Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The must-have albums of 2013

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I never make it far through anything by Editors before just sticking on an Interpol album. It is just better.

Hooray! Nice to see some others who see the light.

Interpol are a MASSIVELY underrated band.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Agree with everything you've said. Truly great albums just keep giving no matter how many times you listen to them and at the moment the bit of RAM which I am fixed on is the drumming on Contact... which is phenomenal. I looked up the drummer's CV and they certainly didn't go for a cheap option.

Love the line about gambling.

Yup, Omar Hakim, he played at RAH in Sting's band for the "Blue Turtle" tour - can't remember which track it was but he had a fully ten minute drum solo, mental. I love cranking the iPod up for Contact as loud as I can take it, and my ears ain't what they used to be, just love it.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
I own most now after a bit of a binge buy. All of the ones there you have mentioned are great and the other series you mention are compelling too. The only problem is at £20 + a pop for the Vinyl I always seem to be skint!

Total respect, vinyl is a lifestyle, end of.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Sorry if it's been mentioned previously, but I reckon the latest Sabbath album is their joint best (along with
1973's Volume IV, my fave Sabbath album). It's definitely as good, and as heavy. as their early albums up until Sabotage.
Tony Iommi (recovering from cancer, God bless him) is still churning out crunching, pile-driving, sludgy riffs, with the criminally under-rated Geezer Butler's bass rumbling menacingly underneath the wall of noise.
And some great lyrics too: 'I don't wanna live for ever, but I don't wanna die.' :rock::rock::rock:

Black-Sabbath-13-album-art-604x569.jpg

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Pet Shop Boys - Electric

Not quite the all out masterpiece of Random Access Memories but still their best work for over 25 years. The album gets stronger as it goes along and the last 4 tracks are all barnstormers. 9.0. Check this track out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKxWCJOdjK8

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I'm a year late, but thought it deserved a mention as I've just spent all week with nothing else playing. 2012's '12 bit blues' by Kid Koala is AWESOME. If you like trip hop and blues, that is.

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The F*** Buttons new record might just be their best and I rate their other 2 very highly.

In fact, I'm hard pushed to think of many bands of recent vintage that have emerged with a first 3 ralbums of the quality of Street Horsing, Tarot Sport & Slow Focus. They're one of my favourite acts about currently.

2 of their songs Surf Solar & Olympians featured heavily in the Olympic Opening ceremony, fact fans.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Hooray! Nice to see some others who see the light.

Interpol are a MASSIVELY underrated band.

Interpol, underrated? TOTBL regularly featured in the upper echelons of the best albums of the last decade. I think the reason people might be a bit stuffy about them now is unarguably their records have been adhering to the law of diminishing returns to the point the last one was merely Ok.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
The F*** Buttons new record might just be their best and I rate their other 2 very highly.

In fact, I'm hard pushed to think of many bands of recent vintage that have emerged with a first 3 ralbums of the quality of Street Horsing, Tarot Sport & Slow Focus. They're one of my favourite acts about currently.

2 of their songs Surf Solar & Olympians featured heavily in the Olympic Opening ceremony, fact fans.

And Haxan Cloak are supporting in Spetember. Oh yesh.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

Going to visit Resident tomorrow to buy this. Have heard nothing but positives.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
As long as a bit of drone and feedback doesn't offend you (and given what I know about your tastes I don't see why it should), you'll love it. It's a bit colder & nastier their previous work so if you like it you'll be flying with the other 2 albums.

The fact it's darker does in deed appeal. Going to get tickets for September too. I don't know much about the support but will investigate them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here