Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The NEW £60million Falmer Stadium

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So because nobody (outside the club) has a clue, you're suspicious?

Has it not occured to you that maybe - just maybe - the club has this stuff in hand? No?

Equally, has it not occured to you that maybe, just maybe, the club is struggling?

I dont really wont to say anymore on this other than I am getting totally fed-up with this city. For a variety of reasons nothing decent gets built. West Pier, Black Rock Arena, Gehry Towers, i360.....nothing. But, when they do decide to tear down some perfectly good buildings in a prime location (the original Concorde) we get a shoddy complex which is half full. And the half that is full is crap chain businesses.

I really hope I am wrong with what I have said. Let's revisit in February. If I'm wrong I'll buy you a couple of pints. If I am right I'll buy myself a lot more and drown my sorrows.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Given the club are on the verge of announcing a construction partner I would imagine they have an idea about how much stadium scenarios will cost for a while now. In fact they have made statements today about possible costs. Given this info I would expect an agreement in principle to have been reached and announced by now.

Very possibly. But until such time as the parties sign on the dotted line, confidentiality must remain intact.

This coupled with virtually every major new-build project in the country being put on hold I am worried...and I have reason to be worried I think.
The main difference with ours is that the supporting infrastructure is through education facilities, not housing, hotels or any sector of the leisure industry, and there is a reasonable pot of public money still out there for education.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Moron yourself.

Are you part of the stadium team? No. So who are the f*** are you to say that we can't afford Falmer?

Would you have found this stuff out but for the Argus? Yes, we have already been told his stuff. You and me and everyone else. This is not news.

Bollocks to you if you all you can do is spout abuse purely because you can't be bothered to keep up to speed.

That's like saying "who the f*** are you to say that Tommy Fraser isn't good enough when you're not a footballer". It's a football message board full of opinions/guesses/wild speculation - don't be RIDICULOUS.

Have we been told about the extra £10 million? No.
Have we been told about the changes to the design (roof/grass etc)? No.

And just another OBSERVATION - Has it been said that we can afford Falmer? Or has Perry muttered off some stuff about Price Waterhouse Coopers every time?

:)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Very possibly. But until such time as the parties sign on the dotted line, confidentiality must remain intact.

The main difference with ours is that the supporting infrastructure is through education facilities, not housing, hotels or any sector of the leisure industry, and there is a reasonable pot of public money still out there for education.

Far enough. Please see above.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
That's like saying "who the f*** are you to say that Tommy Fraser isn't good enough when you're not a footballer". It's a football message board full of opinions/guesses/wild speculation - don't be RIDICULOUS.

Have we been told about the extra £10 million? No.
Have we been told about the changes to the design (roof/grass etc)? No.

And just another OBSERVATION - Has it been said that we can afford Falmer? Or has Perry muttered off some stuff about Price Waterhouse Coopers every time?

:)

So, it comes back to - because YOU don't know, you're suspicious?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
On a slightly different aspect of people's concerns, I lived in Southampton at the time St Mary's was built and couldn't believe the speed at which the place was built. From that point of view, we should be fine starting in Dec..

And, even if gets close to the wire for finishing offices etc in time for kick-off 2010, presumably that work can continue without affecting the football anyway?

buller89

Aug 9, 2007
Horsham
I dont know about the rest of you but im not too disheartened by the new design. :falmer:

Attachments

• 0,,10433~3819605,00.jpg
    0,,10433~3819605,00.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 284

buller89

Aug 9, 2007
Horsham
To quote Perry "Secondly, because the changes do not affect the overall size of the site, the location, the principle or the capacity, there is no chance this application will be called in by the government"

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
To quote Perry "Secondly, because the changes do not affect the overall size of the site, the location, the principle or the capacity, there is no chance this application will be called in by the government"

Why give LDC and the rest of the grockles even a chance at debating the thing? :shrug:

Bloody stupid gamble to take by the club IMHO. Unless they actually WANT the building project delayed on the quiet? ???

This SUCKS.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
The report does correctly state the costs have risen by £10 million to £60 million, a direct legacy of the ten-year battle for planning permission. Costs having risen sharply, particularly in the past eighteen months.

I've been at a major league boredom presentation this evening about the regeneration of Coventry. In it one of the construction guys revealed that China have bought all Iron Ore (i.e Steel) coming out of Australia at record prices for the next 2 years.

No wonder prices are going up.

1067Seagull

Banned
Jun 27, 2008
My mate Adiran told me taht one of the North Stand Pado website people write the artical in your paper. I thoughtt that people on that sight didn"t like football?

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Room for a POWER PLANT?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sussex/7617902.stm

The new design allows more room for seating, and a landscaped area at one end of the planned stadium had been altered to accommodate shops, offices and a power plant.

Melanie Cutress, from Falmer Parish Council, said: "Block work walls and metal roofs - well, that's not acceptable.

"The design of the stadium was sold to the community, to the council, to the public on the fact it would blend in with the area of outstanding natural beauty. But this won't blend in."

The South Downs Society has also objected to the new plans.

The club, which has already invested £6m on the stadium, said it is determined to start work on the building in December.

Martin Perry, chief executive of the club, said said they were confident the would get planning permission. He said: "All we're doing is making minor changes to it. The principle has not changed, the overall concept has not changed."

http://www.southdownssociety.org.uk/do/ecco.py/view_item?listid=35&listcatid=147&listitemid=541

SOUTH DOWNS SOCIETY RENEWS ITS OBJECTION TO THE STADIUM IN THE SUSSEX DOWNS

The South Downs Society has today (15 September 2008) vowed to oppose plans to change the huge new Brighton & Hove Albion Football Stadium.

The original plans are said by Brighton & Hove Football Club now to be inadequate. The new plans allow for an increase in the internal area of the stadium to 27,796sq metres. The grass topped chalk bunds, designed to help the stadium to blend into the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, would be scrapped; and tonnes of spoil, instead of being removed from the site, would be spread on nearby fields within the proposed National Park.

Steve Ankers, Planning Officer for the South Downs Society, said: “We are of course very concerned, though not totally surprised, that the Club has come back with an even more damaging scheme. We will be looking very closely at the new proposals – and indeed any other schemes that might come forward in this area – to ensure that damage to the Downs is minimized.”

Approval was eventually given in July 2007 by the government for the stadium to be built following a six-year campaign against it led by conservationists and local people. The government’s decision was criticized for flying in the face of its own policies on protecting beautiful landscapes.

The government’s decision followed two public inquiries, both of which found against the proposal for the stadium on the Falmer site, and a successful challenge in the High Court brought by South Downs Society, Lewes District Council and Falmer Parish Council.

The site has been part of the Sussex Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty since the 1960s and more recently, part of it was designated as a National Park.

Work is scheduled to begin on the Stadium in December.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here