Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The NEW £60million Falmer Stadium

Colbourne Kid

Sep 19, 2003
There are two stages to the process. First the council as landowner will approve the changes (this afternoon) then probably in January they will consider the application via the planning committee.

Call in is by the Government not the council and there is no chance of that happening becuase the gov't has already approved the principle on which it was called in before (i.e. development in AONB).

So it is down to us as fans to support the applciation when the Club let us have the number.

fozzie's headband

Jul 26, 2004
Heathfield
That is my understanding. I'd hoped that Lord B was around to confirm, but as I understand it, it's down to B&H council, they could decide to call it in, in which case we are in deep doo doo - if that happens, we can expect all manner of "interested parties" putting in their views. If we are to believe the club, however, they have stated that there is very little chance that the Council will call it in as the updated plans are not sufficiently different from those originally agreed. Of course, there is nothing to stop SDS & Co lobbying Council members, but the Council have been behind us for a long time now, so hopefully this is just another hurdle that we're able to jump over cleanly.

Where's Lord B when we need him eh?!

That sounds reassuring especially as it's been recommended for approval.

Presumably we will get the chance soon to register our support for the application.
I think on this occasion we really need to rally round and get as many people as possible to do this, hopefully for one last time.

That is my understanding. I'd hoped that Lord B was around to confirm, but as I understand it, it's down to B&H council, they could decide to call it in, in which case we are in deep doo doo - if that happens, we can expect all manner of "interested parties" putting in their views. If we are to believe the club, however, they have stated that there is very little chance that the Council will call it in as the updated plans are not sufficiently different from those originally agreed. Of course, there is nothing to stop SDS & Co lobbying Council members, but the Council have been behind us for a long time now, so hopefully this is just another hurdle that we're able to jump over cleanly.

I think it is the Secretary of State who decides to "call in" a planning application, not the local planning authority (ie BHC Council in this case).
If the changes are related to H&S/building regulation developments since the initial applicationwas made and there are only marginal (if any) amendments to the exterior then I can't see HMG being bothered. The chalk has always had to be removed somewhere but it will probably be cheaper to "dump" it locally and provide some landscaped shielding for the local residents. From my recollection of the Falmer meeting at Hove Town Hall, MP indicated that the village (FPC?) are generally in favour of this scenario so I would expect SDS to look fairly isolated if they do object.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Where's Lord B when we need him eh?!

That sounds reassuring especially as it's been recommended for approval.

Presumably we will get the chance soon to register our support for the application.
I think on this occasion we really need to rally round and get as many people as possible to do this, hopefully for one last time.

Believe me, Colbourne Kid knows what he's one about. Really.

:thumbsup:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
To give hopefully more reassurance Brighton Council's Major Projects committee is meeting today at 5.00pm. It will act for the Council as Landowner of the Falmer Site. It is considering an 8 page report on the stadium.

Here is the Key Part:
1 SUMMARY AND POLICY CONTEXT

1.1 The purpose of this report is to seek the council’s approval as landowner of the major part of the site for the Community Stadium to the form of the proposed new planning application for the development.

2 RECOMMENDATIONS

2.1 (1) That the Council as landowner approves the form of the planning application for stadium changes and chalk reprofiling which is proposed to be submitted by The Community Stadium Ltd for consideration by the council as Local Planning Authority.

So assuming all goes well today the planning committee will receive a clear steer from this important group when it meets in December or january to give planning permission.

Last edited:

Jimmy Grimble

A relation to Ben

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
I believe that the board have at last accepted they cannot raise the necessary cash so have put forward alterations that will be rejected, they can then pass the blame onto the planners.
Nothing over the past ten years has convinced me that the board could afford the original stadium so the chances now seem very small indeed.

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
I believe that the board have at last accepted they cannot raise the necessary cash so have put forward alterations that will be rejected, they can then pass the blame onto the planners.
Nothing over the past ten years has convinced me that the board could afford the original stadium so the chances now seem very small indeed.

what a load of 'ol SHIT :yawn:

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury

You obviously know a lot more than most of us about the financing plans that the club has.

Can you tell us what these are?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I genuinely hope that there are no problems and everything sails through and we get our shiny new stadium.

But in the current climate when it seems impossible for anyone to raise £150,000 on a 1 bedroom flat, with repayments of £1000 a month, do you think the financial houses might be queuing up to lend £30,000,000 or so to a struggling club to finance this latest project.

It seems that no football club seems to make money, so why the instinting optimism ??

Do these institutions really care if we have to wait another few years, I doubt it somehow.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I genuinely hope that there are no problems and everything sails through and we get our shiny new stadium.

But in the current climate when it seems impossible for anyone to raise £150,000 on a 1 bedroom flat, with repayments of £1000 a month, do you think the financial houses might be queuing up to lend £30,000,000 or so to a struggling club to finance this latest project.

It seems that no football club seems to make money, so why the instinting optimism ??

Do these institutions really care if we have to wait another few years, I doubt it somehow.

There is a massive difference between a first-time buyer financing a one bedroom flat, and the bigger part of £60m for a business project with a (supposedly) sound business platform and supporting infrastructure (an FE college) which attracts a fair whack of public money.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
I recall Perry announcing that gaining funds, even in the current economical climate would not be a problem, and that he has various banks "excited" about the project.
Im sure the guys arent completely stupid. I would hazard a guess that they wont be relying on the money from one lender, but maybe two or even three investors.
If Perry has insisted work will still commence in December, then I am sure all is being taken care of. Lets not panic just yet, we've come too far now!!:bounce:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
There is a massive difference between a first-time buyer financing a one bedroom flat, and the bigger part of £60m for a business project with a (supposedly) sound business platform and supporting infrastructure (an FE college) which attracts a fair whack of public money.

Look we are on the same side for this one but ..................

At least a credible first time buyer is likely to have a clean credit record which could be looked at favourably within certain parameters.

If the new buyer pays for a few years on their new mortgage, then at least history suggests that the mortgage company is unlikely to take a massive financial blow and even a good bet redeem all of its money including some profits if they were forced to sell a repossessed residential property.

I am not too sure why many feel that we might be a better bet.

I am not too sure why our stadium project should be seen as anything but a risk, something that banks are not comfortable with at the moment.

Our current and previous accounts look awful and what would the banks do with a repossessed stadium ?

I accept that there must be an extensive business plan, but in todays climate financial institutions might not wish to accept the many assumption held within it, the financial climate at present is woeful and we must all be mindful of this.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Where does the proposed power plant fit into things?

I am not too sure why many feel that we might be a better bet.

I am not too sure why our stadium project should be seen as anything but a risk, something that banks are not comfortable with at the moment.

Our current and previous accounts look awful and what would the banks do with a repossessed stadium ?

I accept that there must be an extensive business plan, but in todays climate financial institutions might not wish to accept the many assumption held within it, the financial climate at present is woeful and we must all be mindful of this.

Have you forgotten but we (BHAFC) will not be the owners of the stadium? The Community Stadium Company Ltd is a separate legal entity with approx 70,000 shares issued currently and the football club (and others) will rent use of the stadium from the CSC. I think it's the CSC that will borrow any money although I wouldn't be surprised to see investors (either private or companies) taking an equity stake in exchange for their cash. BHAFC might even take a stake, in exchange for the Falmer development/planning costs perhaps?

I think it is the Secretary of State who decides to "call in" a planning application, not the local planning authority (ie BHC Council in this case).
If the changes are related to H&S/building regulation developments since the initial applicationwas made and there are only marginal (if any) amendments to the exterior then I can't see HMG being bothered. The chalk has always had to be removed somewhere but it will probably be cheaper to "dump" it locally and provide some landscaped shielding for the local residents. From my recollection of the Falmer meeting at Hove Town Hall, MP indicated that the village (FPC?) are generally in favour of this scenario so I would expect SDS to look fairly isolated if they do object.

The planning application has already been called in TWICE which was why we had to wait for a new public enquiry and a new approval from Hazel Blears

Howver, there are strict conditions relating to the permission most of which MUST be satified BEFORE construction will be allowed to start.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Have you forgotten but we (BHAFC) will not be the owners of the stadium? The Community Stadium Company Ltd is a separate legal entity with approx 70,000 shares issued currently and the football club (and others) will rent use of the stadium from the CSC. I think it's the CSC that will borrow any money although I wouldn't be surprised to see investors (either private or companies) taking an equity stake in exchange for their cash. BHAFC might even take a stake, in exchange for the Falmer development/planning costs perhaps?

No I havent followed the criteria.

Sounds fascinating, however be it BHAFC or CSC the same financial obstacles remain.

Investors and Companies by their very nature demands a return on their investments and in the current climate would still be as wary as banks are at present to either invest or lend.

I have read your post a couple of times and although intriguing, I am still trying to see how this somehow is likely to increase the viability of this project and how this might placate the spooked bankers whom will continue to be drawing in much of their lending.

I presume that no amount of fancy footwork will ease the lenders current fears, I would expect someone or some peoples will have to dig a little deeper into their own personal funds to ease this through.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
as I understand it, it's down to B&H council, they could decide to call it in, in which case we are in deep doo doo - if that happens, we can expect all manner of "interested parties" putting in their views.

The club could really be shooting themselves in the brain on this one.

What a pathetic farce.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here