Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The NEW £60million Falmer Stadium

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
The Cuntress has just been on BBC1 along with some cackbagder moaning that the stadium doesn't look so good now. Well, if they hadn't delayed it....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
0,,10433~3818486,00.jpg

Planning Application Put into Perspective
Posted on: Mon 15 Sep 2008 (seagulls.co.uk)

Albion bosses, chairman Dick Knight and chief-executive Martin Perry, have moved quickly to put the report in today's Argus (Shock Revamp for Falmer) into proper perspective.

The club issued the following statement at lunchtime today:

The newspaper reports the stadium will be 50 per cent bigger. This is a misleading statement, considering the site's footprint remains the same, the height of the stadium is unaltered, and the capacity - 22,500 - is unchanged.

Changes in legislation have resulted in a huge increase in the space needed for visitor circulation - including the concourse areas - and this has forced a complete redesign of the stadium interior, but does not affect the overall footprint.

The report does correctly state the costs have risen by £10 million to £60 million, a direct legacy of the ten-year battle for planning permission. Costs having risen sharply, particularly in the past eighteen months.

Since the original application was lodged in 2001 there have been other changes in legislation, including disability access and safety regulations. When the original plans were given the green light by the government, the club announced then that the plans would be adjusted in the light of these changes.

Two key factors for fans are that this application does not have to be approved for us to begin work on site. The first activity on site will be to widen Village Way and permission for this has already been given.

Secondly, because the changes do not affect the overall size of the site, the location, the usage nor the capacity, there is no chance this application will be called in by the Government.

The club expects the new application to be heard by the council in December/January and is confident it will be approved. It would be totally perverse for the hopes and expectations for the stadium of many thousands in this community were to be put in jeopardy yet again.

In the meantime, the last fortnight has seen significant progress with both the council and the University of Brighton on the legal agreements and in negotiations with the building contractors, and the club expects to announce the preferred choice soon.

I've just seen and heard Mr Perry on the news. I'm glad he is confident of this getting through planning. The stadium was partially sold on the fact it would blend it into the downs with grass covered slopes as each end. It is now a stand alone stadium. The grassy slopes each end of the ground have now been removed and replaced with extra office space. I'm not quite sure how UEFA legislation specifies the need for this.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
if they cant have a grass 'roof' as such anymore...why not just paint the Roof green?!

Common Sense Perry :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Given the club seem to be struggling to come up with the funds for the stadium it would be convenient for this planning app to drag on a bit. It would save a bit of Perry's face.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
if the club are expecting the council to hear our application in December/January, are we allowed to start building in December like Perry has stated in the past, or arer we to expect another delay??

probably depends what exactly is starting in December...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I've just seen and heard Mr Perry on the news. I'm glad he is confident of this getting through planning. The stadium was partially sold on the fact it would blend it into the downs with grass covered slopes as each end. It is now a stand alone stadium. The grassy slopes each end of the ground have now been removed and replaced with extra office space. I'm not quite sure how UEFA legislation specifies the need for this.

Did he specifically mention UEFA specifying the need for this?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
if the club are expecting the council to hear our application in December/January, are we allowed to start building in December like Perry has stated in the past, or arer we to expect another delay??
I think we can start excuvating the land in december whatever happens, I would imagine with all the mud and chalk they have to remove that will take months. The detailed application will have to be approved before they actually start building anything. That is of course based on no knowledge at all, just what I've read on here.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why am I being stupid?

1. Who's said we are struggling to get the funding ?
2. How would even more delays be "saving face" for anyone ?
3. How on earth can any further delay in Falmer be construed as "convenient" for the club ?

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I think we can start excuvating the land in december whatever happens, I would imagine with all the mud and chalk they have to remove that will take months. The detailed application will have to be approved before they actually start building anything. That is of course based on no knowledge at all, just what I've read on here.

that is what I am thinking too, but god forbid this should get rejected, there will just be a big muddy hole left, if we did start in december before knowing the result of the hearing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here