Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The must-have albums of 2013

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Never done four tet. Always thought the coolness ourtstripped the music. Would you disagree?

Yes - there is love is a great album, came out a similar time to caribou's album swim which was marginally better. Good live act also saw them at the Concorde 2 a few years back.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Persevere it's a great album, probably their best ever. I've been listening to the new National album a lot recently, for me along with Daft Punk my album of the year so far.

Agree. Stick with it, it's a definite grower.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
My current job has me just a few tube stops from Aldgate East/Liverpool Street so I do spend quite a few lunchtimes in Rough Trade and albums that I've bought recently that I'd recommend:

Mazzy Star - yes, they're back and straight into the old groove. There's nothing ground-breaking in this long awaited album but it's still an excellent collection and just one of the reasons why I try to buy albums rather than one or two MP3s - the order of the tracks works really well. Each song 'fits' into its slot really well. I know a few other people who find this important too (Herr Tubthumper for one) and I think it enhances the song.

Pins - 'Girls Like Us' debut album from all-girl Mancunian band. They're like a rougher sounding Warpaint but a bit more poppy and less 'droney' on the guitars. A few hints at Spector pop too. Highly recommended.

Terror Bird - 'All This Time' Canadian female singer with a very 80s sounding electronic album. Yazoo, Pet Shop Boys, OMD but quite low-key. Extremely catchy. From what I gather it's also very much a DIY production.

I bought a few others including Marnie (singer out of Ladytron), Goldfrapp, Neon Neon but haven't got round to giving them a proper listen yet.

The good news for me is I think I'm finally getting Nick Cave's latest album. I'm not quite there but I'm warming to it. And I do keep returning to David Lynch's album. It's so good and with lots of discoveries every listen.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
On my birthday as well, thanks Mark.

On another subject, the new Future of The Left record might well be the best thing Andy Falkous has ever been involved in. Jawdropping.

I hope I don't regret getting Julia Holter tickets for 12 th November. Still the option of legging it to The Haunt and catch a bit of both. Future of The Left and McClusky seriously good bands that should be better known.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I hope I don't regret getting Julia Holter tickets for 12 th November. Still the option of legging it to The Haunt and catch a bit of both. Future of The Left and McClusky seriously good bands that should be better known.

FOTL will be back soon enough but I must say I've only seen this new 4 piece line up once & they were terrifyingly good.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Never done four tet. Always thought the coolness outstripped the music. Would you disagree?

Yes - there is love is a great album, came out a similar time to caribou's album swim which was marginally better. Good live act also saw them at the Concorde 2 a few years back.

Best artist of this decade for me (well until the next Swans album anyhow.) I'm not sure I've ever seen him as particularly cool either.

Alright alright dont go on about it. :thumbsup:
I'll give the album a listen.

(I can't remember asking the question, must have been shitfaced)

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
(I can't remember asking the question, must have been shitfaced)

We've all been there.

Give the new Teeth of The Sea record a go whilst you're at it. I'm only 2 listens in but it is clearly amazing & from what I've gleaned about your music taste, should be right up your street.

On reflection, the new four tet is his weakest for a while. As big nuts said "The Is Love In You" (2010) is the best place to start IMHO.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
We've all been there.

Give the new Teeth of The Sea record a go whilst you're at it. I'm only 2 listens in but it is clearly amazing & from what I've gleaned about your music taste, should be right up your street.

On reflection, the new four tet is his weakest for a while. As big nuts said "The Is Love In You" (2010) is the best place to start IMHO.

Cool, I'll investigate.

I've currently got Oneohtrix Point Never in my ears, think it might be a contender on first listen.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Cool, I'll investigate.

I've currently got Oneohtrix Point Never in my ears, think it might be a contender on first listen.

You've got good ears there, it took a few for me but same as you, it's one of my faves of the year. "Zebra" was the first track that really clicked with me.

This is 3 blinders in a row from Mr Lopatian (Returnal, Replica & R Plus 7.) Replica is one of my favourite records of the last 10 years. This song in particular is just perfect, especially when you know where the samples come from.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009

If you like Caribou's Swim and you haven't seen it, then check out Jialong by Daphni. It's the same fella Dan Snaith, who was effectively Caribou. Not quite as good as Swim but very close. One of my albums of the year.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm really playing ther new Julliana Barwick album loads at the moment. I think it was Albumen who first spoke about it on this thread. It's one of those that just washes over you (albeit in a beautiful way) the first couple of times you listen to it. However, when passages start to stick in your mind it really comes into it's own.

For fans of Sigur Ros's less bombastic moments, Grouper & My Vloody Valentine's more ambient stuff.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I'm really playing ther new Julliana Barwick album loads at the moment. I think it was Albumen who first spoke about it on this thread. It's one of those that just washes over you (albeit in a beautiful way) the first couple of times you listen to it. However, when passages start to stick in your mind it really comes into it's own.

For fans of Sigur Ros's less bombastic moments, Grouper & My Vloody Valentine's more ambient stuff.

Yeah, lovely stuff. That'll be my afternoon listen then. Currently listening to Tim Hecker's new one, rather special too.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Yeah, lovely stuff. That'll be my afternoon listen then. Currently listening to Tim Hecker's new one, rather special too.

I'm going to give the new Hecker a whirl tomorrow I think. I'm going to go against type and say that I'm yet to be bowled over by him but I have developed more of a love for this type of music through Emeralds & OPN since I gave Hecker a really good go. I'm sure I'll love it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here