Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The NHS ..... our NHS

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Another bump

Just been out to get some milk and in the Lancing/Shoreham area alone the shops, cafes and pavements are chocka with pensioners. A combination of misplaced stoicism and complete ignorance. If they’re not concerned for themselves it’s disappointing to see they clearly don’t give a hoot about the impending tsunami they’re about to bring down on the NHS staff.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Another bump

Just been out to get some milk and in the Lancing/Shoreham area alone the shops, cafes and pavements are chocka with pensioners. A combination of misplaced stoicism and complete ignorance. If they’re not concerned for themselves it’s disappointing to see they clearly don’t give a hoot about the impending tsunami they’re about to bring down on the NHS staff.

Must be a different Shoreham to the one i've seen for the past few days.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I have had more dealings with the NHS over the last 20 years than anyone would want.
They have literally saved my life on numerous occasions, I’m so glad now that their selfless professionalism is being recognised for the massive benefit to our entire country that it is.

I can’t say it enough, thank you to everyone who works for this marvellous organisation, you are the best of us.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
midnight_rendezvous;9285783[B said:
]I doubt it. People (as a whole) are remarkably lacking in self awareness.[/B] Case in point, you’ve shared a link to a newspaper who has a history of attacking the NHS and backs a political party that has, over the years, attempted to dismantle and privatise it, whilst criminally underfunding it... :whistle:

But thankfully, all those millions lacking in self-awareness have got you to point out the error of their unfortunate ways. And, inevitably, but sadly, a poster desperate to make political capital of it all.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Today must be an outlier then, based on what I've witnessed.

It’s quieter in general but I’m in town most days and there’s a lot of oldies out. Let’s hope they can give the NHS a break and get them in enforced isolation soon.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Had to go along to the Susex County today. It was eerily quiet. The lull before the storm. Major outpatient cancellations and limited A&E. Someone in a local shop told me that a Doctor told him they have time to play Connect 4 it's so quiet. Awful to think how quickly that's going to change for all involved.

I had a flare up of iritis in my eye a visit that usually takes about 2-3 hours in eye casualty every 5-8 years that it occurs. Today I had to ring reception from the street, tell them the problem, give date of Birth and got told to wait. 5 minutes later someone popped out and gave me the prescription for the steroid drops. No waiting and medical history used for verification of previous prescription. Very efficient saving of hospital time and prevention of my potential spreading.
Obviously if first time I'd have been checked over. If no improvement in 48 Hours I've been told to go back.

Those on the front line should be given huge holidays/sabaticals when appropriate.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I’m trying not to go out at all at the moment but had to go to our local post office today as in amongst everything I’d forgotten my driving license was about to expire and the shopping centre was full of over 70’s. Bizarre.

Speaking to my parents who are mid 60’s, they’re too relaxed about things at the moment too. I’m trying to reason with them but there is definitely a sense of complacency even now amongst a large section of our older society. Worrying.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
But thankfully, all those millions lacking in self-awareness have got you to point out the error of their unfortunate ways. And, inevitably, but sadly, a poster desperate to make political capital of it all.

Political capital? By pointing out the NHS has fewer resources to deal with this crisis because of the current government’s policies? ??? The Tories have devastated the NHS over the last 10 years. You call pointing that out ‘making political capital’. I call it holding our government to account.

Yoda

English & European
Whilst there is rightly lots of praise for doctors, nurses, HCA's, Paramedics etc. please do not forget to remember the back office engine room of managers, admins, clerks, porters, maintenance, cleaners etc. who are having to be flexible and working their butts off covering for isolated colleagues, creating capacity, and keeping things going, performing above and beyond in these trying times. The front line Acute, Community and Primary care etc. services cannot perform without the incredible back-office support that they receive.

#I’m Proud to work in the NHS

Don't forget those of us in IT frantically setting up people with the facility to work remotely. Whether that be building laptops, setting up VPN access etc. All while, in my departments case at least, having to work from home with out that direct support next to us (we don't know everything you know :wink: )

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Whilst there is rightly lots of praise for doctors, nurses, HCA's, Paramedics etc. please do not forget to remember the back office engine room of managers, admins, clerks, porters, maintenance, cleaners etc. who are having to be flexible and working their butts off covering for isolated colleagues, creating capacity, and keeping things going, performing above and beyond in these trying times. The front line Acute, Community and Primary care etc. services cannot perform without the incredible back-office support that they receive.

#I’m Proud to work in the NHS

I’d also say supermarket workers deserve a lot of appreciation. The abuse and behaviour they are having to put up with from the great British public at the moment is something else. My other half has a part time job at a local supermarket and some of the things she’s told me that have happened there in the past week or so are disgusting.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
They should get a serious pay rise after this, I doubt it though.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I have had more dealings with the NHS over the last 20 years than anyone would want.
They have literally saved my life on numerous occasions, I’m so glad now that their selfless professionalism is being recognised for the massive benefit to our entire country that it is.

I can’t say it enough, thank you to everyone who works for this marvellous organisation, you are the best of us.

We’ll see how things pan out though in the coming months LLF.. I too have had recent cause to thank the NHS for 2 family related illnesses that might have been tragic if not so brilliantly and quickly dealt with..
My fear is it’ll be back to ....NHS slating... within months by the usual MPs , Newspapers etc.

Watching nurses doing 12 hours shifts to get away from the old days because of time saved on handover periods boils my blood... 12 hour shifts wtf.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Ground my gears the way Rooney claimed footballers were guinea pigs in all this. It's rather telling that all the rich and famous have had tests and consequently pulled their industries weeks ago.

The guinea pigs are the poor ****ers that HAVE to work now regardless of the situation. Still very early days in the understanding of the virus and many have to face high exposure trying to save lives and keep society running. Checkout assistants, cleaners, bus drivers, post workers and deliveries just a few. I even had Thames Water** digging up outside my flat yesterday over a leak, much to my dismay.

Fair play to anyone that has to work right now and sympathies to anyone that has lost work or been laid off or lost work, but stay positive that more work is around the corner after all this. Praise be the NHS and after all of this make sure we continue to value the work they do. When a politician argues the idea of having to pay more tax, just consider where it goes.

Hope this finds everyone in good health. Don't go to the pub tonight. Don't flush toilet paper alternatives** if you're unfortunate enough to be without a bog roll.

mrjon1976

Found bliss in ignorance
Jul 25, 2011
gravesend
I work in the NHS - merely admin but act as clinical support to a team of 5 doctors. This week, the hospital in which I work (not in Sussex) has cancelled all "non-urgent" outpatient appointments, leaving me to contact and rebook around 1200 patients as a starting point. Due to staff self-isolating, I have also had to help prepare wards for the influx of COVID-19 patients that are expected imminently. I have lost count of the hours I have worked this week above my normal ones. I am exhausted (as are many of my colleagues who work far harder and longer than me) so it really boils my p*ss seeing people in pubs etc on the news, not following the advice given. Then to rub salt in the wounds, by the time I finish, I then spend hours trawling around supermarkets looking for the scraps that no one else wants. I cannot begin to explain how soul-destroying that is. I used to work in retail, and have many friends who are subjected to the most heinous of abuse for just doing their job. There are so many heroes out there who are doing their bit to make things easier for others. From this NHS worker to the shop assistants, teachers, delivery drivers...basically every single person helping to keep this country going - Thank You

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Political capital? By pointing out the NHS has fewer resources to deal with this crisis because of the current government’s policies? ??? The Tories have devastated the NHS over the last 10 years. You call pointing that out ‘making political capital’. I call it holding our government to account.

Stop it.

Let’s all focus on the great things the NHS is doing and deal with the here and now. My other half is an overworked NHS ward sister and she’s more concerned about getting people through this rather than moaning about government policy.

There a time and place for that sort of stuff and it isn’t now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If there's one good thing to come out of this shit, it's that it will be political suicide for any political party for the next generation, and hopefully far beyond, that dares even THINK about selling off the NHS by the pound :wave:

Nation-scaring, Mrs Brown's Boys-promoting BBC on the other hand? They can furk RIGHT off. C***s :wave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here