Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The must-have albums of 2013

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Looking forward to the new Placebo in September.

"My computer thinks I'm gay / I threw that piece of junk away / on the Champs-Elysees / as I was walking home / this is my last communiqué / down the super highway"

*snigger*

Still a good song, mind...

[yt]Y5cZvbOisk4[/yt]

Last edited:

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
"My computer thinks I'm gay / I threw that piece of junk away / on the Champs-Elysees / as I was walking home / this is my last communiqué / down the super highway"

*snigger*

Still a good song, mind...

[yt]Y5cZvbOisk4[/yt]

Great track, he's son goes to the school I teach at I will be trying to get a free ticket next time he's playing here

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Thoroughly recommend Julia Holter, "Loud City Song". First few listens elicited a most positive response in Pevenseagull towers. On repeated listens it just gets better and better.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Already out:
Bowie - The Next Day
Stornoway - Tales from the Terra Firma
Bastille - Bad Blood
Biffy Clyro - Opposites (Album of the year so far - unbelievable)

To be released:
The 1975 debut album (TBC), this is going to be their year. They have already released a new re-recorded version of 'The City', which is expected to appear on a new EP, however an album is by no means far away for them.
Arctic Monkeys - (Name TBC) Pretty much confirmed by the bands drummer that they will release an album this year. Will follow on nicely from their numerous festival headline slots.
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories. The few songs they've previewed off the album so far have been fantastic, although not that similar to the 'old school' Daft Punk everyone knows and loves. Can easily see this being the highest sold album in 2013, being 8 years since they released any music. Let's hope a tour proceeds it...
Laura Marling - Once I Was An Eagle. NME said: "on first exposure 'Once I Was An Eagle' really does seem to be another astonishingly mature step forward. In 20 years she'll be celebrated as one of the greats – just be glad you could be here now."...
Tom Odell - Long Way Down. Not released until June but I got sent it a few weeks back and it is absolutely astounding. It's the album I've been most looking forward to and in no way does it disappoint.

So glad this was bounced I searched for Laura Marling and found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvwWzcLfH-k
Video filmed in Brighton :) Great voice and song.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Thoroughly recommend Julia Holter, "Loud City Song". First few listens elicited a most positive response in Pevenseagull towers. On repeated listens it just gets better and better.

Oh my days

Hyperbole is insufficient

It's like 'Coco Rosie' but much better

Last edited:

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

Will be getting this soon. Very excited to be seeeig her live in Novemebr.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've been a long time fan of Julia Holter. She is quite wonderful and a rare talent. I'd put her up with Saint Saviour, PlanningToRock, Lykke Li and Chelsea Wolfe as the ground-breaking, genre-mangling artists to watch.

New albums I can't wait to hear: David Lynch, Belle and Sebastian, Mazzy Star. This is a very good year for music.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Totally agree. Have discovered a few bands through NSC.

I'd never heard of Parquet Courts until last week reading about them on this thread and then checking them out on itunes - liked what I heard, went down 78's, bought the vinyl and must have played it half a dozen times over the weekend - great stuff. That may be my only NSC musical discovery however although I did spend an hour or so of drop jawed incredulity watching that mental Japanese London based mob Bo Ningen after an NSC recommendation....

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've been playing David Lang's Death Speaks over and over this past week. As the name suggests, it's a cheery little album around the theme of dying. It's supremely beautiful and haunting though

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I did spend an hour or so of drop jawed incredulity watching that mental Japanese London based mob Bo Ningen after an NSC recommendation....

I saw this lot at TGE a few years ago. I to had my jaw on the floor. Quite a spectacle at 2pm upstairs in a pub.

The Del Lords - Elvis Club

Unshamed guitar rock with country/folk/blues influences , first track "When the drugs kick in" should give you an ideal what they sound like from the name of the track alone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here