see below...

Brought the following today:-

Arctic Monkey's
Goldfrapp
Washed out
Boards of Canada
Franz Ferdinand
Babyshambles

Will report my findings in the next few weeks.

One's I were close to buying were
The Phoenix - They're not my cup of tea but my mates that are fans report that whilst not quite as good as Wolfgang Amadeus, it is still a cracker.
Yeah yeah Yeah's - Dissappointing, I thought but I haven't really liked much of theirs since the debut.
MBV - As long a you don't go expecting them to top IA or Loveless, this is a belter of a record.
Suede
Steve Mason - One of my faves of the year for sure. More consistent than the patchy, if occasionally brilliant debut.

Any views on the above? Can anyone recommend these purchases for later in the year.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Here's the shortlist for the Mercury then

Arctic Monkeys - AM
David Bowie - The Next Day
Disclosure - Settle
Foals - Holy Fire
Jake Bugg - Jake Bugg
James Blake - Overgrown
Jon Hopkins - Immunity
Laura Marling - Once I Was An Eagle
Laura Mvula - Sing to the Moon
Rudimental - Home
Savages - Silence Yourself
Villagers - Awayland

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

Arctic Monkeys - AM
Disclosure - Settle
Foals - Holy Fire
Jake Bugg - Jake Bugg
James Blake - Overgrown
Jon Hopkins - Immunity
Rudimental - Home
Villagers - Awayland

Reckon Disclosure have that one in the bag.

nick c

Mar 29, 2008
bn26
Jagwar Ma - "Howlin" It is an awesomely good album. Imagine baggy madchester but with a Hot Chip/Passion Pit remix. Superb debut by the Aussie band.

Just had the pleasure of listening to this album while on holiday,incredible album which got better with every listen.ENJOY!!!!!(Great description also,i picked up on some beach boys too).

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Are they going to be the boy band that us aged rockers will be able to like. Would love it if they, by some bizzare twist, ended up as big as One Direction and the Young Pottings were grooving to Rollin' and Tumblin' and listening to Daddies old blues albums on their iPods!

We can only dream I suppose. I played it to my Grade 4 class yesterday who moaned and complained untill i told them they weren't old, the album was released on Monday and they are younger than One Direction. Most kids gave it a good listen and quite liked it!

I will crack out the Muddy Waters today :)

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Just had the pleasure of listening to this album while on holiday,incredible album which got better with every listen.ENJOY!!!!!(Great description also,i picked up on some beach boys too).

Yes! Adding the Beach Boys into the mix is a great call. I can see where you're coming from there. I think this might just be my favourite album so far this year.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Pond - Hobo Rocket.

Psychedelic retro-blues/rock from another Aussie band. It's one of those albums that's both a slow-burner in parts and an instant success in others. Lots of humour too which is great to see.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

I missed them at Bestival but listened to the record a fiar bit in the lead up. It's really quite good, definately a Roses vibe in there.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

Arctic Monkeys - AM
Disclosure - Settle
Foals - Holy Fire
Jake Bugg - Jake Bugg
James Blake - Overgrown
Jon Hopkins - Immunity
Rudimental - Home
Villagers - Awayland

I only have one of these- Savages- so will be hoping they win. A great album.
The only year I was really interested in this award was when British Sea Power were beaten to first place by Elbow.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
I agree with a lot of this. More kudos in being in Pitchfork or Quietus top albums of the year than a Mercury winner. Ok- so you dont get the cash or channel four coverage but I think it has more weight.

Agree with everything Shields says. Should be about the best piece of music not who, or how it is distributed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I can confirm the new Arctic Monkey's album is exceptional certainly amongst their very best.

Ha. I just came to this thread to post about this album. I'm listening to it right now. I'm really enjoying it, it's very mature and I actually prefer their latter output...I never liked their debut but their subsequent output works for me. Certainly a bloody good album. Time will tell if it's exceptional though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've never got the Arctic Monkeys. Just don't see the attraction.

Fair enough. I like their latter day guitar sound and Turner's way with words.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here