Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The NEW £60million Falmer Stadium

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Here you go guys - the roof has been altered slightly - barely noticeable changes though...

expensive-nfl-football-stadium-cowboys.jpg

How is the new Dallas Stadium coming along anyway? Will have to get over there sometime

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I don't know why LDC were worried about supporting developments...

PH2006031400628.jpg

All those extra seats and parking but we STILL get wet when it rains. That will never do Paul, never

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
stadium1.jpg

Not even the bloody North stand has a roof now. MARTIN PERRY OUT :censored:

HG201

Proud Ruffian
Jul 16, 2008
Birmingham
i know it is all to do with positve thinking for the future, but are we really going to be getting anywhere near 23,000 every week when we only get 6,000 now? i think it should be closer about 17,000

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
i know it is all to do with positve thinking for the future, but are we really going to be getting anywhere near 23,000 every week when we only get 6,000 now? i think it should be closer about 17,000

No we aren't going to get anywhere near 23,000 in League 1 or the Championship, but what's the point in building a tiny stadium (say 15,000) which will have a lifespan of 75+ years, only then to get in to the Premiership and having 25,000 people wanting tickets for 15,000 seats?
I'm sure the team behind the stadium decided on a capacity which wouldn't be TOO big for League 1 but wouldn't be too small for the Premiership. For me, 17,000 wouldn't be anywhere near enough if we are consistently a top Championship club/rubbish prem club.

Look at the Madjeski stadium. Would there have been any point in them making it a 7,000 seater stadium when they first started building it, just because the attendances were under 6,000 at the time? Look at them now, and their average gate.

Falmer is all about the future, it's not about current attendances.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Quite. You do not build a hotel to cater for the quiet season. You build it with enough rooms to cater for the peak season.

Ooops. Did I say hotel?

All those extra seats and parking but we STILL get wet when it rains. That will never do Paul, never

Quite right. I shall boycott. :angry:

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
I'm rather late on this thread and the news - which is now not news? Should I still panic and then calm down, or can I bypass the panic thing now?

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
0,,10433~3818486,00.jpg

Planning Application Put into Perspective
Posted on: Mon 15 Sep 2008 (seagulls.co.uk)

Albion bosses, chairman Dick Knight and chief-executive Martin Perry, have moved quickly to put the report in today's Argus (Shock Revamp for Falmer) into proper perspective.

The club issued the following statement at lunchtime today:

The newspaper reports the stadium will be 50 per cent bigger. This is a misleading statement, considering the site's footprint remains the same, the height of the stadium is unaltered, and the capacity - 22,500 - is unchanged.

Changes in legislation have resulted in a huge increase in the space needed for visitor circulation - including the concourse areas - and this has forced a complete redesign of the stadium interior, but does not affect the overall footprint.

The report does correctly state the costs have risen by £10 million to £60 million, a direct legacy of the ten-year battle for planning permission. Costs having risen sharply, particularly in the past eighteen months.

Since the original application was lodged in 2001 there have been other changes in legislation, including disability access and safety regulations. When the original plans were given the green light by the government, the club announced then that the plans would be adjusted in the light of these changes.

Two key factors for fans are that this application does not have to be approved for us to begin work on site. The first activity on site will be to widen Village Way and permission for this has already been given.

Secondly, because the changes do not affect the overall size of the site, the location, the usage nor the capacity, there is no chance this application will be called in by the Government.

The club expects the new application to be heard by the council in December/January and is confident it will be approved. It would be totally perverse for the hopes and expectations for the stadium of many thousands in this community were to be put in jeopardy yet again.

In the meantime, the last fortnight has seen significant progress with both the council and the University of Brighton on the legal agreements and in negotiations with the building contractors, and the club expects to announce the preferred choice soon.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
them seats behind the goal look shite,i presume its the awayend but surely we could get more seats in that end regardless of segregation:annoyed:

I believe that it is features such as this that will make it easy to expand the capacity should the need arise. If we find ourselves doing well in a few years, it would probably change.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I believe that it is features such as this that will make it easy to expand the capacity should the need arise. If we find ourselves doing well in a few years, it would probably change.

Exactly,it is like White Hart Lane was for a while,let the dust settle then make it bigger!.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here