[Football] The Non-League Football Thread- 2021/22 Edition

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Steyning took on Horsham YMCA who were one place and a 3 points above them, a decent and enjoyable game, finished 1-1 quite a fair result. Nice beers, great crowd and company, if you haven’t tried non league, you know what? It’s a decent afternoon out.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Disastrous afternoon for Littlehampton in the FA Vase at Athletic Newham. With around 200 noisy away fans in tow (there were barely any home fans present), they looked completely overawed by the occassion and couldn't cope with the horrible, bobbly pitch and a confident, physical opposition. Newham were already 2 (or maybe even 3) ahead when top scorer Joe Benn went down injured. There was a 20-30min pause in play whilst an ambulance was called; I'm told it is a shoulder injury - hopefully nothing worse than a dislocation. That knocked any remaining stuffing out of Littlehampton, who went on to conceed a further three goals and lose 5-0. Very disappointing, gutted for the players.
Oh I'm so sorry to hear that. Hope it's not too bad.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
More like 200 in a 300 crowd

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

370. Lancing's biggest of the season. 40 odd more than the Chi match. I think Albion on a Friday night probably helped a little too.

Great fun. Can't beat a bit of non league. Can't beat a bit of Hawks.

Rock Lobster

Dec 2, 2010
Hastings
As I was unable to get to Whitstable in time to watch Hastings, I watched Little Common play their first league game back at the Rec.
Common enjoyed most of the possession but seemed to lack ideas going forward, ended up 2-2.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
As I was unable to get to Whitstable in time to watch Hastings, I watched Little Common play their first league game back at the Rec.
Common enjoyed most of the possession but seemed to lack ideas going forward, ended up 2-2.

Was also at the Recreation ground yesterday and enjoyed the game , shame the Common couldn't hold to end their win less run of now 11 league games though .

Don't know the official attendance but looked about 200ish

Attachments

• Webp.net-resizeimage(22).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage(22).jpg
    503.9 KB · Views: 114
  • Webp.net-resizeimage(23).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage(23).jpg
    942.4 KB · Views: 110
  • Webp.net-resizeimage(24).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage(24).jpg
    464.5 KB · Views: 109

Rock Lobster

Dec 2, 2010
Hastings
Was also at the Recreation ground yesterday and enjoyed the game , shame the Common couldn't hold to end their win less run of now 11 league games though .

Attendance was 189 according the SCFL fulltime site, more than what most games got in the Isthmian South East. A colleagues son plays for Little Common, so have watched them a few times the past couple of seasons when not watching Hastings/Albion.

Former Hastings man Russell Eldridge still has a blinding left foot, I played a charity game and trained with him a couple of times and is such a joy playing on the wing when he can pick you out a play a diagonal right onto your foot.

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
All of this. There are certainly plenty of players at SCFL clubs who are capable of playing their football at a higher level, many of them though, (it's certainly been the case at Horsham YMCA over the years), who are more than happy staying where they are, enjoy playing with their mates, and having a few pints in the clubhouse after the game.

The higher you rise through the tiers of the non league game, the more serious football becomes, and there is many a player who just wants to keep it as a hobby. A lot to be said for that l think.

Just saw this posted on Twitter, the last few sentences kind of confirm the above

Joe Benn.jpg

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Managed to get two new grounds in this weekend. First of all was off to Margate with a Hornchurch supporting mate, to watch his Hornchurch side score 3 second half goals to win 3-0, apparently their seventh on the bounce. Nice little ground, but one side just seemed to have portacabins and a slope. The stewarding team of 4 or 5 there also probably had a combined age of about 40, good attendance from Hornchurch with about 100 or so travelling fans. Ground 151 and game 98 of the season. There was also someone walking around in an old Withdean era Brighton hat, anyone on here?

Then today I took in FC Romania v Thame United, with the greatest stadium announcer of all time, he literally did not stop talking, and whether it was intentional was very funny, especially with a “I don’t know the players names as I haven’t got a team sheet, so it’s one good player coming on for another good player”. Really friendly atmosphere there as the away side won 4-0 at cheshunt’s stadium which had a beautiful Art Deco stand on one side. Brighton v Chelsea will be my 100th game of the season, so therefore after that I’ll never go to a game of football ever again and combust.

Luckily for the bank balances of the county league that won’t be the case, and I’m off to Croydon FC on Wednesday night, before the emirates on Thursday, heading up to Altrincham on Saturday to watch Torquay take them on, before finishing the week with our away trip to Leicester.

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

That brings back memories when I used to play footy there :thumbsup:

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
Managed to get two new grounds in this weekend. First of all was off to Margate with a Hornchurch supporting mate, to watch his Hornchurch side score 3 second half goals to win 3-0, apparently their seventh on the bounce. Nice little ground, but one side just seemed to have portacabins and a slope. The stewarding team of 4 or 5 there also probably had a combined age of about 40, good attendance from Hornchurch with about 100 or so travelling fans. Ground 151 and game 98 of the season. There was also someone walking around in an old Withdean era Brighton hat, anyone on here?

Then today I took in FC Romania v Thame United, with the greatest stadium announcer of all time, he literally did not stop talking, and whether it was intentional was very funny, especially with a “I don’t know the players names as I haven’t got a team sheet, so it’s one good player coming on for another good player”. Really friendly atmosphere there as the away side won 4-0 at cheshunt’s stadium which had a beautiful Art Deco stand on one side. Brighton v Chelsea will be my 100th game of the season, so therefore after that I’ll never go to a game of football ever again and combust.

Luckily for the bank balances of the county league that won’t be the case, and I’m off to Croydon FC on Wednesday night, before the emirates on Thursday, heading up to Altrincham on Saturday to watch Torquay take them on, before finishing the week with our away trip to Leicester.
Jack Albion how do you get to these games ? Train ? You put in a lot of time to travel how early do you go to this matches & you must get back home very late

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Jack Albion how do you get to these games ? Train ? You put in a lot of time to travel how early do you go to this matches & you must get back home very late

Yes by train, but Margate wasn't too bad and neither was Cheshunt, I'm a regular on the 00:02 London Victoria to Portslade sometimes. Its a labour of love really this season so just trying to get as many grounds done as possible. I'll write a book about it one day probably. Due to my work I have quite an intricate knowledge of timetabling of the railways and engineering works, so know pretty far in advance which route is best, and optimum time to get there.

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
Yes by train, but Margate wasn't too bad and neither was Cheshunt, I'm a regular on the 00:02 London Victoria to Portslade sometimes. Its a labour of love really this season so just trying to get as many grounds done as possible. I'll write a book about it one day probably. Due to my work I have quite an intricate knowledge of timetabling of the railways and engineering works, so know pretty far in advance which route is best, and optimum time to get there.
Good on you jack your family must be very proud of you.mouth here

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017

Given your knowledge and skills, many of us on here will be looking to you for guidance on how best to get to Spurs!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports