Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Neal Maupay half time team talk

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned (apologies if fixtures).

On MOTD last night there was a post match interview with a fired-up Maupay who said (I paraphrase) "I said to the players at half time that we need to fight for everything and I....."; it sounded like was saying he gave the team talk. I'm surprised the 'Potter OUT'ers haven't been all over this like a rash.

My take is this: love it. Can you imagine a team with Stuart Pearce in it where he sat meekly at half time while the manager did all the talking with the team 1-3 down?

The players let the manager down in the first half and they knew it. If part of the half time process was little Neal giving his team mates a sort of French-style bollocking, then good. It shows they care. And the pride showed in the second half

UTA!

That’s great. We will need this in spades to stay up. Good management by Potter if he took a step back and let this happen naturally.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Dunk failed to snuff out the cross for their first goal as well as failing to block the cross for Wolves final chance, it might be his own head that needs bashing!

Indeed, and with the first goal players are terrified of this 'accidental hand ball in the box always=penalty' thing. Even Dunk managed to make himself as wide as a stickman. The ruling is resulting in very unnatural stances from defenders.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I’m not sure Locadia & Andone would agree after very limited chances, apparent attitude problems then subsequently moved on by the manager very quickly. Matty Ryan might also be witness to Potter’s ruthlessness as he has effectively sacked him.

Let’s see if Potter keeps Burn away from the 1st team now, he might play the the tall man in the cup but I imagine that Veltman or White will be in for him in the back 3 that faces Man City.

Sure, but was thinking more in terms of dressing room. Ruthless is different to being ‘nice’ (in my mind anyway [emoji2]).
[MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] has highlighted that it has happened in the past, hopefully yesterday at half-time was another occasion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Indeed, and with the first goal players are terrified of this 'accidental hand ball in the box always=penalty' thing. Even Dunk managed to make himself as wide as a stickman. The ruling is resulting in very unnatural stances from defenders.

That could well be the reason he let the ball sail pass.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
sounds like somebody watched Escape to Victory on Boxing day

A dressing room, half time

Dunk, "we scored a goal"
Lallana (lying on treatment table) "what?"
Dunk, "Yeah Aaron got one .... 3-1, but we scored a goal!"
Bissouma, "**** this, I'm off to Real Madrid"
Maupay, "Hang on Lads, we can win this"
Burn, "It's not as if we're getting slaughtered skipper" (everyone stares at him)
Sanchez "I'm not going back out there"
Dunk "Come on Bob you're not a bad keeper"

Potter stands by a nobo board staring vacantly into space sucking the wrong end of a sharpie with ink dribbling down his chin.

Maupay, pushes Potter out the way, grabs the pen and starts drawing "Look, just give me the ball here, I run here (points to penalty area) and then I fall over"

etc.

anyway game restarts and finishes as a draw but the fans react like they've just won the second world war.

(just a shame that Connolly's overhead kick wasn't the equaliser)

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I know that there is an unwritten rule of not criticising Dunk on NSC but ‘everything right’?
Vintage Dunk blocks those crosses. Check out their first goal, Dunk turns his back on the crosser, it’s just really poor. White is equally to blame but let’s not turn a blind eye to Lewis’ shortcomings just because he is one of our own, loyal and our captain.

https://youtu.be/B2TYwd2tnqE

Dunk should have done better, but my preference is that he is not pulled into a position to block a cross, when his strength is centrally, which I’m afraid brings Burn’s role back into play. Personally, I put White, March and Burn as more culpable. March, because he had the best view to pick up the CB or instruct White (who again switched off).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Dunk failed to snuff out the cross for their first goal as well as failing to block the cross for Wolves final chance, it might be his own head that needs bashing!

The first goal happened because Burn could not find our keeper with a simple header , instead went for a corner ,
The whole defence now is so weak , any team if they attack us would score ,
The whole defence needs working on

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
sounds like somebody watched Escape to Victory on Boxing day

A dressing room, half time

Dunk, "we scored a goal"
Lallana (lying on treatment table) "what?"
Dunk, "Yeah Aaron got one .... 3-1, but we scored a goal!"
Bissouma, "**** this, I'm off to Real Madrid"
Maupay, "Hang on Lads, we can win this"
Burn, "It's not as if we're getting slaughtered skipper" (everyone stares at him)
Sanchez "I'm not going back out there"
Dunk "Come on Bob you're not a bad keeper"

Potter stands by a nobo board staring vacantly into space sucking the wrong end of a sharpie with ink dribbling down his chin.

Maupay, pushes Potter out the way, grabs the pen and starts drawing "Look, just give me the ball here, I run here (points to penalty area) and then I fall over"

etc.

anyway game restarts and finishes as a draw but the fans react like they've just won the second world war.

(just a shame that Connolly's overhead kick wasn't the equaliser)

YOu're right . . .spy cam? or masquerading as a member of the Abba-esque back room staff? Potter still had ink on his chin in the post match interview. E0DE062A-6363-43CC-942D-BF674ECCCEA3.jpeg

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
That’s great. We will need this in spades to stay up. Good management by Potter if he took a step back and let this happen naturally.

This. Got to have the internally created pressure within the team itself as well as the external pressure of the manager. All good captains have this ability to motivate the team from within. Needs 'characters' also to stand up and create the atmosphere too.

Knocky was like that. A French thing?.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Exactly. This sort of thing is actually a sign of good management, not something to criticise the manager for. He’s clearly building a dressing room where players are encouraged to speak up and take responsibility.

Last night was a real show of character. If we didn’t have any, or if GP had lost the dressing room, as some of his critics here insisted was the case, we lose that 3, 4, or 5-1.

There is no doubt the players are behind the manager.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That sort of thing doesn't happen in modern football ................. does it?

Paging [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] who thinks they watch videos and talk tactics at half time these days :wink:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Paging [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] who thinks they watch videos and talk tactics at half time these days :wink:

Haha.. its pretty much what they generally do. When you let three goals in after going 1-0 up I think there is a little bit less of watching match sequences and a little bit more of "wtf are you doing you *****"

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned (apologies if fixtures).

On MOTD last night there was a post match interview with a fired-up Maupay who said (I paraphrase) "I said to the players at half time that we need to fight for everything and I....."; it sounded like was saying he gave the team talk. I'm surprised the 'Potter OUT'ers haven't been all over this like a rash.

My take is this: love it. Can you imagine a team with Stuart Pearce in it where he sat meekly at half time while the manager did all the talking with the team 1-3 down?

The players let the manager down in the first half and they knew it. If part of the half time process was little Neal giving his team mates a sort of French-style bollocking, then good. It shows they care. And the pride showed in the second half

UTA!

I know how you love a song to emphasis a point.

I think this was played straight after Maupay’s pep talk and should now replace the SHITE Ring of Fire too, much more relevant to L’il Ole Brighton

https://youtu.be/N8i5NLyXZdc

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
He thinks quite a lot of himself doesn’t he our Neal?!

Can quite easily see how that previous bust up will have happened.

So do a lot of players. It’s fine as long as you deliver, like Connolly and Maupay did yesterday.
The manner of that comeback was as encouraging as getting a point.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I'm not 100% sure that it was any team talk that changed things massively.

Wolves gave away a needless penalty when there were 3 defenders surrounding one attacker.

Once the penalty goes in the players smell blood and a vulnerability about the the opposition and they hunted Wolves down. So they really deserve a lot of credit for that and could have won the match.

The comeback should give the players confidence to take into the next match.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The interview played on BBC sussex and Warren didn't believe him. To be honest, I don't see it being that big a deal, whether he said his part, or muttered it to a couple of teammates as they were going in the tunnel and he's overstated it. I prefer the idea of a dressing room full of players speaking up and pushing the team on, than a team of players sat their mutely while the manager rants or calmly relays further tactical nuance.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Might be interesting to go back to the incident of a couple of month's ago when Ryan and Maupay were dropped. Maybe the team talk didn't go as well that time.....

What has been missing from Maupay is his arrogance it's the .5% that makes him better and those sort of small margins are what counts at the highest level.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Might be interesting to go back to the incident of a couple of month's ago when Ryan and Maupay were dropped. Maybe the team talk didn't go as well that time.....

What has been missing from Maupay is his arrogance it's the .5% that makes him better and those sort of small margins are what counts at the highest level.

It's probably easier to be arrogant when you've scored in your previous start than after a long drought in front of goal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here