Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] The Nelson

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
:lolol:

Worst. Aussie. Theme. Pub. Ever.

Never nice to lose a local pub. Tho there's a small mean part of me that isn't that sorry to see the Cobbler's Thumb go down under.

The landlady was actually Australian (at one stage), she was as friendly as a rabid Tasmanian Devil.

I even remember the old New England Inn. Bottled beer only and the management sustained themselves on Whisky and Nicotine ....nice

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I thought that place was going to become flats after it closed, or at least no longer a pub, obviously l was wrong.

No, it's definitely still a pub. Called The Ruby now and it's been decently done up - no more sticky floors.

Best improved pub is The Jolly Brewer, Ditchling Road taken over by a couple of guys who have transformed it. That have an eclectic taste in music and have themed nights celebrating different styles of music.

Thanks for this. I'd only been to the JB once and it was such miserable experience I thought it was most inappropriately named pub ever. I'm going to have another visit.

I even remember the old New England Inn. Bottled beer only ...

That must be going back a bit. Back in the 70s and early 80s it was one of the few places that sold Harvey's

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
No, it's definitely still a pub. Called The Ruby now and it's been decently done up - no more sticky floors.

Thanks for this. I'd only been to the JB once and it was such miserable experience I thought it was most inappropriately named pub ever. I'm going to have another visit.

That must be going back a bit. Back in the 70s and early 80s it was one of the few places that sold Harvey's

It was 80s. I moved to Preston Circus area in 1982. They definitely had no draught beer. It was a tiny bar, felt like you were sitting in someone's front room

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Run by the same people who transformed the Pond

Yep! I like it, bit more space but equally good beer selection.

I don’t mind hot food but most of the Indian stuff was pretty hot. Good idea though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here