Hove
Brought the following today:-

Arctic Monkey's
Goldfrapp
Washed out
Boards of Canada
Franz Ferdinand
Babyshambles

Will report my findings in the next few weeks.

One's I were close to buying were
The Phoenix
Yeah yeah Yeah's
MBV
Suede
Steve Mason

Any views on the above? Can anyone recommend these purchases for later in the year.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Jagwar Ma - "Howlin" It is an awesomely good album. Imagine baggy madchester but with a Hot Chip/Passion Pit remix. Superb debut by the Aussie band.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Arctic Monkey's
Goldfrapp
Washed out
Boards of Canada
Franz Ferdinand
Babyshambles

The Phoenix
Yeah yeah Yeah's
MBV
Suede
Steve Mason

Any views on the above? Can anyone recommend these purchases for later in the year.

The new Yeah Yeah Yeahs album, Mosquito, is great, one of their best. Love it. So is Steve Mason's. Both should be purchased.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Just pre-ordered Arcade Fire's new double album Reflektor via their website. Comes with a freebie download of the new single which I have to say is growing on me after a couple of plays - very different and very catchy 7 minute epic. Also seems to come with some pre-sale rights when special gig and world tour tickets go on sale - and they are awesome live.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Just finished listening to it as it goes. Very enjoyable. I haven't heard a NiN album since The Fragile, so the more electronic sound came as something of a shock to me but I've missed out over a decade so it may be more familiar to you.

A brilliant album. Best since Downward Spiral IMO.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Tried them the first batch .... opinions in CAPS LOCK

Latest Mercury Music Prize Odds, shortlist anoounced soon:

London Grammar (If You Wait) 15/8 - NOTHING NEW
Foals (Holy Fire) 4/1 - NOT BAD BUT DIDNT BLOW MY MIND
Steve Mason (Monkey Minds In The Devil's Time) 4/1 - NOTHING NEW
David Bowie (The Next Day) 9/2 - ITS BOWIE NUFF SAİD
Laura Marling (Once I Was An Eagle) 5/1 - NO
The Savages (Silence Yourself) 7/1 - OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YES!!!! LIKE THIS
Disclosure (Settle) 14/1 - NOT FOR ME
Primal Scream (More Light) 14/1 - OK BUT WOULDNT BUY
Chvrches (The Bones Of What You Believe) 16/1 SHOULD BE SAYING ITS SH**T BUT HAS SOMETHING
Outfit (Performance) 20/1 CATCHY GOT POTENTIAL BUT WOULDNT BUY
King Krule (6 Feet Beneath the Moon) 20/1 - YES LIKE THIS
These New Puritans (Field of Reeds) 20/1 - REALLY REALLY GOOD!
Peace (In Love) 20/1 - LIKE THIS TOO
Daughter (If You Leave) 20/1 -AT FIRST THOUGHT NOT ORIGINAL BUT IS GROWING ON ME
Tom Odell (Long Way Down) 20/1 - NOTHING SPECIAL

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just pre-ordered Arcade Fire's new double album Reflektor via their website. Comes with a freebie download of the new single which I have to say is growing on me after a couple of plays - very different and very catchy 7 minute epic. Also seems to come with some pre-sale rights when special gig and world tour tickets go on sale - and they are awesome live.

Agree about their live show. One of a few bands I actually think are better in an arena. I'm going to pre-order now as their long player is produced by one of my heroes James Murphy and I am dying to hear his produciton.

Flex Your Head

This is awesome:

joanna-gruesome-vinyl.jpg

You can listen to the whole album here - tracks 2, 4, 5, 6, and 7 are just stunning.
http://pitchfork.com/advance/214-weird-sister/

Drowned in Sound like it. A lot:

Joanna Gruesome’s debut record is one in which this Cardiff five-piece manage the rare feat of spanning genres and sub-genres without losing focus. Bridging the gap between aloof effortlessness and concentrated fury, the record segues between riot grrrl, dreampop, grunge, twee, punk, shoegazing et al continually: a Nineties indie 101 from a band whose influences and reference points may be clear, but their own songcraft cannot be doubted.

http://drownedinsound.com/releases/17840/reviews/4146836?ticker

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia

Arctic Monkey's
Goldfrapp
Washed out
Boards of Canada
Franz Ferdinand
Babyshambles

The Phoenix
Yeah yeah Yeah's
MBV
Suede
Steve Mason

I bought both the Yeah Yeah Yeah's and Suede vinyls for the Mrs and both are ok but bizarely neither came with any form of download! The Yeah Yeah Yeahs is better and the artwork is insane, the Suede one starts off very promisingly as a real return to 90's form but then drifts into too much Brett self pity for me.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Latest purchase in our house was again for the Mrs (do you see what I'm doing here) - City and Colour's The Hurry and The hard (on vinyl of course) - very good album IMHO.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've just bought the Arctic Monkey's and Forest Swords new long players.

Released last Monday

Are they going to be the boy band that us aged rockers will be able to like. Would love it if they, by some bizzare twist, ended up as big as One Direction and the Young Pottings were grooving to Rollin' and Tumblin' and listening to Daddies old blues albums on their iPods!

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Are they going to be the boy band that us aged rockers will be able to like. Would love it if they, by some bizzare twist, ended up as big as One Direction and the Young Pottings were grooving to Rollin' and Tumblin' and listening to Daddies old blues albums on their iPods!

There's something about them reminiscent, to me, of Joe Lean and the Jing Jang Jong, and I need to shake that as it's the equivalent of spraying them with Agent Orange before they've even begun. But I think they'll be the real deal. Maybe.

There's something about them reminiscent, to me, of Joe Lean and the Jing Jang Jong, and I need to shake that as it's the equivalent of spraying them with Agent Orange before they've even begun. But I think they'll be the real deal. Maybe.

Must listen to the lot you mention. The Strypes may not have the most original sound I have heard (but then a lot of youngsters have probably never heard it) but as long as they make music the spirit of the Feelgoods with Wilko will live,

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Been listening to the new David Lynch album (yes..that David Lynch). Very much a continuation of the first album from last year (or was it 2 years ago?) although there's very little in the way of that indie electro sound of 'Good Day Today'. It's all slide guitar blues, distortion, echo, wah-wahs, crunching riffs. A complaint is that he does like to distort his voice in a similar style for most tunes - I wonder if it's a lack of confidence in his singing ability. The songwriting is off the scale in terms of wackiness. If you like weird David Lynch-type movies then you'll love this album too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here