Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The NEW £60million Falmer Stadium

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
The club must have known about this before now.

Hardly the small house keeping application we were being told about is it!

Very worried about this news.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Where the Farm Shop is.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Exactly. We've been given permission for the stadium in its original form. Surely this new, huge design requires new permission, and allows all the old objectors to come out of the woodwork again?

why would they come out of the woodword, when a small 22,000 seater stadium, designed to blend in with the surroundings is replaced by a 30,000 seater stadium made of 4 blocks and huge metal roofs that stand out of the land like fat bird in disco??

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
I echo a lot of sentiments on this thread.

How on earth can work start in December, 3 months away, if the stadium has to have what seems to be a massive redesign?

mongoose

Jul 24, 2007
Also surely the companies who've tendered for the building contract have done so based on the old design. Will this not take us back to square one in that process?

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
why would they come out of the woodword, when a small 22,000 seater stadium, designed to blend in with the surroundings is replaced by a 30,000 seater stadium made of 4 blocks and huge metal roofs that stand out of the land like fat bird in disco??

Well quite, but you know what these people are like. After all it's not like the plans for what they've been told will be built have just been completely changed overnight.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
The silence from the club is a bit deafening here. Shit like this should come from them first, not the Argus. I fail to see ANY WAY that this can be spun as good or even 'not serious' news.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Also surely the companies who've tendered for the building contract have done so based on the old design. Will this not take us back to square one in that process?

Good point. I think someone at the club needs to respond to this pretty quick; if only to try and counter what looks like pretty bad news.

If they have been going out to tender based on old designs and haven't kept a weather eye on changes to building regs and FIFA rules that does - on the face of it - not look like good project management. However I've always thought the plannign for Falmer on this type of aspect has been pretty competent though; so I am keeping my fingers crossed on this apect. Its the new planning application that I think may kill this though.

The LDC were against a small stadium that BLENDED into its surrounding environment,

What the f*** are they going to think about a BIGGER stadium, which is made of 4 block stands with big metal roofs ???
:shootself

Who gives a flying f*** what those bastards think? It's because of their actions that delayed everything for years that a re-design is now necessary. If they get some ugly box stadium much bigger than the original then they've got exactly what they deserve. I hope!

One thing's for sure-whenever there is an election the Lib Dems must be campaigned against by Albion fans-especially that bald wanker Baker. He should f*** off back to Scotland and poke his beak into Scottish affairs.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I have now been told by a SOURCE that

THE STADIUM SIZE HAS INCREASED BY 50% BUT THE AMOUNT OF SEATS WILL STILL BE THE SAME

What if we ALL agree to go on a diet.............will the original size be OK then...?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Reading between the lines, the cost for this was £40 million when the application first went in. Now it is £60 million, is it fair to speculate that the club has been trying to get the extra funding but failed to do so and have now realised that the numbers don't add up.
It's very worrying indeed, if they can't afford it why don't they build a SMALLER stadium now, with the option to expand if we do well in the future.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I have now been told by a SOURCE that

THE STADIUM SIZE HAS INCREASED BY 50% BUT THE AMOUNT OF SEATS WILL STILL BE THE SAME

It sounds like the nice sweeping lines of the original stadium will be replaced by something more 'boxy'. Any mathematician will tell you there will be an attendant increase in internal volume.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Who gives a flying f*** what those bastards think? It's because of their actions that delayed everything for years that a re-design is now necessary. If they get some ugly box stadium much bigger than the original then they've got exactly what they deserve. I hope!
The problem is, so will we. Have you seen Colchester's new stadium? So rubbish.

Right now any stadium would be ok though. :(

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Calm down folks. There is a difference between outline planning permission and detailed planning permission, and currently all we have is outline planning permission. I'm sure Lord B will correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly certain that as long as the "redesigned" stadium fits within the outline plan and meets all the relevant planning requirements and restraints then there shouldn't be a problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here