Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The must-have albums of 2013

Govinda Tim

Apr 13, 2012
Brighton

S'MOS Hip Hop and Jazz Mixed Up. Not quite this year but close enough. Highly underrated and deserving of a wider audience. :smokin:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Really enjoying Andy Cato - Times and Places - of Groove Armada fame.

This might sound a bit bizarre but my father gave (a very drunk/refreshed) Andy Cato a lift in his wheelchair a year ago.

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
I have to say a huge thanks for all the different music posted on here, being abroad I miss out on so much. It has a made for an enjoyable evening

Mattstrugnell

PC Beard's Stare
Jan 2, 2011
The Raven That Refused to Sing by Steven Wilson.
The Rise and Fall of Crayola Lectern

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Petula Clark gave me a peck on the cheek and ruffled my hair when I was about 8 years old.

AND ....... I have photographic evidence ............. somewhere.

I'll see how the record sales go before I confirm how traumatised I was by the disgusting violation.

And then call Max Clifford

OK, maybe not Max Clifford

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
"The National"'s new long player is good if you like that kind of thing. I like that kind of thing.

re releases of the year so far (in my less than humble opinion): The Gregg Allman boxset & The Box Tops compilation (in glorious mono)

2013 is costing me an effing fortune

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
BRMC - Specter At The Feast: just goes to show how subjective reviews can be, everything I read suggested it was as weak as they've done but it's a grower that basically condenses their whole career in one great album.

Eels - Wonderful, Glorious: the title says it best.

The Strokes - comedown Machine: al last they make a different sounding album, a bit all over the place but another grower.

David Bowie - The Next Day: you simply can't join the conversation on this devise effort until you Hearst all. I reckon it fades out badly but the first side of 4 on my vinyl copy is a stonker.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - mosquito: one for the kids, my wife put me on to this and it's actually rather good. Like The Stokes it's all over the place but good nonetheless?

The Smoking Trees - Acetate: Californian psyche rock wig out from 2 former LA rappers on Cornershop's worldly Ampleplay label. 7 quid download only through e label, really interesting album.

Yet to buy: Primal Scream (already out buy vinyl as ever taking yanks to get to Oz. what I've heard is great and again all over the place, although it will do well to better City Slang from thie RSD 12"), and of course Daft Punk which sounds mad and, guess what, all over the place!

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
With apologies (but not particularly sincere ones) for my obsession with the Scottish music scene, it's another shout for Rick Redbeard's "No Selfish Heart" from over here.

And my most listened-to at the moment is "This Silent Year", the belated debut from Edinburgh-based, so-called "slowcore" outfit eagleowl. At the risk of lazy comparisons, if you like Low you'll probably like this. Great vid too.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I'm enjoying the Vampire Weekend album. My kids are enjoying the Vampire Weekend album. We're all happy on a long car ride. Looking forward to Boards of Canada a lot. Deerhunter is disappointing - would have preferred it to be a bit more Lotus Plaza than muddy lo-fi. Bring back Lockett Pundt.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
And my most listened-to at the moment is "This Silent Year", the belated debut from Edinburgh-based, so-called "slowcore" outfit eagleowl. At the risk of lazy comparisons, if you like Low you'll probably like this. Great vid too.

thank you very much for the lazy comparison, it insured my attention and delivered. Quite lovely, cheers

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
thank you very much for the lazy comparison, it insured my attention and delivered. Quite lovely, cheers

Glad you liked it. Hopefully they'll get the recognition they deserve when word spreads about the album. I'll try to remember and let you know if they're ever venturing down south - Newcastle was the furthest they got with their album launches, though they're playing Green Man this year if anyone's going to that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here