Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] The New Brighton Station taxi rank

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Hove Station doesn't work for St Anne's Well, Bedford Square or Hangleton areas etc in Hove.

In the rush hour periods instead of a Taxi just turning straight into Hove from the station the choice now will be:

Queue along New England St, I call this one the death wait, to then go up New England Hill to Five Ways and into Hove.

Go up Trafalgar Street and queue at Frederick Street to cross Queens Road and into Hove.

Drive down to Valley Gardens and turn right at the pier and into Hove.

If I was needing a taxi to go to Hangleton, I'd get the train from Brighton to Portslade and get a taxi from the rank there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You sound like a fan of the huge multi national American company that's recently moved $6.1 billion of "intellectual property" from there tax haven in Bermuda to Holland to avoid any tax liability in the UK and Europe for a very long time, the company that has refused to take any part in the United States Senate investigation into the astonishing number of murders, kidnaps and rapes connected to there drivers, the company that is currently in court accused of stealing money from 100,000 of there below minium wage californian drivers while executives buy 1 Billion dollar houses overlooking san Francisco bay,, the company that was given only a Unprecedented 3 month license to operate in London because of the high number of there drivers caught without hire and reward car insurance after vehicle accidents, just download one of the local companys apps and pay buy card, and don't give your money to the Saudi Arabian murders who are one of the biggest investors in the company who's ceo compares a murder and dismembered body of a journalist to the mistake of mowing down and killing a women by there autonomous car that had been involved in 67 previously unreported accidents!!
I'll just put you down as a 'maybe', ok!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
If I was needing a taxi to go to Hangleton, I'd get the train from Brighton to Portslade and get a taxi from the rank there.

I wouldn't get a train, taxi or bus so I don't really care. All I am doing is suggesting how it maybe more hassle now for taxi drivers and customers, who may also have young children and luggage, and they only need to get up to Five Ways during the rush hour as an example. I'm not going to give a 1000 different scenarios but there will be people who may not want to change trains and wait for the Hove train into Portslade and then take a taxi anyway. I know I have in the past I got off at Brighton Station and jumped in a taxi to Hove.

It will be interesting to hear the views of those who actually use the train and taxi service.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Isn’t/wasn’t there a shared street in Brighton? Possibly New Road? How is that pilot going?

Yes this is not just exclusive to pedestrians and cycles though. It has a nice paved over look it (except for the but rogered by british gas thanks for that) pretends to be this but in reality it is open to all traffic (both ways) festival takovers and closures deliverys and cars pretending they are lost, pedestrians thinking its a closed street wandering aimlessly across it and drunks/homeless competing with product advertisements sales people.
If I were to mark it from the level of poo to excellent it would get a poo + 1 and what I fear may happen with the new development.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
What has this new rank done to the dropping off area where you could wait for 20 minutes.
Made it deliberately confusing, with just a few bays now marked as 20 mins drop off, and it will all end in tears and useless but threatening court claims in 2020 because - unless the back of the station has changed enforcement to the Council, which I doubt as it's privately owned - the notorious One Parking Solution are there with their ANPR cameras and fake tickets and threatograms.

I predict a series of newspaper articles in 2020 with taxi drivers and ordinary locals with 'sad face' expressions, holding up their fake parking tickets to illustrate them stupidly saying they've paid the fake PCN like it's a real one, and they were scared/had more money than sense/forgot how to Google when a demand arrived for £160 that OPS can't actually get. And there will be comments under each article telling them they deserved it and not to park 'illegally', that the 'parking warden' must be right and that surely the unlit/tiny signs are clear.

The front of the station is Council enforced as that's a public road.

The back is likely to be scam city, thanks to the (reportedly) 'thug' ex-clampers OPS. I have heard two first hand accounts of the thuggery and threats these 'big boys' used when they used to clamp cars before their fun was made illegal, so that word is a direct quote from victims.

That is what I reckon will happen. OPS will be rubbing their hands with glee at the idea of 'sitting ducks' literally lined up in a row to get fined, in the form of our taxi drivers if they dare contravene an imaginary rule in the dark.

If I am wrong that this area is another OPS cash cow site, perhaps the 'BHA fan' Director can post and put the story straight and explain why they do what they do, to the good people of Sussex.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Looks a disaster in the making from what I observed last Friday. Queues of taxis trying to get fares, cars waiting on drop off areas blocking taxis getting out then the gridlock around New England Street. Grim.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Do what those who know what they're doing do. 2 min stroll down Queens Rd, cut through Air St and get a taxi from near the old ice rink.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Used the new rank in earnest for the first time today. It’s way way better...and the front of the station looks far better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here