Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The NEW £60million Falmer Stadium

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
reading this thread since I've finished mowing for abit, seems to me like its a storm in a tea cup. Surely the designs that have been tendered wouild've had these changes in mind and its only now the club/argus have released this information.
The changes, although they look big on paper (or print here!) are probably not that massive to the trained eye...unlike many of us!

I'll await more details from Lord B or the club before worrying too much more on this.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Surely the 'advertised' design for Falmer is one of the reasons we've stuck with the Albion for so long, and one of the reasons we've stayed optimistic.

For example, my son is a Gooner (we live in London) but is genuinely excited about visiting Falmer when it's built.

So I really, really want to know if this story is basically a collection of facts already in the public domain, largely referring to the plans for which we've seen those computer-generated images (as TLO suggests), or if it's about changing those plans.

I would like time to stand still until Lord B returns and sums things up - can anyone fix this?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I've not read the article, looked at the Argus or contacted anyone, but is this the end of the world as we know it?

Surely this must mean Adams out

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I've not read the article, looked at the Argus or contacted anyone, but is this the end of the world as we know it?

Surely this must mean Adams out

He is leaving after the Yorkshire game.

The Perry Diary was painting a happy picture :shootself: A shame that the design is set to change, I had become quite attached to it, but I don't think it is worth spending an extra £10m if it puts us in severe danger of non-completion or the stadium company filing for bankruptcy.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Uneasy reading no doubt.

But I hope that any decisions might be made in the longer term imagination of club and their supporters.

If an uglier stadium has to be in place at any cost for the club to survive then we have no choice, but if it is just a set back ( a major one accepted ), would you wait maybe another couple of years for the original fantastic stadium design to be fulfilled ??

Any Stadium is likely to be with us for 60-100 years and impact on future generations, our own current frustration today mustn't effect negatively in 20 years time say when us all, our children and grandchildren will experience as a BHA supporter.

In many ways we have all been part of a dark era within the club's history, but I would not wish to carry parts of this era with us in say 20, 30 or 40 years time, in a second class stadium.

My fear is that the current board may feel under intense pressure to accept any re-designed stadium, as without this they themselves may not feel they have fulfilled their own promises to us the fans. Some might feel that their own standing within the clubs history might be tarnished if the diggers do not move in by the end of this year.

Even resignation’s might be demanded by some and their own positions may become quite uncomfortable if they were to wait and look for a way to ensure that we still get a world class stadium.

I sincerely hope that they stay strong and deliver a stadium that the club deserve, not just this decade but for generations to come.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
It looks like its just going to be a bigger version of the same stadium, but not sunk into the hill, so all it will be doing is standing out more loud and proud

I doubt that, the hill has quite a slope on it so the stadium will have to be sunk into it, otherwise there will be a considerably less flat pitch than the Goldstone had! The grass bunds disappearing from the design might appear to make it stand out more though.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
He is leaving after the Yorkshire game.

The Perry Diary was painting a happy picture :shootself: A shame that the design is set to change, I had become quite attached to it, but I don't think it is worth spending an extra £10m if it puts us in severe danger of non-completion or the stadium company filing for bankruptcy.

Hardly. It looks like we have much more scope for increased income from extra office/education space.

I always felt those grass bunds were a waste of space, anyway.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Here's a stadium with a trussed roof... who says it has to look like Colchester?

Attachments

• Texas Stadium.jpg
    Texas Stadium.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 371

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Hardly. It looks like we have much more scope for increased income from extra office/education space.

Eh? What I meant was that there is no point spending stupid amounts of money on the original design (aesthetics), if we can alter it and increase the 'shopfloor space'.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
So where does the 22,000 tons of chalk come from?

It needs to b sunk into the hill a bit because it's, er, on the side of a hill, and we need it flat. :)

i meant that the hill will be removed and spread across the neighbouring field. It doesnt matter of the pitch is flat anyway, the ball only touches the pitch about once every 3 minutes they way we play

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
£10m now for a yield of, say, an extra million a year in increased rent income ? ???

I agree! The original quoted cost of the stadium was £50m or so. The costs have risen dramatically, for the original design. I was saying that there is no point spending an extra £10m or so to complete using the original design, when changes can be made to generate extra income and meet the same sort of price.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
i meant that the hill will be removed and spread across the neighbouring field. It doesnt matter of the pitch is flat anyway, the ball only touches the pitch about once every 3 minutes they way we play

I think that the planning application is to store the chalk while the stadium is built, and then use that chalk afterwards in the construction of the Teletubbies Stand, rather than cart it to Newhaven to - I don't know - draw out some hopscotch patterns.

Yoda

English & European
Of course it's the clubs choice, cos they can't afford to do it how they said they would. How you can sit here and say you don't think this will be a problem is beyond me, you must be the most trusting, optimistic fucker on this site (at least since Yorkie left anyway)

How can it be cheaper to BUILD this extra spacing at the ends of the stadium compared to just moving some of the earth dug up from sinking the stadium into the ground? ???

I'm with TLO on this, in thinking this is where a lot of the 9000sq m extra space is going to be coming from.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Read the whole thing and now wish I hadn't. It2s a storm in teacup.... no point worrying.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here