Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Non-League Football Thread- 2022/23 Edition

veuve

Jun 27, 2015
I landed from Milan and drove straight to Feltham for Hanworth Villa 3 Littlehampton 2 in the FA Trophy. Littlehampton looked to have won it with a Joe Benn rocket, but two very late goals from Villa sent Golds tumbling out of the competition. The less said about the bahaviour of some of the Littlehampton 'fans' the better. More fines in the post and more reputational damage done. Sigh.
Why,what did they do ?

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
FA Trophy 3rd qualifying round draw made today .

These are the fixtures involving Sussex Clubs

Burgess Hill Town v Hanworth Villa

Horsham v Aveley

Metropolitan Police v Hastings United

Lewes v Sevenoaks Town

Folkestone Invicta v Whitehawk

Bognor Regis Town v Bowers & Pitsea

Fixtures are due to be played on the weekend on Saturday 8th October

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Fa Vase 1st Round proper , matches involving Sussex Clubs

Erith Town v Crawley Down Gatwick

Eastbourne Town v Brook House

Crowborough Athletic v Eversley & California

Peacehaven & Telscombe v Horley Town

Rusthall v Montpelier Villa

Horndean v Bexhill United

Pagham v Sporting Bengal United

Little Common v Milton United

Fixtures are due to be played on the weekend on Saturday 22nd October

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
Why,what did they do ?

Just more of the same really, although they don’t turn up to every game. Smoke bombs on the pitch after goals, some aimed directly at opposition players, really nasty chanting and goading of Villa players (eg. screaming ‘nonce’ and ‘paedo’ through a megaphone). Just so unnecessary. It’s great to have vocal support, but some of them have to take it too far. Very nearly kicked off when the home keeper reacted at one stage. It’s the committee members I feel sorry for; I stood with them on Saturday and you could feel their embarrassment. One even went to try and reason with them during the second half, to no avail. The fines must be racking up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Just more of the same really, although they don’t turn up to every game. Smoke bombs on the pitch after goals, some aimed directly at opposition players, really nasty chanting and goading of Villa players (eg. screaming ‘nonce’ and ‘paedo’ through a megaphone). Just so unnecessary. It’s great to have vocal support, but some of them have to take it too far. Very nearly kicked off when the home keeper reacted at one stage. It’s the committee members I feel sorry for; I stood with them on Saturday and you could feel their embarrassment. One even went to try and reason with them during the second half, to no avail. The fines must be racking up.

I don’t mean to simplify things, but is there a reason they don’t just ban them? I agree, and I tend to avoid LH games when ground hopping as the dickheads are just grating some times. I agree as well that it starts off meaning well and fun, and then often someone will just turn the mood and it goes too far.

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
I don’t mean to simplify things, but is there a reason they don’t just ban them? I agree, and I tend to avoid LH games when ground hopping as the dickheads are just grating some times. I agree as well that it starts off meaning well and fun, and then often someone will just turn the mood and it goes too far.

I’m not sure it’s that easy at the level we’re talking about. Who’s would enforce it, especially at away games? Wouldn’t surprise me if some of them have bans from professional clubs and have turned to non league for their ‘kicks’.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

The old megaphone was always an entertaining accessory on both an away day and the general struggle for the club, however clearly a line is crossed when shouting accusations like paedo and nonce.

As has been touched on in other threads, there does seem to be an underlying theme to the behaviour of a small group of youngsters at football, both Albion and Non League, allegedly fuelled by a readily available Class A drug.

Is there an answer? Not sure, it’s not just football’s problem but societies.

As I said in another thread, the blatant drug use at AJ vs Usyk 1 last September was frankly embarrassing, but what are the Old Bill going to do, nick approaching 3,000 white males between 18-40 on the same night? 🤷*♂️

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I’m not sure it’s that easy at the level we’re talking about. Who’s would enforce it, especially at away games? Wouldn’t surprise me if some of them have bans from professional clubs and have turned to non league for their ‘kicks’.

You are right, nigh on impossible to enforce bans at this level of football. We had a few incidents at Horsham YMCA just before the Covid lockdowns involving one particular regular fan who was making a lot of unsavoury remarks towards visiting players and particularly officials. Some of whom complained tgo the Club.

He was easy to deal with, as a committee we decided to revoke his season ticket, and we all knew who he was, so it was impossible for him to gain admission.

In the Southern Combination we only average crowds of 100 or so, and most of those are regulars and known to us all. In the Isthmian though Littlehampton will be attracting a lot more support, much of which is transient, so dealing with the problem immediately becomes much harder to do.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

Yeah thats definitely part of the problem, a lot are banned at Football League and above level.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Went to Wrexham at the weekend with Torquay, where they lost 6-0. Wrexham's team is ridiculous, its basically a league one side with the quality they have. Wrexham fans were good conversation in pubs and around the ground, remembered Brighton very well for when they helped out when they had their own ground issues. While the money being spent is obscene they are regular 10k crowds so power to them. It was an entertaining away end with a few Torquay fans arguing each other once it went to 5-0 which is always entertaining. One thing that did genuinely irk me though, was that they were filming part of the Disney Plus documentary INSIDE the away end, which the presenter (Jason Mohamed) didn't take too kindly too when he was told to F*** off by a few Torquay fans. However I agree that filming a Wrexham supporter celebrating in the away end is a very arrogant and inflammatory thing to do, which in hindsight they probably won't do again. The loss left the Gulls bottom of the conference and relegation worries are starting to set in, but the budgets that teams have in that league mean that they just can't compete, their squad is crap. I think they'll stay up Gary Johnson is probably the best they are gonna get and he has experience, but it'll be a struggle.

Off down to Shoreham v Worthing United tonight to watch the local derby, Shoreham look a good side this year without my old PE Teacher, so will be interesting to see how their team stacks up compared to some others I've watched in that division (who have all looked very poor).

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Any idea what the 10 year old rivalry the non league paper was going on about?

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
Looks like a very few Littlehampton fans may have caused a spot of bother in the past . Would be good if the club could get a grip before things get out of hand .

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/ashford/news/police-called-to-ashford-united-8993/

Police called to reports of assault and disturbance as Ashford United beat Littlehampton Town 1-0 in FA Vase tie at The Homelands in Kingsnorth

| | |

It goes a lot further back than that. Google the FA Vase semi final at Gresley Rovers in 1991. LA has always had a fair number of troublemakers, whether that’s following Albion or their home Town team. Problem is the higher profile of games following recent success, they’ve crawled out of the woodwork. The committee are ill prepared and financially constrained as to what action to take - they’re just volunteers at the end of the day, they don’t need this sh*t.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Hoping to see CMS tonight as his Bedford team take on Leiston in Southern Premier Central.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Went to Wrexham at the weekend with Torquay, where they lost 6-0. Wrexham's team is ridiculous, its basically a league one side with the quality they have. Wrexham fans were good conversation in pubs and around the ground, remembered Brighton very well for when they helped out when they had their own ground issues. While the money being spent is obscene they are regular 10k crowds so power to them. It was an entertaining away end with a few Torquay fans arguing each other once it went to 5-0 which is always entertaining. One thing that did genuinely irk me though, was that they were filming part of the Disney Plus documentary INSIDE the away end, which the presenter (Jason Mohamed) didn't take too kindly too when he was told to F*** off by a few Torquay fans. However I agree that filming a Wrexham supporter celebrating in the away end is a very arrogant and inflammatory thing to do, which in hindsight they probably won't do again. The loss left the Gulls bottom of the conference and relegation worries are starting to set in, but the budgets that teams have in that league mean that they just can't compete, their squad is crap. I think they'll stay up Gary Johnson is probably the best they are gonna get and he has experience, but it'll be a struggle.

Off down to Shoreham v Worthing United tonight to watch the local derby, Shoreham look a good side this year without my old PE Teacher, so will be interesting to see how their team stacks up compared to some others I've watched in that division (who have all looked very poor).

It begs the question, that if the Wrexham team are of League One quality, and they attract crowds of 10,000, what on earth have they been doing playing in the National League for years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here