The NEW £60million Falmer Stadium

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
That's a bit harsh, granted it's not the Ali Sami Yen, but Fulham are as capable of creating an atmosphere as anybody else, and I'd rather watch a game there than at any of the flat-pack U-Build Riverside models.

And as for the Dell, ask any 80s footballer, and they all used to say the Dell created a decent atmosphere, because the crowd were so close to the pitch.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
That's all I need to hear. Can we just delete the first 7 pages of this thread to prevent further panic?

It may be a good idea:lol:

I caught this guy in his coffee break (council for you!) and he hadn't seen the Argus. When I showed it to him he was gobsmacked. Everything in the report has been known about since the the Hove Town Hall presentation its just that only now have they put it together to make a story, and in fairness its only now that the cost has publicly been acknowledged to rise to £60million. That's the only new bit of info.

However the headline grabber of 50% increase is completely misleading.

As he put it nothing in terms of the build, orientation, size of the stadium is changing its purely adjusting to the latest legislation and the fact that steel is more expensive than it was meaning a redesign to the arch.

He is very confident that this does not represent a delay of any sort.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
According to the insider there will be an update to the stadium diary published on the club's website today (see ask the club). I'm sure all will be explained.

If this doesn't turn out to be the Argus sensationalism I'd be surprised. I doubt Martin Perry used the adjective "ballooned" to describe the increase in the cost. Wasn't the original cost the stadium approx £45M? That was 6 or 7 years ago. So that's a rise of about 5% per annum. Big deal.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Suggest we read the actual planning application being considered tomorrow. Here it is:
http://peace.brighton-hove.gov.uk/Intranet/CommitteeMgt.nsf/0/06FB2244EA532D80802574BB0054FB0F/$File/Item+29+-+Community+stadium+-+CMM+16Sept08.doc

[
In essence the changes are being recommended for acceptance. Thought I would quote one part which relates to the stadium design and the views of the council's planner:

• “the change in the arch design from a tubular arch to a trussed arch has been made for understandable cost reasons. While the design change gives greater prominence to the arch, there is no increase in height and the fact that the new trusses are set further back should offset some of the visual impact. It is very subjective as to whether the changes would actually detract from the overall appearance of the stadium, especially as each truss curves with the stadium walls.
• the change from modular alumunium cladding to standard colour coated aluminium curtain walling on the east and west elevations together with the reduction in area of glazing on the west elevation is also primarily cost-driven. While the elevation in the original, consented scheme is more elegant, the reduction in glazing in the proposed scheme will serve to reduce solar gain. The choice of glazing and colour and finish to the curtain walling will be critical and will be subject to the council’s approval at a later stage.
• the replacement of grass covered bunds behind the east and west stands with accommodation is a significant change which will make the building more visible. Changes to landscaping along Village Way are proposed to ameliorate this to some extent. The rustic blockwork proposed for these elevations is appropriate although the choice of colour will be important. The grass covering has been replaced with a metal roof which should be of the standing seam type to be acceptable.
• Overall, and subject to later approval of materials and colours, I have no objections to the revisions to the Club’s design.”

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
According to the insider there will be an update to the stadium diary published on the club's website today (see ask the club). I'm sure all will be explained.

If this doesn't turn out to be the Argus sensationalism I'd be surprised. I doubt Martin Perry used the adjective "ballooned" to describe the increase in the cost. Wasn't the original cost the stadium approx £45M? That was 6 or 7 years ago. So that's a rise of about 5% per annum. Big deal.

I think the marker was Dick Knight saying at Hove Town Hall that it would be about £50m.

What we don't know is what each aspect of the project will cost. Is it, for example, £50m for the stadium alone, for the entire project (including roadworks, etc), or the cost to the club?

I think we're due to find out in the next few weeks or so.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
That's a bit harsh, granted it's not the Ali Sami Yen, but Fulham are as capable of creating an atmosphere as anybody else, and I'd rather watch a game there than at any of the flat-pack U-Build Riverside models.

And as for the Dell, ask any 80s footballer, and they all used to say the Dell created a decent atmosphere, because the crowd were so close to the pitch.
I go to Fulham from time to time if they're at home and the Albion are away and I can't/can't be arsed to go, and the atmosphere has always been crap when I've been there.

I think it's not necessarily the stadiums themselves anyway, though it can help with different acoustics, and places like the Dell and Baseball Park where the crowd were on top of the players, but more to do with the changing nature of the game and the profile of the typical football fan that means atmospheres are not as good, which I think they're not in 99% of grounds.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Am I correct in saying that the bloke who wrote the story posts a lot on here, and one of NSP's finest :eek: :thumbsup:

Colbourne Kid

Sep 19, 2003
Stop panicking.

The applciation deals with those issues that were presented at the Hove Town Hall presentation, have been presented to Falmer Parish Council and to all the local groups who have an interest and to the Councillors and officers of BHCC.

The increase in space is to internal floor areas not the size of the stadium. It is the same height as before, still sunk into the ground, covers the same area as before and basically is the same design. It has the same capacity. The roof arch has been brought forward to save steel but basically looks the same.

Most people who take an interest in the stadium will have been told about these changes over the last year. This is the planning application to sweep up the changes. Don't foget the plans that went through all the public inquiries were drawn up in 1999. There have been a few changes in the world since then.

In that time inflation has also been happening so tyhe cost has gone up. The Club are not being funded by Lehman Bros or AIG.

Contractors will be announced within the next couple of weeks. Work will start in December.

The Argus story is a sensationalised version of facts that have been known for a long time.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Stop panicking.

The applciation deals with those issues that were presented at the Hove Town Hall presentation, have been presented to Falmer Parish Council and to all the local groups who have an interest and to the Councillors and officers of BHCC.

The increase in space is to internal floor areas not the size of the stadium. It is the same height as before, still sunk into the ground, covers the same area as before and basically is the same design. It has the same capacity. The roof arch has been brought forward to save steel but basically looks the same.

Most people who take an interest in the stadium will have been told about these changes over the last year. This is the planning application to sweep up the changes. Don't foget the plans that went through all the public inquiries were drawn up in 1999. There have been a few changes in the world since then.

In that time inflation has also been happening so tyhe cost has gone up. The Club are being funded by Lehman Bros or AIG.

Contractors will be announced within the next couple of weeks. Work will start in December.

The Argus story is a sensationalised version of facts that have been known for a long time.

I think you missed out a 'not' in there, Mr H. :lolol:

Jimmy Grimble

Are you related to Ben?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Just had some pictures on South Today news and the stadium design does not look much different at all.

As for the costs surely this is not a suprise to anyone given the current global climate.

As for the application becoming invalid the battle was to get permission to build the thing there and that is the premise permission was granted. Minor design changes are not going to be enough for this to be called back in as it does not change the volume of people travelling there or the environmental impact.

Bit early for mass panic I think

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports