The must-have albums of 2013

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
2013 has been a good year for music, and there's still lots left to come.

Agreed, and much better than last year. I'm looking forward to hearing Mazzy Star's long-awaited return and very pleased to see someone else here has already given it the thumbs up.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Just brought Repave by Volcano Choir which is fronted by Justin Vernon from Bon Iver. Very enjoyable on first listen, not a huge departure from the aforementioned band.

Not so taken with the new Washed Out album, certainly not as good as the EP and Within Without.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Just brought Repave by Volcano Choir which is fronted by Justin Vernon from Bon Iver. Very enjoyable on first listen, not a huge departure from the aforementioned band.

Not so taken with the new Washed Out album, certainly not as good as the EP and Within Without.

I remember being very keen on the first Volcano Choir record, haven't given this one much of a go yet. Thanks for the reminder.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
This is definitely my thread of the year so far, so many excellent recommendations and the breadth of knowledge amongst its contributors has given me the confidence to go on recommendations.

Reviewing it again I need to go back and buy neon neon & deerhunter for some reason both albums have passed me by this year despite enjoying their previous offerings.

Just listened to the Goldfrapp album for the second time, its very good and well worth buying.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Saw a great band from Brisbane Saturday night. They were called Millions, supporting Peace and were for me better than the headliners.

Keep an eye out, they have 2 EPs on Spotify but are yet to release their first album.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Aussie band The Naked and Famous released their 2nd album on Monday. 2nd albums are notoriously difficult, but they seem to have continued their form from their debut and added a greater emotional depth. Big swaying beats which are going to be amazing live.

Not sure i can quite believe that no one has mentioned the new NiN album (unless I missed a page). Reznor still continues to amaze.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Released in November last year but hey ho I've only just bought it. Psychedelic Pill by Neil Young and Crazy Horse. Is there another rock star who is nearing 70 that can keep coming up with so much quality music. The guitar playing is just amazing. Starts with a 27 minute track Drifting Back and not a bad track on the album. The rawness of Crazy Horse as a backing band makes this a standout album for me. Anyone else have it?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is definitely my thread of the year so far, so many excellent recommendations and the breadth of knowledge amongst its contributors has given me the confidence to go on recommendations.

Reviewing it again I need to go back and buy neon neon & deerhunter for some reason both albums have passed me by this year despite enjoying their previous offerings.

Just listened to the Goldfrapp album for the second time, its very good and well worth buying.

I agree. There are a number of posters on this thread who's opinions I read with much interest.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

I'd give the Neon Neon record a bit of a listen before you buy. I adored Stainless Style and was really looking forward to it but it didn't really make an impression on me at all, outside of 1 or 2 tracks. Let me know what you think, admittedly I have a bit of a habit these days of not giving things enough of a chance & my expectations were perhaps a little high in the first place.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'd give the Neon Neon record a bit of a listen before you buy. I adored Stainless Style and was really looking forward to it but it didn't really make an impression on me at all, outside of 1 or 2 tracks. Let me know what you think, admittedly I have a bit of a habit these days of not giving things enough of a chance & my expectations were perhaps a little high in the first place.

I found it a little flat at first but persevered. Whilst it does not touch the brilliance of Stainless Style (which was an exceptional album IMHO) it is a grower. My only real complaint is that it is so short; it’s marginally over 30 minutes.

I've been listening to the new Forest Swords album a lot over the past few days. Not sure how to describe it but it's the work of a single producer, is instrumental and is trip-hoppy, dubby and electronic and very nice.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I've been listening to the new Forest Swords album a lot over the past few days. Not sure how to describe it but it's the work of a single producer, is instrumental and is trip-hoppy, dubby and electronic and very nice.

I absolutely adore everything about this guy, there's something about the sound that is just completely up my street. The EP's are great but he absolutely nailed it on the album. It's going to be a top 5/10 record for me this year.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Liking the Crystal Stilts album. I think I'm going to be alone when I say that the Karl Hyde album is going to be in my top 5 this year. I've bought over 70 vinyl albums but this keeps hogging my ears.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Not the must have album of 2013, but it WAS the must have album of 2008.

Thanks to Plan B and 'Ill Manors' I've been listening to this all summer long.........

My favourite song from 'Stadtaffe' is the 2nd track though, 'Schwarz zu Blau'

Last edited:

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
Liking the Crystal Stilts album. I think I'm going to be alone when I say that the Karl Hyde album is going to be in my top 5 this year. I've bought over 70 vinyl albums but this keeps hogging my ears.

I really like Crystal Stilts. Their new one is every bit as good as the first two.

Also loving True Widow - Circumambulation. True Widow are often described as stonegaze as they are kind of like a mix of shoegaze and stoner rock.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Yup. His best effort in decades.

really? I was rather disappointed, all too predictable and hugely self indulgent, however, if you can't do what the **** you want in your 60's when can you! I enjoyed Americana better, very unexpected that one....

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
New Placebo is for the disciples only. Molko whines in his usual way, plenty of buzzsaw guitars and Stefan gives it plenty of bass. Better than Battle for the Sun IMO, but not going to expand their fan base.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
really? I was rather disappointed, all too predictable and hugely self indulgent, however, if you can't do what the **** you want in your 60's when can you! I enjoyed Americana better, very unexpected that one....

I guess it depends on whether you like 27-minute rambling jam sessions. Generally I don't, but I do very much when Crazy Horse are involved.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports