Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The must-have albums of 2013

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The fact it's darker does in deed appeal. Going to get tickets for September too. I don't know much about the support but will investigate them.

Apologies if it has already been taken down but their set from Glastonbury was the second best thing I saw on the telebox (behind the mighty Portishead, that whole weekend.) Intense.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p01c3hqf/Glastonbury_2013_F***_Buttons_Glastonbury_2013/

Should get you in the mood.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have been playing the new Steve Mason long player a lot recently.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I have been playing the new Steve Mason long player a lot recently.

One of my faves this year for sure. I like the way he's included so much more in the sound since the occasionally brilliant Boys Outside. Have you heard the dub of Boys Outside, called Ghosts Outside that he did with Dennis Bovell? Well worth a listen.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I've been playing a lot of the Wavves album which I know is a bit old now for you trendsetters but is excellent, and the new Clinic album (amazed they are still going and bringing out good albums) and Thee Oh Sees and Kurt Vile.

Will get the **** Buttons album tomorrow.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I've been playing a lot of the Wavves album which I know is a bit old now for you trendsetters but is excellent, and the new Clinic album (amazed they are still going and bringing out good albums) and Thee Oh Sees and Kurt Vile.

Have you heard Parquet Courts' album? I was obsessed with the Wavves album, then PC kinda blew everything away for me on the lo-fi thing. Someone unkindly compared Wavves' mono-chord, emo lyrics style to a slightly more cerebral Blink-182, although it is a very good album, plus the PC record is not going to get surpassed lyrically or conceptually this year unless perhaps Jeff Mangum makes an album.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Have you heard Parquet Courts' album? I was obsessed with the Wavves album, then PC kinda blew everything away for me on the lo-fi thing. Someone unkindly compared Wavves' mono-chord, emo lyrics style to a slightly more cerebral Blink-182, although it is a very good album, plus the PC record is not going to get surpassed lyrically or conceptually this year unless perhaps Jeff Mangum makes an album.

Yeah I've been listening to that a lot as well and saw them live at Great Escape. Wavves remind me more of early Weezer then Blink 182, which is a very good thing IMO but its the sort of album I'll listen to a lot before getting completely bored of it.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Just got Speedy Ortiz's album "Major Arcana" and had it on loop almost all weekend.

If you like Pavement, you'll love this.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/18245-speedy-ortiz-major-arcana/

never heard of them until your post, 30 mins later I am in my very happy place.

very good work.

I went out with a very attractive young lady in the late 1990s who once used the phrase 'sound like Pavement' as if it were a bad thing ........ dear reader, I ditched her.

:thumbsup:

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Gig.....of......the.....year I reckon. Did you see Haxan Cloak supporting Liars a while back?

Liars at the GDS? Didn't see the support as I got there late, so I'm hoping it wasn't the Cloak!
Forrests is a damn fine EP too, cheaper to buy the LP on their website. They're the extra support in London for FB & HC. Alas, not Brighton (despite my efforts).

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Liars at the GDS? Didn't see the support as I got there late, so I'm hoping it wasn't the Cloak!
Forrests is a damn fine EP too, cheaper to buy the LP on their website. They're the extra support in London for FB & HC. Alas, not Brighton (despite my efforts).

I'm pretty sure it was that one, though my memory might be playing tricks on me. Vessel was supposed to support them at the Haunt earlier this year & didn't show so I know it wasn't that one. It might have even been in London. Forget I asked, I've confused myself now.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

Will get the **** Buttons album tomorrow.

Got the F Buttons album today but yet to remove the shrink wrap covering! The latest Clinic album is good but not their best. There is a remix version that is better. Imaginatively titled Free Reign 2. Available to download here:

http://dominorecordco.com/uk/albums/11-01-13/free-reign-ii/

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not a must have but the new Bowie album is getting a lot of airplay at Tubthumper Türme today. As is Atoms of Peace.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Picked up the Barbarossa album this week and it's an instant hit. Lo-fi electronica and great voice to match. He's consolidated a few EPs into this debut album but if you haven't heard him before then give him a listen. It's a very good album.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here