch near the entrance would be underwater.
It wasn’t just the first team games getting postponed Newhaven have under 18s, u23s and women’s teams all using the same pitch.
They also used to hire the 3G pitch at Seaford leisure centre to train in the winter.
Interesting you say that actually, we played Epsom & Ewell in the FA Cup a few weeks ago, they ground share at Cobham who have a 3G pitch. The kick off time had to be put back by half an hour while they raked excess water off the pich after heavy rain earlier in the day.

So yes you do still get the odd delay or even postponement, just not nearly so many.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Are clubs allowed 3G pitch in the National League
I'm pretty sure yes, as Sutton and I believe Harrogate both had to rip them up when they got promoted to League 2

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Interesting you say that actually, we played Epsom & Ewell in the FA Cup a few weeks ago, they ground share at Cobham who have a 3G pitch. The kick off time had to be put back by half an hour while they raked excess water off the pich after heavy rain earlier in the day.

So yes you do still get the odd delay or even postponement, just not nearly so many.
Maybe the ground at Cobham hasn’t got decent drainage, Newhaven has got new drainage systems fitted under the pitch.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
This afternoon (Mon) at 3pm it's an all Sussex clash between Bognor Regis Town v Lewes at Nyewood Lane.

The Rocks v The Rooks, it promises to be a cracker in front of a big crowd.
If you have never been to Nyewood Lane, it's certainly worth a visit. Plenty of on street parking close by, a spacious clubhouse, plenty of seating and a grass playing surface that looks like a snooker table.
Plus, I guarantee it will be an entertaining game.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
I’m at Arundel v Wick at the moment then off to Bognor v Lewes afterwards. Shame no 7.45 game for a triple header

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
First trip of the season to the Pilot Field today to see Hastings United beat Cray Wanderers 3-0. An impressive crowd of 1088 in attendance to enjoy some late summer sunshine as unbeaten Hastings move up to 6th in the table.

20230828_154903.jpg

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
good 2-0 win today for Worthing against Weymouth

this was my first game of the season at Woodside Road, I do feel like the team has stepped up a bit from last season. I can see another top 6 finish on the cards

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
This afternoon (Mon) at 3pm it's an all Sussex clash between Bognor Regis Town v Lewes at Nyewood Lane.

The Rocks v The Rooks, it promises to be a cracker in front of a big crowd.
If you have never been to Nyewood Lane, it's certainly worth a visit. Plenty of on street parking close by, a spacious clubhouse, plenty of seating and a grass playing surface that looks like a snooker table.
Plus, I guarantee it will be an entertaining game.
Well that was a run of the mill game between Bognor and Lewes.
Bognor took the lead and then Lewes scored two to go in at the break 2-1 up.
Then Bognor game out all guns blazing to pull level and were then awarded a penalty to go 3-2 up.
The referee decided on 5 minutes of added time and in the 95th minute a cross from the left was deflected off a Bognor players head for an own goal
to make it 3-3 at the final whistle.
With the players shaking hands after the final whistle a few things were said and it appeared one of the Lewes coaching staff got a bit close with his head to a Bognor player resulting in some substantial handbags involving about 20 people, ending with the Lewes staff member and Bognor's two central defenders both getting straight red cards after the game.

An entertaining game and a fair result.

View attachment 5D5A1509.JPG

View attachment 5D5A7002.JPG

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
First trip of the season to the Pilot Field today to see Hastings United beat Cray Wanderers 3-0. An impressive crowd of 1088 in attendance to enjoy some late summer sunshine as unbeaten Hastings move up to 6th in the table.

View attachment 165604
They should have prevented the final 22 people getting in.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
They should have prevented the final 22 people getting in.
10 years on I'm still miffed that 1068 away fans made it to the Riverside for Middlesbrough v Hastings United in the FA Cup 3rd round. 2 people out from the crowning glory of that cup run. 😏

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
This. Plus many clubs are run by a committee of old codgers, (certainly true of us at Horsham YMCA), very few of the younger generation are interested in getting truly involved, and the role of groundsman, maintaining a grass pitch, can almost be a full time job at times. A 3G pitch on the other hand virtually looks after itself, and weather related postponements become a thing of the past.

I prefer to see football played on grass too, but having a 3G pitch, is unfortunately the future, where non league football is concerned.
Likewise prefer grass. I went to Lancing today (lost 0-1 to B.Hill). Nice 3G pitch but I know quite a few players who don’t like that it takes the edge off the physical side of the game as you lose several layers of skin in a slide tackle.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
good 2-0 win today for Worthing against Weymouth

this was my first game of the season at Woodside Road, I do feel like the team has stepped up a bit from last season. I can see another top 6 finish on the cards
The Spanish midfielder number 14 really impressed me

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports