Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] The next Dr Who is another blooming jock

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Probably best to start with Christopher Eccleston's first series (he's the 9th Doctor). So Series One of the reboot from 2005. If you like the next 14 Seasons or so then you can go back to the Classic Series and watch the first 27 seasons which started in 1963 in black and white. That should keep you going until your retirement!

For Gods sake, don't start him on Eccleston. Just a professional northerner mugging his way through. Almost any other choice apart from Whittaker or McCoy. Oh, hang on. I forgot we all have differing opinions on the best Dr:facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I had the pleasure of rewatching the entire reboot from the first Ecclepisode. I was extremely surprised by what I found.

Eccleston - enjoyed a lot first time round and enjoyed to the same extent on second watch.
Tennant - loved him first time around, second time I felt a bit disappointed with some episodes, and (whisper it) his gurning mockney schtik.
Smith - easily the best ever Doctor on first viewing - great story arc. Still loved it second time around, but less so.
Capaldi - hugely disappointed first time round. Really enjoyed it second time, heavyweight in the way Tennant now seems lightweight. I was surprised.
Whittacker - not bad first time round, but hard to wach her strange open-mouthed gawp. A bit better second time round but a bit Blue Peter. I kept expecting to be shown how to make a Dalek out of toilet rolls.

Overall, Smith, Capaldi, Rose and The Impossible Girl have been the best of the reboot, oh, and Missy, and the John Simm Master, Bernard Cribbins, the rebooted Cybermen (I could go on), and with many stories quite spectacular. My favourites (tear jerkers) were the music of the Ood, and Vincent Van Gough. Check these out [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV7Ps-Y5glg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubTJI_UphPk&t=6s

And here is the whole sonng of the OOD if anyone's interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G227GG6LD4

Last edited:

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
For Gods sake, don't start him on Eccleston. Just a professional northerner mugging his way through. Almost any other choice apart from Whittaker or McCoy. Oh, hang on. I forgot we all have differing opinions on the best Dr:facepalm:

Don't even think about having a go at McCoy otherwise I'm coming round there :D
But seriously he has to start from Eccleston if starting from scratch otherwise it won't make sense.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Eccleston - enjoyed a lot first time round and enjoyed to the same extent on second watch.
Tennant - loved him first time around, second time I felt a bit disappointed with some episodes, and (whisper it) his gurning mockney schtik.
Smith - easily the best ever Doctor on first viewing - great story arc. Still loved it second time around, but less so.
Capaldi - hugely disappointed first time round. Really enjoyed it second time, heavyweight in the way Tennant now seems lightweight. I was surprised.
Whittacker - not bad first time round, but hard to wach her strange open-mouthed gawp. A bit better second time round but a bit Blue Peter. I kept expecting to be shown how to make a Dalek out of toilet rolls.

Overall, Smith, Capaldi, Rose and The Impossible Girl have been the best of the reboot, oh, and Missy, and the John Simm Master, Bernard Cribbins, the rebooted Cybermen (I could go on), and with many stories quite spectacular. My favourites (tear jerkers) were the music of the Ood, and Vincent Van Gough.

My girlfriend and I rewatched the lot over lockdown.

We've both got different favourite Doctors (Smith for me, Tennant for her) but what we both found was that we enjoyed watching Capaldi the most. Apart from some dodgy Moffatt-era story gymnastics and those sodding sonic sunglasses it's a pretty excellent run.

I enjoyed Tennant far less this time around. His teeth gnashing and "no no yes? NO! YES!!" way of solving problems wore a bit thin. He's still incredible though.

My faves: 1) Smith 2) Pertwee 3) Eccleston 4) Baker T
I'm willing on the Daleks: 1) McCoy 2) Baker C, 3) Tennant 4) Whittaker

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Quite often new Doctor's are a bit left field or WTF ...nothing surprising really by the latest incarnation.
I'll give it a go when he's on but not sure if he can arrest the slow downward spiral of the programme post Tennant.

Of all the recent time lords surely this incarnation has the greatest chance of turning round the seemingly terminal decline of the franchise.

After all this one will be able to draw on his experience of getting out of one shithole only to arrive in a similar shithole but without any sun…..after all Gallifrey must be a right shithole if the Doctor isn’t willing to leave earth?

Even the Daleks won’t hold any fear for someone that lived amongst the toothless, glue sniffing, jelly dropping, heroin addicts in Buckfastland.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Ncuti Gatwa

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ncuti_Gatwa

Never heard of him, which is a definite plus with Dr Whos, as they are not already imprinted as another character. Star of radio comedy (Pertwee - I ask you). Tom Baker - never heard of him and he was great.

(Mind you, the idea of Malcolm Tucker as Dr who pleased me greatly. And I liked Eccleston already.)

So... I'm excited.

I hope he uses his Dunfirmline accent.

Apologies if there is aready a thread and it has already sunk to page 3. Not that I would ever sink to page 3 :eek:

(Obviously language trigger warning)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1524013330725232642[/tweet]

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
UniformWanEwe-max-1mb.gif

Tonight's the night!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Glad Jodie is moving on. The odd great episode but otherwise it has been mostly dull. Not necessarily her fault though as some episodes badly written.

The comeback of Russell T guarantees greatness for the next chap.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What ?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's ok, guys, we have spoiler tags now!

I think my initial thought is that I really enjoyed that episode.

So many former doctors! It looked like Ncuti was in that mind zone we saw Jodie in for with the other doctors, so it looks like that's going to be part of the story. Perhaps only one epsiode, perhaps it'll be dragged out to the anniversary episode? I'm not sure what the timeline is for that. Some wibbly wobbly timey wimey thing caused by the reversed regeneration. I like that they're using David Bradley for Hartnell now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here