The NEW £60million Falmer Stadium

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Who gives a flying f*** what those bastards think? It's because of their actions that delayed everything for years that a re-design is now necessary. If they get some ugly box stadium much bigger than the original then they've got exactly what they deserve. I hope!

One thing's for sure-whenever there is an election the Lib Dems must be campaigned against by Albion fans-especially that bald wanker Baker. He should f*** off back to Scotland and poke his beak into Scottish affairs.

I think the worry is more that they now have some ammunition to slow the whole process down again. And - solely over the issue of this redesign and the fact permission was granted for something completely different - I have to say I can see their point if they do decide to kick up a fuss about it.

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
Reading between the lines, the cost for this was £40 million when the application first went in. Now it is £60 million, is it fair to speculate that the club has been trying to get the extra funding but failed to do so and have now realised that the numbers don't add up.
It's very worrying indeed, if they can't afford it why don't they build a SMALLER stadium now, with the option to expand if we do well in the future.

I think you have a good point here?

What seriously would be our average attendance at Falmer, after all the initial excitement of a new ground has died down? 12,000 maybe? Would we really get 20,000 for most home games playing in League 1, or even the Championship?

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Calm down folks. There is a difference between outline planning permission and detailed planning permission, and currently all we have is outline planning permission. I'm sure Lord B will correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly certain that as long as the "redesigned" stadium fits within the outline plan and meets all the relevant planning requirements and restraints then there shouldn't be a problem.

Hmmm, we only have outline permission when building's supposed to start in three months and according to the original timescale was to start imminently?

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I think you have a good point here?

What seriously would be our average attendance at Falmer, after all the initial excitement of a new ground has died down? 12,000 maybe? Would we really get 20,000 for most home games playing in League 1, or even the Championship?

One also assumes that if the costs are rising, the number of people in the ground every week has to increase for the club to break even on the debt. If I remember rightly the original figure was 12,000, so what might it be now? Working on the basis that £40million's become £60m, it would mean 18,000 which I REALLY hope is not the case.

The problem is, so will we. Have you seen Colchester's new stadium? So rubbish.

Right now any stadium would be ok though. :(

Absolutely right. If it's a bigger version of Colchester's stadium or Withdean it's a no-brainer. Bring on the boxy thing asap.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The situation appears to be, the state of the art stadium trumpetted for 10 years has been brushed aside as its too expensive to build and fund in this ecomomic climate. In order to have any chance of funding and building it they need to build a carbunkle instead. Well fine I don't really care, its a shame but fully understandable. However this is something that will undoubtedly put bullets in LDC's guns. I expect an all out war again for the next 3 months between Martin Gunslinger Perry and Norman Billy the Kid Baker.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Calm down folks. There is a difference between outline planning permission and detailed planning permission, and currently all we have is outline planning permission. I'm sure Lord B will correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly certain that as long as the "redesigned" stadium fits within the outline plan and meets all the relevant planning requirements and restraints then there shouldn't be a problem.

It has changed the capacity of the stadium has gone up from 19000 to 27000 square maetres.

Something positive-thanks C O. Let's hope you're right.

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
For those that haven't seen it. I believe this is Colchester's new ground

latestcu.jpg

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Worse still, I can feel a Dick Knight centre-circle MC moment coming on this Saturday! Pre-match whip-round anybody? :down:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Whatever is going on we need to rally around Knight, Perry, Samrah and the FFA team. The fact the World economy is verging on filing for bankruptcy is something none of them could have helped and if they can deliver this stadium it will be the greatest achievement since Moses parted the Red Sea so can we not have any slagging off of our stadium team.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Whatever is going on we need to rally around Knight, Perry, Samrah and the FFA team. The fact the World economy is verging on filing for bankruptcy is something none of them could have helped and if they can deliver this stadium it will be the greatest achievement since Moses parted the Red Sea so can we not have any slagging off of our stadium team.

I couldn't agree more.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country

I am not sure about this. If I got planning permission to build a house in a Cotswold Village in that nice orangey-stone and thatch much used in the area, and then tried to slap something up with the same dimensions but in red brick and with loads of white UPVC because I couldn't afford nice wooden sash windows any more I think I might run into problems!!

Isn't it the same principle here?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Apparently never ending row of hurdles...I will be absolutely staggered if this doesn't cause further delays in commencing the start of building.

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
f*** a duck - i REALLY hope we dont end up with a f***ing shit hole design stadium like colchester - that would be the biggest anti-climax EVER!

was a bit excited when i read it was gonna be 30,000 but that appears to be incorrect now......

here we go again...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Changes to the scheme include:

* An internal area increase from 18,189sq m to 27,796sq m.

Don't know about this exactly, but there is an extra building outside the stadium 'the Teletubbies Stand', which was not part of the original plans. That will account for a fair whack of the extra land. Don't know if it accounts for an extra 9,000 sq.m. though.

* Grass topped chalk bunds, designed to allow the stadium to blend in with the surrounding environment, scrapped in favour of blockwork walls and a metal roof.

I assume a cost-cutting measure, but it's not integral to the stadium design - more an aesthetic thing. Could be made of wool for all I care.

* Tubular steel arch replaced with a trussed design to cut costs.

This was mentioned at Hove Town Hall months ago.

* Plans for offices under the East Stand to be let to businesses replaced with more teaching space for City College.

This was also mentioned at Hove Town Hall months ago. LDC don't actually have any objections over this.

* Chalk excavated from the Village Way site to be spread on a nearby field to save 22,000 lorry trips over four months.

This is tied in with the Teletubbies Stand development.

A tad concerned with one or two aspects of it, but most of this is in the public domain already. Concerned, but not too much, unless there is something not being said as a result of all this.

Oh, and Baker - belt the f*** up, you shit-stirring cretin.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London

Well it would be nice if they would tell us what's going on then, rather than us have to hear through the local press!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

I can see where your coming from US but at the moment I'd be more optomistic of our chances of parting the Red Sea than getting a stadium built at Falmer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports