[Football] The next Tottenham manager

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Eerily similar to the scene in Extras where his tart girlfriend asks for lunch money…
Ha, I'm pretty sure it was intentionally rather than eerily

Great episode though. Him, Chegwin and Barry were the best things in Extras (and Life's Too Short).

I would've loved a spin off series of the 3 of them going round the clubs trying to revive their careers. So much pathos there.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Why are managers always wanted men (or women)?
Who would Cannon be without Ball, Morecombe without Wise, Ant without Dec and Brighton without Tony.
It's not just the manager, it's everyone from the top including the players and the system a team play. When certain players come on the market people on here shout 'not for us, not our style'. Potter at Chelsea proves a good manager needs players who stick with his system. So would RDZ be able to work with Son & Keane or, put into reality, would Son & Keane work with RDZ's system of play?
Here he is a cog in a huge wheel that has reached 5th gear and running smoothly.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Ha, I'm pretty sure it was intentionally rather than eerily

Great episode though. Him, Chegwin and Barry were the best things in Extras (and Life's Too Short).

I would've loved a spin off series of the 3 of them going round the clubs trying to revive their careers. So much pathos there.
Wonderful show wasn’t it! Sorry to go off topic… I know it’s base and ridiculous, but the whole Les Dennis episode is just wonderful. The scenes from the “panto” never fail to make me laugh. Also McKellen’s episode with his “Wizard you shall not pass” speech. Beautiful.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If Levy thought that Poch was the best manager for Spurs then why hasn't he already sacked Conte?

1. There is bugger all of Conte's contract left to pay up.
2. Poch is currently in London and immediately available, no compensation to pay.
3. Spurs more likely to finish in Championship League spot without Conte than with him.
4. Harry Kane more likely to leave in the summer if the club drift now.

What worries me is that Levy thinks there is a better option than Poch, and that man is De Zerbi.

I also wonder whether Levy himself is now ready to cash in on Kane and give the new manager the funds to rebuild.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If Levy thought that Poch was the best manager for Spurs then why hasn't he already sacked Conte?

2. Poch is currently in London and immediately available, no compensation to pay.
3. Spurs more likely to finish in Championship League spot without Conte than with him.

What worries me is that Levy thinks there is a better option than Poch, and that man is De Zerbi.

I also wonder whether Levy himself is now ready to cash in on Kane and give the new manager the funds to rebuild.
Saw this twitter thread earlier:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Tottenham experts were discussing this on TS earlier. Ego's come into it, Poch told Levy that significant players investment was required after the CL Final defeat, they fell out and perhaps Poch was correct. Their hope is that within days those differences are buried and Poch replaces Conte.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Tottenham experts were discussing this on TS earlier. Ego's come into it, Poch told Levy that significant players investment was required after the CL Final defeat, they fell out and perhaps Poch was correct. Their hope is that within days those differences are buried and Poch replaces Conte.
I so hope that they do kiss and make up, the prospect of Daniel Levy & co chasing their possible number two candidate, fills me with dread.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Les Dennis tells a great Amanda Holden story that I recently heard.

A plumber was round their house and in walks Amanda into the kitchen

"It's the Grand National today, I was going to go down the bookies and put a bet on"
"Oh OK, how much do you want"
"20 quid?"
"Yeah fine, wallets over there"

On that Amanda walks out the room and the plumber turns to Les "Kids eh"
At work 25 years ago there was a brilliant book of funny cartoons …. wish I’d kept it. Including this version of the Fairy Liquid TV ad.

D049E269-ED56-472B-B543-1F80232D3757.png

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
De Zerbi’s style has Tottenham written all over it :down:
Need to play out the rest of the season first to comment further. If we lose the next few league games get beaten by Grimsby I will begin to believe you're right.

For then we will be Spursy and a perfect fit.

Reactions: SAC

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Um? Graham Potter?
Even GP needed a season or two before there was talk of other clubs having an interest in him. De Zerbi has only been with us literally six months and the vultures are circling.

Let them circle.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Sky Sports trying to ramp up the speculation, even attempting to big up an interview with De Zerbi. Only for him to say he is happy at Brighton, is under a long contract and can see him and his team, no, writing history for the club.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Well he wasn't completely unknown was he? in this country at least, having managed Swansea in the Championship, and his antics with Ostergard in Europe previously.

Roberto De Zerbi though, who had really heard of him over here?
I think internationally, Roberto De Zerbi was a bigger name when he came than Graham was, coaching for four or five years in the Italian top division and then moving to the powerhouse that is Shakhtar.
I'd say there's not "over night" for any of them though. Both had to take the difficult way to reach the top and slowly built their reputations over time. Chris Hughton arguably fits the "no one to someone" description better, going from being some random assistant manager/coach for many, many years before suddenly getting the Newcastle job and doing great immediately.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Brighton manager De Zerbi on his future at the club after reports linked him with a move to Tottenham:

"I have a long contract with Brighton and I'm happy to work here.

"I enjoy working with these players, I'm delighted with their performance. I can't ask for more, it's a good moment in my life."

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Brighton manager De Zerbi on his future at the club after reports linked him with a move to Tottenham:

"I have a long contract with Brighton and I'm happy to work here.

"I enjoy working with these players, I'm delighted with their performance. I can't ask for more, it's a good moment in my life."
The expected answer. He was never going to say "yeah I'm f***ing off there tomorrow" or "nah they're shit and I'm waiting for Chelsea instead".
If they qualify for the Champions League and ask him, I don't see him staying - too ambitious for that.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The Independent reporting Spurs have a five-man shortlist, and De Zerbi isn't one of the five...

It's well known Mauricio Pochettino would go back, with some of the players still pining for that era.​
Spurs would also strongly consider Brentford's Thomas Frank, with all of Marco Silva, Thomas Tuchel and Luis Enrique on the radar but seen as less likely for different reasons.​

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports