The must-have albums of 2013

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Here we go, you're all coming out the wood work now that me and Spring Hall have proclaimed its brilliance (well, that it's half decent) :smile:

I thought it was better than their first album which had the benefit of two extremely well written, radio friendly tracks. The second is not as immediate and that probably is the attraction for me. I like them!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Been paying Mikal Cronin's second album since getting it on Saturday and enjoying it immensely. Not bought Savages yet and will probably have a look at Public Service Broadcasting.

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
Aidan Baker - Already Drowning

The latest album by the guy out of the experimental/ambient/doom band Nadja. Beautiful stuff.

Warm Soda - Someone For You

New band by ex-Bare Wires frontman. Album full of catchy, punky, garagey power pop.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm enjoying the Vampire Weekend album. My kids are enjoying the Vampire Weekend album. We're all happy on a long car ride. Looking forward to Boards of Canada a lot. Deerhunter is disappointing - would have preferred it to be a bit more Lotus Plaza than muddy lo-fi. Bring back Lockett Pundt.

That's a shame, opinions eh? You dislike it for exactly the reason I like it, I think. TBF Bradford's always worn the Deerhunter trousers, I suppose the most "Lockett" sounding one was Microcastle, Bradford also writes songs at the rate of 10 to 1 versus Lockett, hence the imbalance.

Have you heard the first Lotus Plaza album, Floodlight Collective? Even hazier and gazier than Spooky Action IMHO.

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
He hasn't left has he? I'm actually liking the new Deerhunter album, a bit of a departure but why not?

Other albums I'm getting into but need more listens are VW, Haxan Cloak, Karl Hyde, Focus Group, Lubomyr Melnyk, and Savages. If Savages was an instrumental album I think I'd love it, but it's not and she gets on my tits.
I can't be arsed with Daft Punk.

That Haxan Cloak album is absolutely serious. AOTY for me at the minute.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Mark Kozelek's new album Perils from The Sea with Jimmy Lavalle is up there at the moment as my favourite. Closely followed by John Murry and Kurt Vile's albums.

That John Murry album snuck into my top 50 last year, as I only heard it in December through a friend. If I were to do it now, it would be top 20. He's excellent live as well, he won't be playing small venues for much longer I shouldn't think.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
That's a shame, opinions eh? You dislike it for exactly the reason I like it, I think. TBF Bradford's always worn the Deerhunter trousers, I suppose the most "Lockett" sounding one was Microcastle, Bradford also writes songs at the rate of 10 to 1 versus Lockett, hence the imbalance.

Have you heard the first Lotus Plaza album, Floodlight Collective? Even hazier and gazier than Spooky Action IMHO.

You've worked out what i like - Microcastle is probably my favourite. Lockett is the exact opposite of Bradford character-wise - i'm sure he hardly gets a word (or song) in edgeways. Usually i like the mix of songs between the two, but this album hasn't got enough for me - hopefully it will grow on me, I'm absolutely terrible at rating an album on four or five listens - need at least 20. Only just warming up to the Local Natives' second....

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
The Depeche Mode album is growing on me...as did the XX's album of late. I've quite enjoyed them and am hoping I get a similar feeling with the latest Nick Cave although I doubt it. It was so underwhelming on the first few listens that I've begun to actively dislike it.

Interesting. The Depeche Mode one has conspicuously failed to grow on me although I think Soothe My Soul is one of their best tracks for years. On the other hand Nick Cave's album really has grown on me. Agree it's underwhelming at first. Hope it does it for you eventually, Much more depth to it than the DM album I'm feeling.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Interesting. The Depeche Mode one has conspicuously failed to grow on me although I think Soothe My Soul is one of their best tracks for years. On the other hand Nick Cave's album really has grown on me. Agree it's underwhelming at first. Hope it does it for you eventually, Much more depth to it than the DM album I'm feeling.

The Nick Cave album needs a decent hi-fi and being sprawled out on the sofa to fully enjoy it. It works really well in this context; it's quite a rich and warm album.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you like your techno check out Panorama Bar 5 by Steffi. A cracking solid mix of house and techno funk. One of the best mixCDs I have heard in ages.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
The Nick Cave album needs a decent hi-fi and being sprawled out on the sofa to fully enjoy it. It works really well in this context; it's quite a rich and warm album.

nail, head

I find roe on toast laced with vinegar and dusted with white pepper with a glass of modestly priced white wine only adds to the experience

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Glad you liked it. Hopefully they'll get the recognition they deserve when word spreads about the album. I'll try to remember and let you know if they're ever venturing down south - Newcastle was the furthest they got with their album launches, though they're playing Green Man this year if anyone's going to that.

I have a friend who works as a promoter and have put her on the case, hopefully we can find a way of getting them down here.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
That John Murry album snuck into my top 50 last year, as I only heard it in December through a friend. If I were to do it now, it would be top 20. He's excellent live as well, he won't be playing small venues for much longer I shouldn't think.

The John Murry album is magnificent. Very, very sad about Tom Mooney carking it .... but a terrific last piece of work ..... it has his mark all over it, American Music Club with him involved was American Music Club at their best

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
having listened to it again, it's 'English Little Leagues' by GBV, just shading Steve Mason

this in a year when MBV and Bowie hit stores with some pretty decent shit

happy days

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
So did anyone actually like the new Phoenix album? There seemed to be a lot of anticipation for it and then no one talked about it once it was released. Is is worth a spin?

Really like the Mikal Cronin one.

After seeing The Flaming Lips tonight I can see their new one really growing on me.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia

His band played an outdoor moody show here recently promoting it with Mark Lanegan as support - then Lanegan duetted on Where The Wild Roses Grow, just imagine....

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

The first time I saw These New Puritans was in a half empty Digital as part of The Great Escape a few years back. I then saw them as support to British Sea Power a few times. I enjoyed the first two albums which were very different to each other. This new one is again a change of direction and am looking forward to giving it a listen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports