Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The must-have albums of 2013

Coach_Carter_92

Apr 25, 2013
Home
Another vote for Bastille, I have that album on repeat. Has anyone heard any of the latest Jimi Hendrix album? I haven't got round to listening to it yet and would like to know peoples opinions.

The Notorious BHA

Jan 29, 2011
Another vote for Bastille, I have that album on repeat. Has anyone heard any of the latest Jimi Hendrix album? I haven't got round to listening to it yet and would like to know peoples opinions.

For a posthumous album, it's good. It's certainly not perfect, nor his best, but there without a doubt some tracks on it that you have to listen to.

Another vote for Frank Turner - Tape Deck Heart. A sensational album from a man who just keeps giving and giving, this album is his crowning moment (parallel to England Keep My Bones) and his lyrics are as detailed and as heartfelt as ever.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Family Atlantica.

Coach_Carter_92

Apr 25, 2013
Home
For a posthumous album, it's good. It's certainly not perfect, nor his best, but there without a doubt some tracks on it that you have to listen to.

Another vote for Frank Turner - Tape Deck Heart. A sensational album from a man who just keeps giving and giving, this album is his crowning moment (parallel to England Keep My Bones) and his lyrics are as detailed and as heartfelt as ever.

Cheers, what tracks do you recommend?

fozzie's paper boy

Aug 20, 2011
Hove
This is a fantastic thread to wake up to - I now have John Grant on in the background (brilliant thus far) and a huge Spotify pile up to explore.

Matthew E. White and Charles Bradley both get votes from me.

One I've not seen mentioned here is the new Suede album, Bloodsports - not have been a particular big fan to date I was really impressed.

And one to watch - Slow Skies - scary when you discover a band because you know one of their dads, but truly beautiful music - check out their EP Silhouettes, and look out for another one in May.

Spamhead

Apr 26, 2013
The album Stickers by Boxes is great. Boxes is the Bass player out of Athlete. I think 'Don't look down' off the album is great. It and also 'Silent alarm' are well worth a watch on Youtube. Bit of a twist at the end of 'Silent alarm' video also slightly adult content if watching with kids in the room.

I really like:

Toro Y Moi – Anything in Return (got tickets for the gig at Concorde 2 in June)
Bonobo – The North Borders (got tickets for the all-dayer at the Roundhouse in May)

Looking forward to the new albums from Ghostpoet, Gold Panda and Daft Punk.

Quite liking Bastille too and there is some good stuff on their Soundcloud page. Check out the Other Peoples Heartache Pt 2 mix tape... OTHER PEOPLE'S HEARTACHE, PT. 2 by BASTILLE on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Foxygen - We are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic - is very good.

I really like San Francisco, a great 60s style West Coast pop song, but felt the rest of the album was a bit meh.

My current favourite is Ela Orleans 'Tumult in clouds' though that was released the week before christmas. However, 6th May sees the release of new albums by Public Service Broadcasting, Still Corners and Savages

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Apologies if there's already a thread on this. If so, I'll ask a mod to merge.

So what are your must-haves? I've not been overly enamoured of the Depeche Mode album - it's a little dirge-y for my liking although it will need some more listens and I'll give a better view. The new Nick Cave is a major disappointment so far. I've been on a huge new album splurge of late and am working my way through them all but very impressed with the following:

Steve Mason - Monkey Minds In the Devil's Time [a very complete and epic journey IMHO]

Phosphoresecent - 'Muchacho' [Trippy, laid back, poppy and quite beautiful. Fans of Neil Young, Bonnie Prince Billy, Felice Brothers will probably like this a lot]

Eels - Wonderful, Glorious [He seems ro alternate between rocky angst and introspective melancholy a lot. This is the rocky part of him. And I read that he got attacked on stage last week. Bizarre]

Major Lazer - Free the Universe [ Diplo taking no prisoners. A great party record]

Necessary Mayhem presents Gregory Isaacs Remixed [Superb re-workings of a true legend]

Shuggie Otis - 'Wings of Love' [First CD is blues/funk at its best. CD2 veers into 80s naffness, sounding like a Miami Vice soundtrack. Shame really]

Atoms For Peace - Amok [The music geek in me loves this album. My girlfriend doesn't and hates it. One for the Richie Hawtin-types]

Stornoway - 'Tales From Terra Firma' [once again, wonderful harmonies and the tracks forming an ongoing story but not as instantly likeable as their first]

JStar - Licensed Plates - [some great dub remixes all rolled into a superb album. Their remix of Madness's 'Forever Young' is so good I even went back and listened to some old Madness and I haven't done that in years.]

There's a few I've only given a cursory listen to ..Bonobo, Flaming Lips, David Bowie that I liked but my favourite two albums so far are:

Charles Bradley - Victim of Love [it's a proper old school soul/funk number - a bit like Bobby Womack's Bravest Man album last year. The spirit of James Brown lives in this too and as a guarantee of quality features the Menahan Street Band. That says it all really]

and number one so far.....

John Grant - Pale Green Ghosts. [I've liked him since his Czar days but he's found his own totally as a solo artist. He wears his heart on his sleeve, tends to be a little bit of a drama queen but the lyrics are as good as anything out there at the moment. And a long-standing NSCer is his music publisher too. If you get the chance go for the deluxe version of the album with the remixes on but skip the dubstep remix. It's horrid and unnecessary.]

Whilst I totally respect other peoples opinion mine are:

Steve Mason - total and utter cack, show-off no talent, just shouts
John Grant - looked forward to this one, really disappointed, will give it a 3rd run today, hope it grows on me, heard so much about the great lyrics, and they are great (if written by a 6 year old)
Kurt Vile - played it once, makings of a absolute classic, can't wait to play it again
Bastille, got 6 mins into, turned it off - bollocks
British Sea Power - looks to be a great album, first track is brilliant, early Elbow (ish)
Eels - standard Eels, every album is always a bit worse than the last, but that still makes them better than most
Depeche Mode - just reminded me why I avoided them like the f/cking plague back in the eighties - tosh
BR Motorcycle Club - wanted to hate it, didn't...........will play it again.
Never hears of John Hopkins, bought the Monster OST (GREAT FILM BY THE WAY) - bloody excellent if you like that sort of thing (ambient gubbins)

Throw in a new one, She Paints Word in Red by House of Love, loved this band in the late 80's early 90's, first album in 10 years, not worth the wait..............shame.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ghost on Ghost by Iron and Wine is very likely to be my mellow summer album this year, since it puts me in mind of The Magic Numbers at their best. And if I was the sort to cruise along the seafront in an open top car (and I'm not) then I'd have Watch Out For This, the 8th track on Major Lazer's Free The Universe pretty much on top volume and repeat.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
I really like:

Toro Y Moi – Anything in Return (got tickets for the gig at Concorde 2 in June)
Bonobo – The North Borders (got tickets for the all-dayer at the Roundhouse in May)

Looking forward to the new albums from Ghostpoet, Gold Panda and Daft Punk.

Quite liking Bastille too and there is some good stuff on their Soundcloud page. Check out the Other Peoples Heartache Pt 2 mix tape... OTHER PEOPLE'S HEARTACHE, PT. 2 by BASTILLE on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds

Bonobo is asolutely class - his making of Kiara vid is quality

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Owiny Sigoma Band - 'Power Punch'

This is a very serious contender for album of the year, in my opinion. A bunch of London-based musicians collaborate with 2 Kenyan musicians to produce this masterpiece. It's funk, psychedlia, blues mixed with Kenyan 'Owiny' music and the result is extremely cool. This isn't your w@nky art-college type thing, it's extremely accessible and very very cool.

[yt]0c-oXeV85e0[/yt]

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
"English Little League" -Guided By Voices. It's GBV hence I love it

"Shaking The Habitual" - The Knife. A lot of it is magnificent however, I think it could do without the 19 minute long ambient noodling of "Old Dreams Waiting To Be Realized"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here