Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The NEW £60million Falmer Stadium

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Can't agree with you there.

Like it or not, thousands of people objected to the stadium. Especially because it fringes the downs. Part of overcoming that objection was a design which makes it as unobtrusive as possible.

Now that we need a cheaper and more intrusive option, objectors will see another chance to try and torpedo the project. And they will claim that is is much more of a blight than the original plan.

I hope they fail of course but I don't think we can just shrug this off.

Sorry, where does it say that?

The stadium, as far as I can see, is not undergoing a fundamental re-design.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Curved stadium made of steel and glass

Brick and block stadium with a shed roof

What is it you cannot see?

Read the report again.

It says the grass bunds at the end will be replaced by brickwork and a metal roof, not the entire stadium. The rest of the stadium isn't mentioned in that context.

It might be that this is to allow further space for office/education facilities. But I'm guessing there.

A simple statement from the club-regardless of 'quotes' in the Arsegas would calm everybody down.

All we have is a story that will give DeVagi, Cuntrest and Marina wide-ons because they will see it as an opportunity to seek further delays.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
It says the grass bunds at the end will be replaced by brickwork and a metal roof, not the entire stadium.

Then the design has fundementally changed hasn't it!

We all know the detail the club had to go to to make this stadium blend into it's surroundings.

We all know they didn't put those grass bunds in for the fun of it.

We all know that the stadium is being sunk into the ground to make it more discreet.

Therefore we all know that the club is going to have to be concerned at making such a change.

Anyone who has even watched programs such as Grand Designs will tell you the planners can tell you exactly what tiles you can have on your roof and what colour your driveway must be if they want to!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Not read whole thread yet, but could this lead to another public inquiry?!

Did you read the entire STORY?

Paul Samrah, chairman of the Falmer For All campaign, said: “The club has been working alongside LDC and the chances of this being called in by the Government are nil.

“The only way an opponent could seek a judicial review is if there is an error in the way planning consent was granted.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Then the design has fundementally changed hasn't it!

We all know the detail the club had to go to to make this stadium blend into it's surroundings.

We all know they didn't put those grass bunds in for the fun of it.

We all know that the stadium is being sunk into the ground to make it more discreet.

Therefore we all know that the club is going to have to be concerned at making such a change.

Where in the planning application does it say that the stadium design has fundamentally changed regarding the grass bunds? It was the SHAPE of the stadium that made it blend into its surroundings, not the material. The grass was mainly for aesthetic purposes.

Reading that report, it also sounds like it's the club's choice to change the material at the ends of the stadium. I can't see anywhere where it says it's been imposed on them.

Anyone who has even watched programs such as Grand Designs will tell you the planners can tell you exactly what tiles you can have on your roof and what colour your driveway must be if they want to!

Yep, and?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I'm not saying there won't be further problems or delays - there invariably are. What I am saying is that I can't see a major problem purely on the back of that Argus story.

The worst case scenario is that the City Council - very much a supporter of the project - turns down any aspects of the planning applications to be discussed. And even then, they have to say why, and for the Albion to work on it to rectify it.

Delays, maybe. Stadium re-design, no.

Public Inquiry, no.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
CALM DOWN, DEARS
220px-Michael_Winner_cropped.jpg

The ideal scenario here is
(1) it's a slow news day at the Argus, that they've been saving this story up for (ie it's neither unexpected nor significant)
(2) this outcome has little fundamental impact on the eventual design
(3) it's enough to severely piss off all the objectors in the meantime

Fingers crossed, eh?

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Reading that report, it also sounds like it's the club's choice to change the material at the ends of the stadium. I can't see anywhere where it says it's been imposed on them.

Of course it's the clubs choice, cos they can't afford to do it how they said they would. How you can sit here and say you don't think this will be a problem is beyond me, you must be the most trusting, optimistic fucker on this site (at least since Yorkie left anyway)

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
It's imperitive that we don't rush into building something that won't fulfill our needs and ambitions for the next 100 years.

If we can't build what we want, delay it until we can. ie when the economic crisis sorts itself out.
The problem with that is that we are struggling to get fans in as it is, also we have a limited time to build the stadium before we lose planning permission. More court battles and another 10 years at Withdean? I doubt there'd be a club left to need a stadium.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Wonder if this is connected to Martin Perry resigning from his City College post this week "to concentrate on Falmer".

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
i cant believe some people are saying they'd be "happy" with a stadium like Colchester.. what the f***?

so we've waited 10-12 yrears and we end up with something like that... have a bit of pride in your team... :)

Yes, I have pride in my team and I would be happy with a stadium that is ours and not shit.

Put things into perspective.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here