The must-have albums of 2013

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just bought White Denim's new album. Not got a clue what they're like but a review sounded good.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
OK forget all that it's A Winged Victory for the Sullen. I'm hungover.

But you might have come up with a better concept. I for one would be interested in a dance choreographed to You Need Satan More Than He Needs You and Sorry Dad, I Was Late For The Riots.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Just bought White Denim's new album. Not got a clue what they're like but a review sounded good.

I would be interested in what you think. I don't know anything about them but they have sold out The Haunt and are favourites of Resident Records.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

I'm pretty sure you'll love them. They are a garage rock band but at the more commercial end of the spectrum than say Thee Oh Sees or Ty Segall. My personal fave album of theirs is "Fits" but they've been consistently good for quite a while now.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
And Hookworms - Pearl Mystic won Drowned In Sounds Neptune Prize, their alternative to the mercury, just pipping, to my suprise, These New Puritans modern classic "Field of Reeds."

http://drownedinsound.com/news/4147...-neptune-album-prize-2013-winner-is-hookworms

Both super abums though.

Hookworms play psych rock in the vein of early Spititualized, though I could imagine fans of early Verve or Kasabian getting plenty out of them. They were an absolute riot live at GDS earlier this year.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
It's a return to form. The tour has just been pulled. Get well soon Lemmy.

Got 3 or 4 very good tracks, Coup de Grace, Do You Believe and Dust & Glass come to mind. There are quite a few "end of the road" type lyrics/comments eg ”I gotta shut the door behind me, Go out and buy some highway shoes" . Also a few reused lyrics from a number of old songs used in context. We were due to see them with Skew Siskin and Saxon in a couple of weeks, just hoping he can recover and make it for the proposed rescheduled dates in the spring.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Blimey! Not sure what I would make of that. Will have to investigate.

And Hookworms - Pearl Mystic won Drowned In Sounds Neptune Prize, their alternative to the mercury, just pipping, to my suprise, These New Puritans modern classic "Field of Reeds."

http://drownedinsound.com/news/4147...-neptune-album-prize-2013-winner-is-hookworms

Both super abums though.

Hookworms play psych rock in the vein of early Spititualized, though I could imagine fans of early Verve or Kasabian getting plenty out of them. They were an absolute riot live at GDS earlier this year.

Boy do I have a problem with these guys that I can't shift.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Seeing mention of the latest Four tet offering (btw, any fan of Kieran Hebden needs to go back and check out his album - Happiness - when he was part of Fridge) and also Bonobo's offering this year, I'm surprised no one's mentioned Mount Kimbie's latest yet - Cold Spring Fault Less Youth.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I bought Cold Spring when it was first released not knowing much about the band. They had some favourable reviews and thought it was worth a listen- very pleased that I bothered. They are playing at The Concorde next Wednesday- would be good to hear the songs live. The King Krule collaborations work suprisingly well.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Loving the Chrvches album, as most 80s' kids do/will.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
How To Stop Your Brain In An Accident by Future Of The Left is my album for the month of October. Going to be in top three spot as this rate for 2013.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Rarities by Ane Brun

A double album special. First album lots of acoustic tracks , second album full of Scandinavian full sounds. Both big GROWERS!

On tour in the UK this month, she is absolutely fabulous, believe me.

An artist not to miss.

End

TNBA

TTF

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Brought the Cut Copy album earlier this week. Whilst not as good as their debut a really enjoyable record that doesn't deviate too far from their previous offerings.

Listening to Yo La Tengo for the first time today and enjoying it, loads of good albums this year and it's going to be tough picking a top ten.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I went somewhat off piste and bought this on a whim (due to the soundbites by many of my favourite soundsters on the front cover).

http://www.resident-music.com/productdetails&product_id=27666

8089900792-500x500.jpg

On first listen it's rather good.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm really enjoying Daniel Avery's debut called Drone Logic. It mixes up beats, techno and electronica with some really nice acid and krautrock thrown in for good measure. He's a Fabric resident and has a mixCD out on their label as well. I you love a burbling 303 then check him out.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Just brought Yo La Tengo and Kurt Vile both superb and amongst the best I've listened to this year.

If anyone hears of a spare ticket to Kurt Vile at the Concorde I would be very interested.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports