Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The NEW £60million Falmer Stadium

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
That's like saying "who the f*** are you to say that Tommy Fraser isn't good enough when you're not a footballer". It's a football message board full of opinions/guesses/wild speculation - don't be RIDICULOUS.

:)

just as much as I can say you are wrong, Tommy Fraser is the solution to our midfield creativity problems! ;)

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
All that detailed planning application to try and please all the do-gooders and now we CHANGE IT!!!

Wake me up.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
How come it's the morning shift - like yesterday - who panic and squeal like girlies?

One hint of someone irrelevant objecting and talkinf bollocks, and you turn into cerebral putty. Get a backbone, some of you. Jeez.

Brighton & Hove City Council are minded to approve, and that's the f***ing end of it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
How come it's the morning shift - like yesterday - who panic and squeal like girlies?

One hint of someone irrelevant objecting and talkinf bollocks, and you turn into cerebral putty. Get a backbone, some of you. Jeez.

Brighton & Hove City Council are minded to approve, and that's the f***ing end of it.

You may be right and I hope you are but your last statement is a bit cavalier imo given the history of delays caused by some very determined nimbys coupled with the cock up over the 1st approval. I doubt it will be anywhere near as simple as you suggest.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You may be right and I hope you are but your last statement is a bit cavalier imo given the history of delays caused by some very determined nimbys coupled with the cock up over the 1st approval. I doubt it will be anywhere near as simple as you suggest.

BHCC have always solidly supported the project, and are continuing to do so now.

Seeing as this is not going back to ministerial level, there won't be another governmental cock-up.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
BHCC have always solidly supported the project, and are continuing to do so now.

Seeing as this is not going back to ministerial level, there won't be another governmental cock-up.

Did you see the cock up coming? My point is that every hurdle encountered so far has caused delays, I fully expect this one to follow the same course and history suggests it will.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Is it a 'cock-up'?

Not intending to suggest it is, just using that as an example of how things have caused delays, unexpectedly. To me this was another unexpected development. Any idea how long the club have known about this and kept schtum on it?

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Not intending to suggest it is, just using that as an example of how things have caused delays, unexpectedly. To me this was another unexpected development. Any idea how long the club have known about this and kept schtum on it?

I don't know how much was unexpected. It has always been known that, from the original design which was approved by the enquiries, there would have to be updates based on current regulations and health and safety issues, which are changing all the time.

I know from personal experience that domestic planning permission can be for a fairly basic property design, but building regs permission goes into much more detail. I got planning permission for an extension four years ago but am only now going to building regs. You wouldn't believe how much those regs have changed in that time.

I am assuming that building a stadium is no different in principle.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Not worried about the council at all. Worried about the same old three-ring circus of objectors the club seem to be tweaking the tail of.

But they have no grounds for objection. The ONLY, and I mean the ONLY, way they can prevent the stadium being built is by finding some error in the Governments approval - not with any minor changes based around cost or regulations.

They had the chance of appeal after the last decision but choose not to partly because some could see it as a lost cause and partly because they ran out of money.

If, and it's a very big if, they found some fault with the approval at this late stage then they would have to put forward huge funds to support their case. If they then went and lost they could be made liable for our costs as well as the action could be seen as frivilous ( sp?). They had their chance - objecting this far down the road is nothing but vindictive and a court would see it as this.

The planning permission will go through ( I predict one vote against, one abstention and 10 for ). In the meantime the work will start on the groundworks and the road widening.

It's going to happen despite the doom mongers in Sussex and, annoyingly, on this board.

And as for the finance, as someone that has had to apply to the bank for development funds - they NEVER approve until EVERY detail has been agreed including exact budgets, contractors, timescales etc. So there's no conspiracy, just normal business parctise but I'm guessing the people on here who are claiming there is something going on have never applied for bank funds greater than their piddly mortgage.

Keep the faith :albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2:

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex

Not sure what "backbone" has to do with it.

B and H CC are minded to approve, yes but that certainly isn't the "f***ing end of it". As I'm sure you're aware, a recommendation to approve by council officers is not the same as a vote to approve by elected councillors.

I'm fairly confident this will be approved by them. But I don't take it for granted just yet and it doesn't seem to me to be a good strategy to airily dismiss anyone who doesn't share your supreme confidence (whether it's Cuttress or other people on this board).

I'll try and locate my backbone if you'll try and discover a bit more tolerance for differing views. How about that?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Not sure what "backbone" has to do with it.

B and H CC are minded to approve, yes but that certainly isn't the "f***ing end of it". As I'm sure you're aware, a recommendation to approve by council officers is not the same as a vote to approve by elected councillors.

I'm fairly confident this will be approved by them. But I don't take it for granted just yet and it doesn't seem to me to be a good strategy to airily dismiss anyone who doesn't share your supreme confidence (whether it's Cuttress or other people on this board).

I'll try and locate my backbone if you'll try and discover a bit more tolerance for differing views. How about that?

Jes' beautiful, man. :smokin:

OK, I was a bit OTT, but by the same token, I feel there are an awful lot of people who have hit the panic button way too soon.

A bit of perspective is called for here, I think - including from me.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
More EXCELLENT writing in todays Argus. This is a beaut:

"The Argus revealed yesterday that the soaring price of steel and changes to stadium building regulations during years of delays to the project have made the approved plans unusable. The club could build the stadium to the original design first lodged in 2001 but it would never open because it fails to comply with new legislation."

Genius. Thanks for that.
:rolleyes:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Also this:

"The South Downs Society, dedicated to the protection and conservation of the Sussex Downs, and have vowed to oppose the planning application.

Steve Ankers, planning officer for the society, said: "We are of course very concerned, though not totally surprised, that the club has come back with an even more damaging scheme.

"The grass-topped chalk bunds, designed to help the stadium to blend into the area of outstanding natural beauty, would be scrapped and tons of spoil instead of being removed from the site would be spread on nearby fields within the proposed National Park. We will be looking very closely at the new proposals and indeed any other schemes that might come forward in this area to ensure that damage to the Downs is minimised."

Where have they "vowed to oppose the application" there then ? Or am I missing something ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here