Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The must-have albums of 2013

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
This. As much as I'd like to score some "cool" points by nominating something underground I simply love everything about Random Access Memories. Daft Punk have pulled off the most pompous and ambitious album for decades. I love everything about it, from the thoughts and philosophy behind the concept, to the marketing through to the stella, and bizarrely varied, line up used to record it. Every song is a killer and I listen to it pretty much every other day at least. In fact I have just finished listening to it.

Spot on Tubs, it's been massively hyped up and marketed, played everywhere, and is arguably mainstreamBUT, it's just awesome. I still can't get enough of Contact.

My 9 year old son said to us the other day "I've been thinking about what the lyrics to Get Lucky mean" to which my wife and I reacted by turning to each other with a shall you tell him or me look.he the says "I think it's about gambling"! We told him he was probably right - he's gonna give us shit in a few years when he works it out (or his sister tells him)......

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
I highly recommend "Dear River" the new album from Emily Barker and the Red Clay Halo.

A little different from Daft Punk mind.

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
I put this in a thread last night but this thread is more suited for it. Just got into Phosphorescent -Muchacho. It is absolutely beautiful!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Spot on Tubs, it's been massively hyped up and marketed, played everywhere, and is arguably mainstreamBUT, it's just awesome. I still can't get enough of Contact.

My 9 year old son said to us the other day "I've been thinking about what the lyrics to Get Lucky mean" to which my wife and I reacted by turning to each other with a shall you tell him or me look.he the says "I think it's about gambling"! We told him he was probably right - he's gonna give us shit in a few years when he works it out (or his sister tells him)......

Agree with everything you've said. Truly great albums just keep giving no matter how many times you listen to them and at the moment the bit of RAM which I am fixed on is the drumming on Contact... which is phenomenal. I looked up the drummer's CV and they certainly didn't go for a cheap option.

Love the line about gambling.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Has anyone had a listen of the new Editors album that came out last week?

It's a mixed bag but if you are a fan of the first 2, you should get something out of it. It's very different from the last one.

The guitarist has left though and I remember him being rather good when I saw them in the early days.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's a mixed bag but if you are a fan of the first 2, you should get something out of it. It's very different from the last one.

The guitarist has left though and I remember him being rather good when I saw them in the early days.
Cheers. I think they've lost their guitarist but gone from 4 to 5 piece.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Glad you mention Late Night Tales. I have a few of these, my favourite being MGMT which has all manner of wierd stuff on it.

Yup. I'd go with that. I like the Belle and Sebastian and Snow Patrol (unashamedly a big fan of this album) ones too. DJ-Kicks and All Back To Mine series in the same vein have some real gems too.

Mad as my Mother

May 21, 2013
Dorset
Glad you mention Late Night Tales. I have a few of these, my favourite being MGMT which has all manner of wierd stuff on it.

Yup. I'd go with that. I like the Belle and Sebastian and Snow Patrol (unashamedly a big fan of this album) ones too. DJ-Kicks and All Back To Mine series in the same vein have some real gems too.

I own most now after a bit of a binge buy. All of the ones there you have mentioned are great and the other series you mention are compelling too. The only problem is at £20 + a pop for the Vinyl I always seem to be skint!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I own most now after a bit of a binge buy. All of the ones there you have mentioned are great and the other series you mention are compelling too. The only problem is at £20 + a pop for the Vinyl I always seem to be skint!

Ouch! Thank God I made the decision to stick with CDs. I can pick them up from Amazon and Discogs for around a fiver each.

For me the DJ-Kicks must have: Daddy G; Back to Mine must have EBTG, Audio Bullies, Liam Prodigy - the one to forget or use as a place mat - Pet Shop Boys (The Neil Tennant one anyway. pretentious twaddle).

Forgot to mention Midlake's Late Night Tales. Really not a fan of theirs but the compilation is brilliant. They got me into Vashti Bunyan.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Husky Rescue from Finland played at The Great Escape this year. Bought their album The Long Lost Friend and thoroughly enjoying it.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Got their first album and very nice it was. They played here quite a bit a few years back but I thought they'd long split up. Thanks for the heads up.

This is their fourth album. Hope to catch them live again soon.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Daft Punk's, Random Access Memories is the best album I have heard in a decade. Every single track is a winner and Touch is a thing of incredible poignancy and beauty. The string section at the end is from the Angels. 10 out of 10.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I never make it far through anything by Editors before just sticking on an Interpol album. It is just better.

I thought this went without saying. TOTBL is a fantastic record.

I do however, have alot of time for the first Editors album, my first date with my missus was Editors at The Engine Rooms in 2005 and it was an absolute cracker

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I thought this went without saying. TOTBL is a fantastic record.

I do however, have alot of time for the first Editors album, my first date with my missus was Editors at The Engine Rooms in 2005 and it was an absolute cracker

I listened to Antics the other night. I'd never really given it a chance, but it's a fine album. I'm afraid i'm showing my age when i say that my first musical date with my wife was at a Slowdive concert just before they released their second single. It was upstairs at a pub but still remains one of the defining points in my life - the original sonic cathedral of sound assaulting my senses from six feet away. Pure bliss!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Daft Punk's, Random Access Memories is the best album I have heard in a decade. Every single track is a winner and Touch is a thing of incredible poignancy and beauty. The string section at the end is from the Angels. 10 out of 10.

I've had a quick listen to these, are we back in an 80's Disco?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here