The must-have albums of 2013

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Never quite got the Arctic Monkeys myself but obviously prepared to give the new album a listen. Lots of people saying it is their best. For me, the House of Love's "She paints words in red" is outstripping everything. What comebacks should be about.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I've never got the Arctic Monkeys. Just don't see the attraction.

Good lyrics and good tunes. Don't judge them on their first album, I'm not a fan of it.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I've never got the Arctic Monkeys. Just don't see the attraction.

Fair enough. I like their latter day guitar sound and Turner's way with words.

I like the lyrics, my kids like the music. They get the better deal.

Good lyrics and good tunes. Don't judge them on their first album, I'm not a fan of it.

But is it as good as Aphex Twins Selected Ambient Works Vol1 as Ive just bought that again. If it is I'll give it a listen.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
But is it as good as Aphex Twins Selected Ambient Works Vol1 as Ive just bought that again. If it is I'll give it a listen.

Get the Aphex Twin on!

I've no real problem with AM, I was the right sort of age when the demos came out. I'll never forget the Arctic Monkeys/ Maccabees gig at the Komedia, which I think was the week before/after I Bet You Look Good... was released. It was one of the first gigs that really got through to me the power of filesharing, as they played pretty much all non-released stuff and the crowd knew pretty much every word.

I was pretty keen on the first 2 records. I've lost them since then, probably more to do with my tastes changing than anything they've done particuarly wrong.

I was a bit offended by Alex Turner doing a Johnny Cash impression at Glasto though.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Get the Aphex Twin on!

I've no real problem with AM, I was the right sort of age when the demos came out. I'll never forget the Arctic Monkeys/ Maccabees gig at the Komedia, which I think was the week before/after I Bet You Look Good... was released. It was one of the first gigs that really got through to me the power of filesharing, as they played pretty much all non-released stuff and the crowd knew pretty much every word.

I was pretty keen on the first 2 records. I've lost them since then, probably more to do with my tastes changing than anything they've done particuarly wrong.

I was a bit offended by Alex Turner doing a Johnny Cash impression at Glasto though.

Too busy with Haxan Cloak. Enjoy the gig tonight!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Agree totally with the first sentence.

Personally, they won me over with the first album, which I still think is brilliant. They've not let me down since - can't say that for two many bands onto their fifth album.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The King Krule album is exceptionally good. Yet another from the Brit School who has proven that you don't need to be formulaic to get ahead in music. He has something of the early Paul Weller or Elvis Costello in his biting lyrics and delivery. I like this album a lot.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I lost interest in the Arctic Monkeys after the first album and a few listens of the second, I tried unsuccessfully with the subsequent albums, however do I wanna know turned my head back to them as its a blinding tune and as such have given this album a good listen and it is a very good Album, Its even got me dipping back into the previous albums I dismissed and they aren't as bad as I thought.

Zen Frenzy

Jul 2, 2013
Withdean
John Grant - Pale Green Ghosts
Daft Punk - RAM
Pixies new material hasn't got beyond single and EP but astonishingly good even without Kim Deal.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Fair enough. I like their latter day guitar sound and Turner's way with words.

I like the lyrics, my kids like the music. They get the better deal.

Alex Turner really is one of the best songwriters about in the current 'mainstream'. He's a clever chap, and I love that he sticks to writing about stuff that's real to him, and his world. And the fact that he delivers it in his Sheffield accent, rather than some wanky mid-atlantic shit, so prevalent elsewhere.

I've not heard the new album, so ignoring that, his best work to date for me, is actually not Arctic Monkeys material at all, but The Last Shadow Puppets album. For me, a beautiful piece of work. Also, for those who missed it - the soundtrack he recorded for the film Submarine. Very good too, in a similar vein.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Alex Turner really is one of the best songwriters about in the current 'mainstream'. He's a clever chap, and I love that he sticks to writing about stuff that's real to him, and his world. And the fact that he delivers it in his Sheffield accent, rather than some wanky mid-atlantic shit, so prevalent elsewhere.

I've not heard the new album, so ignoring that, his best work to date for me, is actually not Arctic Monkeys material at all, but The Last Shadow Puppets album. For me, a beautiful piece of work. Also, for those who missed it - the soundtrack he recorded for the film Submarine. Very good too, in a similar vein.

You're spot on regarding the Submarine soundtrack. Shadow Puppets is damn fine as well.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
There's something about them reminiscent, to me, of Joe Lean and the Jing Jang Jong, and I need to shake that as it's the equivalent of spraying them with Agent Orange before they've even begun. But I think they'll be the real deal. Maybe.

Strypes are in a different league to Joe Lean and the Jing Jang Jong

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Anybody looking forward to Haim's album??? From the singles they seem rather decent.

Not really - over-rated and hyped beyond belief by NME, so I shall steer well clear.

Interesting that no one has mentioned London Grammar's debut album which entered at Number 2 in the Album charts this weekend. Delightful gem of an album. Was a shame they released the same week as the AM - may have stood a chance of getting a number one spot. 2013 has been a good year for music, and there's still lots left to come.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports