Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Non-League Football Thread- 2021/22 Edition

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Shame progress at Southwick. Different days now. When I played County league football we had to pay a sub and match fees. They now play and a public rec with no gate money etc. At that level where is money for pitch hire kit etc supposed to come from if its not the playing members

milliepops

Nov 8, 2011
at home
SCFL fixtures are out today though plenty of sides have posted their first couple of games on Twitter.
FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round is on the weekend of August 7th, few local sides involved in that too.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Shame progress at Southwick. Different days now. When I played County league football we had to pay a sub and match fees. They now play and a public rec with no gate money etc. At that level where is money for pitch hire kit etc supposed to come from if its not the playing members

[TWEET]1413548789491699716[/TWEET]

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017

Yes, a great shame. The business model for clubs at this level is challenging. Few would survive on the basis of gate receipts alone and it’s difficult to get county league players to pay to play - in fact the reverse is true in that some players expect to be paid! I think the front sides of many county league clubs largely exist because they are cross subsidised by their youth teams or by directors / benefactors who are either wonderfully community spirited or have more money than sense!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
SCFL fixtures are out today though plenty of sides have posted their first couple of games on Twitter.
FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round is on the weekend of August 7th, few local sides involved in that too.

Including us at Horsham YMCA, with an away draw at Jersey Bulls!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Yes, a great shame. The business model for clubs at this level is challenging. Few would survive on the basis of gate receipts alone and it’s difficult to get county league players to pay to play - in fact the reverse is true in that some players expect to be paid! I think the front sides of many county league clubs largely exist because they are cross subsidised by their youth teams or by directors / benefactors who are either wonderfully community spirited or have more money than sense!

Except Attilla’s tweet suggests Southwick don’t have the problems you are describing

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Except Attilla’s tweet suggests Southwick don’t have the problems you are describing

I know a few of the Southwick players, they were asked to raise £125 each to play for this season.

They went and found sponsors to raise the money.

The owner turned around and refused the money because it’s against the ‘Southwick Ethos’. He wanted the money to personally come out of the players back pocket.

The lads I know who play for them were passionate about the club, they were playing well below the level they could have been because they wanted to make it work for Southwick. The fact they won every league game last season shows that. For someone who had brought the club to its knees to lecture them about the ‘ethos’ of the club is a f*cking disgrace. I hope a Phoenix club can rise from the whole sorry affair.

Edit: should have read back, most of this had been covered, my bad!

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Anyone have any idea if Southwick's ground has a sports covenant?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Does this mean Southwick have packed up

Going by what was written above all that’s left of the club is a few board members who seem a bit divvy. Literally nothing left from the sound of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Shoreham v Vardenians tomorrow 2pm kick off at middle road. Free entry for this pre season friendly.

Shame in a way that the game isn't being played at AFC Varndeanians home ground, a return to Withdean would have been very interesting after all these years away.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I’ve decided out of Boredom to go to 7 football games this week, and I’m 4 down, went to Burgess Hill on Tuesday to see them draw 1-1 with Crawley with a very dubious equaliser. Saw Littlehampton romp Dorking Wanderers Reserves 4-1 on Wednesday. Made my way to the football hipster home world to see Dulwich Hamlet lose 2-0 to Millwall U23s. A pretty drab 1-1 at Eastbourne Town against Cobham but saw the sunset on the wonderful backdrop of the town hall at the saffrons. Meeting an university friend who supports Southend tomorrow up at Aveley for an 11:30am Kick Off then heading across to East Thurrock for the 3:00pm Kick Off against Southend. Finally finishing it off with Cray Wanderers v Wimbledon on Sunday. Should be enough football after that.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Shame in a way that the game isn't being played at AFC Varndeanians home ground, a return to Withdean would have been very interesting after all these years away.

Looking at doing Withdean again on 7th August as Varndeanians take on my local side Farnham Town in the FA Cup ,least i know it will be a decent pub trip.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here