The must-have albums of 2013

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I'd never heard of Parquet Courts until last week reading about them on this thread and then checking them out on itunes - liked what I heard, went down 78's, bought the vinyl and must have played it half a dozen times over the weekend - great stuff.

Saw them at a festival last week. They were very good. The album is somewhere between Amazon HQ and my doormat as I type.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I saw this lot at TGE a few years ago. I to had my jaw on the floor. Quite a spectacle at 2pm upstairs in a pub.

Their album is worth a listen too. Dont think it will make this years best album thread as it was 2012. They have also recorded with Savages.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We were in the same room! At the Hope wan't it? Unbelievable gig that was.

A month or so later I saw them with Damo Suzuki, which is up there with best gigs I've ever seen.

Yes it was in The Hope. It was quite amazing and probably more amazing because I did not know what to expect; I was left a bit dumstruck after most of my senses had been pulverised in a short space of time on a Friday afternoon. I think Die Die Die might have been on some time after?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Yes it was in The Hope. It was quite amazing and probably more amazing because I did not know what to expect; I was left a bit dumstruck after most of my senses had been pulverised in a short space of time on a Friday afternoon. I think Die Die Die might have been on some time after?

And loud Herr, I remember it being very, very loud.

I left straight after but I can't remember who I went to see. Truthfully I was in some type of awestruck funk for a good 2 hours. Around the same time, I saw them at the Free Butt and back in those days, they used to do a 2 minute freak out, noise thing to start the show as I'm sure you're aware. Of the 40 or so people in the room it was amusing to see the difference in reaction, ranging from delirium to outtright revulsion. Proper band!

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
Loving The Boards of Canada record.

Best thing they've done I think. Been a long time due though, here's hoping it won't take quite so long for their next album to come out.

Other albums I've thoroughly enjoyed listening to in recent weeks:

Jon Hopkins - Immunity
Moderat - II
Jagwar Ma - Howlin'
Washed Out - Paracosm
The National - Trouble Will Find Me
Gold Panda - Half of Where You Live

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Best thing they've done I think. Been a long time due though, here's hoping it won't take quite so long for their next album to come out.

Jon Hopkins - Immunity
Moderat - II
Jagwar Ma - Howlin'
Washed Out - Paracosm

Really like that Jon Hopkins record & will be seeing him at Bestival in a couple of weeks. Also it's totally different but the record he did with King Creosote t'other year is wonderful.

If you are liking the boards of Canada record, make sure you give Holden - The Inheritors a listen - some very BoC sounding stuff on there.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
On first listen the new Franz Ferdinand appears to be a massive return to form. It may be a bit too late to recover the ground lost since their debut though.

Streaming here - http://www.npr.org/2013/08/19/210175...s-right-action

I'm enjoying this a hell of a lot more than I thought I would, there's a couple of tracks that scream filler but otherwise it's remiding me of why I fell for them in the first place. A bit like bumping into your hot ex who you dated in 2004 & she hasn't aged a day.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

Jon Hopkins - Immunity
Moderat - II
Jagwar Ma - Howlin'
Washed Out - Paracosm

I like it but the Brazil track is really annoying and it doesn't quite hit the previous albums heights.

That said, I may still see him at Coalition in November.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Listening to Kodaline on BBC Reading and Leeds highlights, like what I've heard. Is this band recommended by the NSC modern music buffs? I can hear some Coldplay sounding influences. Basically asking if they have made any standout recommended albums that I should buy and won't tire of after a couple of hearings. I'm always a bit suspicious of music I like on first hearing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
http://youtu.be/U2ZOlCWvPBM

I'm really enjoying Mikal Cronin's MCII album. This will certainly be in my top 5 albums of this year.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
http://youtu.be/U2ZOlCWvPBM

I'm really enjoying Mikal Cronin's MCII album. This will certainly be in my top 5 albums of this year.

Was playing this earlier whilst driving- perfect on a sunny summers day. Had not even heard of him before Great Escape this year. Glad I got to see him live.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've only heard a few tracks from it but Manchester band, Money have a debut album 'The Shadow of Heaven' and it's already being tipped for a Mercury nomination. The tracks I've heard are quite epic too. Has anyone got the album yet?

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
Cannot wait for the new K-Ci & JoJo Album due out this year.

First song already been released and sounded class still

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports