Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The new breed of albion fans......(Not specifically JCL)

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Now this new ground of ours will bring the 4000-5000 season ticket holders over from withdean, X amount of old school fans from the goldstone days who departed us back in 97, it will also bring as were all aware new fans who are pretend premiership fans who shout at TV screens in pubs all over sussex on sunday afternoons, in my mind all are welcome and the more the merrier however.......................

Some games this season have mildly concerned me in how the fans have acted and im a little worried that its a sign of things to come.

Certain away games like Bournemouth, MK dons and booing your team at home to FC United & im sure others can add their own, have seen a clux of scum attending the games, slaughtering our players, starting on other albion fans and generally acting like they have just been released from young offenders insitutute.

I do worry that at the Amex were going to have this behaviour carried on, now I dont want to sound like one of those Argus comments section moaners in the paper itself and I personally shout my mouth off for 90 minutes in support of the lads and will try my hardest to get an atmos going home and away, I just hope the scum that I have seen grow this season stay very much a minority at the new staduim and at away games as the club as a whole doesnt need these fans to be honest.

I dont want Gus walking away because these plebs are booing everytime were not 3-0 up at half time or losing at home to a very good ex prem side, which will happen next season...make no bones about it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Seems to be a rather ignorant post. There are plenty of sth who slate their own players. You also seem to forget the group of fans that have and always will be Brighton fans but have only attended irregularly at Withdean, of which I suspect there are many. In the grand scheme of things, I suspect that JCLs only form a very small minority of the 18k tickets sold. Even so, they are very welcome as in the next couple of years we may have an additional 10k of season tickets to sell.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Seems to be a rather ignorant post. There are plenty of sth who slate their own players. You also seem to forget the group of fans that have and always will be Brighton fans but have only attended irregularly at Withdean, of which I suspect there are many. In the grand scheme of things, I suspect that JCLs only form a very small minority of the 18k tickets sold. Even so, they are very welcome as in the next couple of years we may have an additional 10k of season tickets to sell.

Ignorant in what way exactly. If you read my post properly its not a dig at JCL's as clearly stated in the title of the thread itself, its certain fans behaviour starting to turn. which obviously will happen with extra fans going to albion games, doesnt mean you have to like it though.

Slating your own players as in, " Barnes you facccking Cu*t, Ankergreeeen your total shi*"

I for one wont put up with people doing that.

What i've seen behaviour wise at away games this season, I havent seen in years. Proper proper scum sounding like they have just crawled out from a cave.

So suddenly thats just happened has it?

In regards to the fact you say they are very welcome, then I hope they are sat next to you making your ears bleed with their unrealistic and crazed rants that are so out of context its quite ridiculous.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I agree with the sentiments of the opening post. It is a concern. Some of the people I know who have bought Season Tickets are the typical plastic premiership fan. However that is a result of the success of the club and the upside far outweighs the downside. All the time we are winning it won't be a problem.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Ignorant in what way exactly. If you read my post properly its not a dig at JCL's as clearly stated in the title of the thread itself, its certain fans behaviour starting to turn. which obviously will happen with extra fans going to albion games, doesnt mean you have to like it though.

Slating your own players as in, " Barnes you facccking Cu*t, Ankergreeeen your total shi*"

I for one wont put up with people doing that.

What i've seen behaviour wise at away games this season, I havent seen in years. Proper proper scum sounding like they have just crawled out from a cave.

Blessed is the man
who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked
or stand in the way of sinners
or sit in the seat of mockers.

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
Certain away games like Bournemouth, MK dons and booing your team at home to FC United & im sure others can add their own, have seen a clux of scum attending the games, slaughtering our players, starting on other albion fans and generally acting like they have just been released from young offenders insitutute.

Yeah, cos only young fans could act like idiots, right? :rolleyes:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
As long as the players put in a good shift then a defeat is acceptable against a good team. Criticism comes as part of the life of a pro footballer and manager! But unnecessary abuse is out of order.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I understand where you are coming from byf, I think it is bang out of order to boo your own team, I am not saying the odd FFS when the odd pass goes astray, but shouting obscenities to individuals just isn't right. But hopefully the majority will drown out the idiots.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
byf is clearly not having a go at new supporters here. His comment chimes with a few other recent posts about the behaviour of a few (highly vocal and abusive) people at away games. It is inevitable that as you move from a very modest fan base of die-hard (or just plain addicted) supporters to a broader base of fans that some of the thugs will gravitate towards the club - they were there at the Goldstone and perhaps we were less sensitive to their behaviour back then?

I'd hope that if this become a consistent issue - where fellow "fans" are abusing people who simply want to enjoy the game - then real Albion fans (no matter how many games they have, or have not, been to) would step in.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Am I the only one that isn't bothered with all this new fan hysteria?

OK so a load of pricks from school who laughed when I wore my Brighton shirt will now show up giving it the 'uber fan' - I don't care. They're Brighton now and that's all that matters. We're a club going places and that means the whole mentality of the club has had to change. It started in the boardroom and with the backroom staff and it's now working its way around the fanbase. Hold on tight chaps, it'd going to be one hell of a ride and I'm praying, literally praying, we can emulate clubs like Hull, Wigan, Sunderland, Blackpool etc

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Am I the only one that isn't bothered with all this new fan hysteria?

OK so a load of pricks from school who laughed when I wore my Brighton shirt will now show up giving it the 'uber fan' - I don't care. They're Brighton now and that's all that matters. We're a club going places and that means the whole mentality of the club has had to change. It started in the boardroom and with the backroom staff and it's now working its way around the fanbase. Hold on tight chaps, it'd going to be one hell of a ride and I'm praying, literally praying, we can emulate clubs like Hull, Wigan, Sunderland, Blackpool etc

Biscuit - I don't think byf is complaining about new fans per se. He seems clear about that. He's just making an observations (that others have made too) about a certain type of supporter who also seem to be creeping out of the woodwork. I'm a huge advocate of "come one, come all" but based on a few posts from various posters, there could be a small number of nasty bits of work becoming more visible esp at away games.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Biscuit - I don't think byf is complaining about new fans per se. He seems clear about that. He's just making an observations (that others have made too) about a certain type of supporter who also seem to be creeping out of the woodwork. I'm a huge advocate of "come one, come all" but based on a few posts from various posters, there could be a small number of nasty bits of work becoming more visible esp at away games.

Yeah sorry that wasn't a dig at byf at all. I was just commenting on the wider issue of having lots of newer fans join the party!

I've noticed a slight increase in the number of 'nasty bits' I must say, I think it's just a case of not knowing how to behave. If the majority lead by example and aren't afraid to speak up when they see something they're not happy with I think it'll all be dealt with within a couple of seasons!

This might not relate to how this thread is meaning - but there are a growing number of young kids who have caught onto the local Albion success and the interest with the Stadium.
I know some in Lewes who are enthralled by it all happening on their doorstep - and though they all seemed to own Arsenal, Chelsea and United shirts, they've naturally picked up the scent about BHAFC so close to them.

It doesn't take long really, with those kids, to have them attach to The Albion and start going regularly - something our club has promoted for some time now anyway. When we all get to see a match at The Amex - I can see it growing in proportion and in intensity quite easily if we can put in some good competitive games in the next league.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Now this new ground of ours will bring the 4000-5000 season ticket holders over from withdean, X amount of old school fans from the goldstone days who departed us back in 97, it will also bring as were all aware new fans who are pretend premiership fans who shout at TV screens in pubs all over sussex on sunday afternoons, in my mind all are welcome and the more the merrier however.......................

Some games this season have mildly concerned me in how the fans have acted and im a little worried that its a sign of things to come.

I do worry that at the Amex were going to have this behaviour carried on, now I dont want to sound like one of those Argus comments section moaners in the paper itself and I personally shout my mouth off for 90 minutes in support of the lads and will try my hardest to get an atmos going home and away, I just hope the scum that I have seen grow this season stay very much a minority at the new staduim and at away games as the club as a whole doesnt need these fans to be honest.

I dont want Gus walking away because these plebs are booing everytime were not 3-0 up at half time or losing at home to a very good ex prem side, which will happen next season...make no bones about it.
This is so correct...top post!

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I think you are making this to be specific to us, this is a problem with our society in general we as a nation have become far less torrelant and are no longer willing to wait therefore people become frustrusted quick. I fear even if it was possible to fill Falmer with the same 20K from the Gldstone in the 70's the level of whinging would be increased and from what I remember there were plenty of people leveling abuse at player then, although it did seem to contain a high comdey content.
We should all chill, wait for August and see what happens, you may find it actually improves, who knows!

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun

Until you posted this I had you down as someone who had supported the Albion regularly throughout the Withdean years at least. Now you either haven't been to the ground much before this season or you have recently had a hearing problem cured. Virtually every season there have been a loud but audible minority who are only happy when they're moaning. The last few seasons at least they have been in a large area towards the back of C block at least. One of the worst moaners is actually one of the club's own matchday staff, still wearing his suit and 'access all areas' pass. It would not be appropriate to name him. Every manager in the last 12 years has had the same problem and has said something in the press at the time. This is not a new phenomenom - it was there at the Goldstone as well - and it will still be there at the Amex. I don't like to hear it either but it won't go away even if we win the champions league. Just live with it or give 'em a bit of your own mind back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here