The must-have albums of 2013

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Love Adrian Sherwood me. I think he's one of the British underground's under appreciated geniuses.

As an On -U man, you must hear an album called 936 by Peaking Lights. I attach a Sherwood remix of one of the tracks for your listening pleasure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbTqXoqmPvg

Must check that out, used to love going to see Tackhead, especially when LeBlanc opened with his touched up drum kit - still give the Pay It All Back series a spin every now and then. As for taxcider.....

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Not a must have but the new Bowie album is getting a lot of airplay at Tubthumper Türme today. As is Atoms of Peace.

Interesting, the wife spins the Bowie album every chance she gets yet can't stand Atoms For Peace which I love - not quite a Jack Sprat situation at our gaff but close

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Must check that out, used to love going to see Tackhead, especially when LeBlanc opened with his touched up drum kit - still give the Pay It All Back series a spin every now and then. As for taxcider.....

That's 3 of us then! The On U Sound facebook group is an infrequent poster but sends me the odd gem every now and then.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Not a new album, granted, but AMAZING news nonetheless. The webstore for Cardiacs (possibly the most heinously underrated British band of the last 20 years or so) is re-opening at midnight tonight. Unfortunately they are extremely unlikely to ever release any more music due to main man Tim Smith being incapacitated by heart attacks and a stroke.

http://thequietus.com/articles/13101-cardiacs-reopen-online-store-benefit-concert

For the unitiated "A Little Man and a House and the Whole World Window" is the best starting place IMHO.

Ha! A man of taste you are. Was on there last night at 12:00am adding my collection of Cardiacs T-Shirts to (for Tim, obvs). The only LP I haven't got is Guns so I'm hoping they add it soon.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Ha! A man of taste you are. Was on there last night at 12:00am adding my collection of Cardiacs T-Shirts to (for Tim, obvs). The only LP I haven't got is Guns so I'm hoping they add it soon.

Good man, I haven't been on yet, though I hope to pick up some goodies when I get back from Bestival. I could talk about how brilliant this band are for hours but it usually falls on deaf ears. They definately need a little time to become accustomed to as there is just so much going on. I didn't get to see them live but everyone I know who did says it was something very special indeed.

Get well soon Tim.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Good man, I haven't been on yet, though I hope to pick up some goodies when I get back from Bestival. I could talk about how brilliant this band are for hours but it usually falls on deaf ears. They definately need a little time to become accustomed to as there is just so much going on. I didn't get to see them live but everyone I know who did says it was something very special indeed.

Get well soon Tim.

Oh no! I saw them 5 times I think, fell in love from the first time I heard them in 87. There's the Cardiacs and then there's every other band. I met Bic (Marenest Christian) last year and was starstruck for the first time ever.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Oh no! I saw them 5 times I think, fell in love from the first time I heard them in 87. There's the Cardiacs and then there's every other band. I met Bic (Marenest Christian) last year and was starstruck for the first time ever.

Best..... live..... album ..... ever

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_that_Glitters_is_a_Mares_Nest

You got any reccomendations on Cardiacs related projects? I see William D Drake is playing Brighton soon, is he worth catching?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
INCOMING!!!

32 track album, new material

Ladies and Gentlemen

THROWING MUSES

http://www.uncut.co.uk/throwing-muses-return-with-first-new-material-in-ten-years-news

The 32 track Purgatory/Paradise album will be available on October 29, 2013 as a deluxe 64-page book and a full studio album on CD, published by the experimental HarperCollins imprint, The Friday Project.

The book edition contains photography and artwork from the band's Kirstin Hersh and David Narcizo, as well as notes and handwritten lyrics for each song by Hersh. Narcizo has designed the book and artwork. Content also includes a commentary track for the album by Hersch and Nacizo, an instrumental version of the album and MP3 versions of all tracks complete with embedded data, artwork and lyrics

That is going to be P R I C E Y.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

All I really know about this band is that the bass player from Napalm Death was often seen sporting a (very large) Cardiacs t-shirt.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Not a new album, granted, but AMAZING news nonetheless. The webstore for Cardiacs (possibly the most heinously underrated British band of the last 20 years or so) is re-opening at midnight tonight. Unfortunately they are extremely unlikely to ever release any more music due to main man Tim Smith being incapacitated by heart attacks and a stroke.

http://thequietus.com/articles/13101-cardiacs-reopen-online-store-benefit-concert

For the unitiated "A Little Man and a House and the Whole World Window" is the best starting place IMHO.

The only Cardiacs song I know is "Is This The Life", which is a blistering squall of guitar tunery. For some reason, I've never bothered to look any further. Is that song representative of their general sound/approach?

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire

Love the Cardiacs, Got into them properly too late so alas was never in the "pond". I shall be checking out the store now :thumbsup:

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Best..... live..... album ..... ever

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_that_Glitters_is_a_Mares_Nest

You got any reccomendations on Cardiacs related projects? I see William D Drake is playing Brighton soon, is he worth catching?

I've not seen any really, heard a little of KnifeWorld which is Kavus' baby, and there's a whole load of friends and family bands on the Tim Smith tribute album that came out last year. I keep meaning to see Mr Drake but never get round to it.

All I really know about this band is that the bass player from Napalm Death was often seen sporting a (very large) Cardiacs t-shirt.

Napalam Death often toured with the Cardiacs, supporting them from time to time. In fact, (FAO: Spring Hall Convert) Maresnest was actually a Napalm Death gig and the Cardiacs pretty much took it over to do a (now legendary) live filming.

The only Cardiacs song I know is "Is This The Life", which is a blistering squall of guitar tunery. For some reason, I've never bothered to look any further. Is that song representative of their general sound/approach?

Not really, that was more an anthemic track on the first album. They always always ended with it though. This is more proper Cardiacs - hold on to your hat.

[yt]OxhuQWKwbqY[/yt] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxhuQWKwbqY .
Apparantly this long long awaited DVD is going to be released soon. Can't bloody wait.

Love the Cardiacs, Got into them properly too late so alas was never in the "pond". I shall be checking out the store now :thumbsup:
Do it! :)

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Released in Dec 2012 so not sure it qualifies as an Album of 2013, but I am loving The Defenestration of St Martin by Martin Rossiter. Lots of high quality tracks but this should give you a feel for it:

[yt]R5qDXWFqf_c[/yt]

Seems hes a Brighton boy as well.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Released in Dec 2012 so not sure it qualifies as an Album of 2013, but I am loving The Defenestration of St Martin by Martin Rossiter. Lots of high quality tracks but this should give you a feel for it:

[yt]R5qDXWFqf_c[/yt]

Seems hes a Brighton boy as well.

He played at last years Wedding Present Festival in Brighton and was amazing. Also at Great Escape Festival. The album is one of my top ten for 2012 and was sadly overlooked in many quarters.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

It's not but it is, they weren't a group to stay in the same place for too long, yet you'd know a song was them in seconds of hearing it. It's kind of hard to explain. It's certainly them at their most accessible.

That might be the most fannish thing I've ever written.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports