The must-have albums of 2013

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
I really like the new Vampire Weekend album at the moment, Modern Vampire or whatever it's called. It's a huge improvement on their first two, which I liked as well.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Harsh. I've always found the national albums to be growers so I'm giving it time.

Maybe, but I agree with KoB. I've given it several listens and it has grown a bit, but is still too pedestrian for my liking. I'm disappointed mainly because I rate their other albums very highly.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Shopping later to buy Mark Kozelek's new album

If the rest of the record is of this standard it may well be game over for album of the year

swiss tony

Aug 3, 2004
Honduras
Thanks for posting the Kozelek track. This is amazing!! I got a copy of Sun Kil Moon's album "Among the Leaves" on my last trip back to the UK and have been caneing it recently.
I was lucky enough to the Red House Painters a few times.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Thanks for posting the Kozelek track. This is amazing!! I got a copy of Sun Kil Moon's album "Among the Leaves" on my last trip back to the UK and have been caneing it recently.
I was lucky enough to the Red House Painters a few times.

my pleasure, he's been making me shiver for over 20 years. I saw Red House Painters in Leeds in the early 90s and I might as well have got a tattoo ... part of me forever.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
The 'Jagwar Ma' album 'Howlin' is an absolute corker, a little bit Stone Roses / Primal Scream ish but with their own unique sound.

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
So, just past the half way point of the year. What is everyone's favorite record of the year?

These New Puritans - Field of Reeds for me.

Mine is Deafheaven - Sunbather. A black metal record infused with shoegaze and post-rock influences. A must have for anyone into that sort of thing.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Mine is Deafheaven - Sunbather. A black metal record infused with shoegaze and post-rock influences. A must have for anyone into that sort of thing.

Yup really enjoying this one. That's said as someone, who loves that 2nd generation black metal stuff like Emperor, Mayhem, Darkthrone etc... but I haven't been able to listen to a new black metal record for 13/14 years. The Ash Borer record should appeal to you if you like this one.

Mad as my Mother

May 21, 2013
Dorset
Really sorry if this one has been mentioned before but one of my favourite albums of 2013 so far is

Late Night Tales - Röyksopp

For anyone not familiar with the Late Night Tales series.

It's an album made up of songs picked by certain bands, sometimes including a couple of their own. In this case, Daddy by Röyksopp and a cover of the amazing Depeche Mode's, Ice Machine.

Eclectic, interesting, unique, relaxing and deeply entertaining.
51A6V5VFRYL._SY450__PJautoripBadge,BottomRight,4,-40_OU11__.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Agree with this - Nile Rogers rules!!

This. As much as I'd like to score some "cool" points by nominating something underground I simply love everything about Random Access Memories. Daft Punk have pulled off the most pompous and ambitious album for decades. I love everything about it, from the thoughts and philosophy behind the concept, to the marketing through to the stella, and bizarrely varied, line up used to record it. Every song is a killer and I listen to it pretty much every other day at least. In fact I have just finished listening to it.

Mad as my Mother

May 21, 2013
Dorset
This. As much as I'd like to score some "cool" points by nominating something underground I simply love everything about Random Access Memories. Daft Punk have pulled off the most pompous and ambitious album for decades. I love everything about it, from the thoughts and philosophy behind the concept, to the marketing through to the stella, and bizarrely varied, line up used to record it. Every song is a killer and I listen to it pretty much every other day at least. In fact I have just finished listening to it.
I have to admit, I think it's pretty damn awesome too! I would have included it on my post but I saw others had mentioned it already so gave it a miss.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Perhaps not the most fashionable, but for me this years favourite so far is Dustin Bentall, new album just out, "You are an Island"

[yt]_Sqa4Rsimuc[/yt]

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
For the middle-aged out there, Lloyd Cole has finally returned to his Rattlesnakes roots and to good effect.New album "Standards" is arguably his best as a solo artist.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have to admit, I think it's pretty damn awesome too! I would have included it on my post but I saw others had mentioned it already so gave it a miss.

Glad you mention Late Night Tales. I have a few of these, my favourite being MGMT which has all manner of wierd stuff on it.

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
Wisdom of Crowds by Bruce Soord and Jonas Renske - first new album in a long time that I have listened to, and then immediately listened to again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports