Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The must-have albums of 2013

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Thee Oh Sees have gone on indefinite hiatus. Their last couple have albums have felt a little "by numbers" to me, though they are still heads and shoulders above most other garage rock bands. If you didn't ever see them live you missed out big time.

I wouldn't worry too much for the fans out there. John Dwyer will have another band up and running in the time it takes me to write this post. I'd be very interested in what Bridget decides to do going forward as well. One of the best bands of the last 10 years IMHO.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Late vinyl purchases to possibly enter the top 10 over the past month:

John Grant
Julia Holter
Daniel Avery
Nils Frahm
Stoker OST

Still a lot of listening to do before compiling the top 10. It may have to be 15 this year, it's been a ridiculously good year despite the Walkmen (temporarily) splitting and Deerhunters 'meh' album.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Late vinyl purchases to possibly enter the top 10 over the past month:

John Grant
Julia Holter
Daniel Avery
Nils Frahm
Stoker OST

Still a lot of listening to do before compiling the top 10. It may have to be 15 this year, it's been a ridiculously good year despite the Walkmen (temporarily) splitting and Deerhunters 'meh' album.

I'm really pleased to see people are liking Daniel Avery. I predict big things for him.

Off the back of the Quietus top 10 I have just purchased Grumbling Fur. What an album.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thee Oh Sees have gone on indefinite hiatus. Their last couple have albums have felt a little "by numbers" to me, though they are still heads and shoulders above most other garage rock bands. If you didn't ever see them live you missed out big time.

I wouldn't worry too much for the fans out there. John Dwyer will have another band up and running in the time it takes me to write this post. I'd be very interested in what Bridget decides to do going forward as well. One of the best bands of the last 10 years IMHO.

I was very fortunate to see them back in the summer thanks to your posts. I'm disappointed by their pause, as I have been blathering on to my friends about what a great live band they are/were.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
got the Throwing Muses CD/ book thing on Monday. It's a thing of rare beauty and 'only' cost 12.99 in Resident

unconditionally recommended

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
...... and the "Mark Kozelek & Desertshore" LP which in due course may or may not prove to be better than the Jimmy Lavelle collaboration

Blimey, what a year

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I should have known that in Oh Sees world an "indefinite hiatus" would last a couple of months. New album in 2014

http://www.theeohsees.com/
Brilliant news. Only discovered this lot upon the release of this year's record, but I'm very keen to see them live now reading the above reviews from yourself and HT.

Mr Icicle Boots

Apr 12, 2013
North East Aegean.
For me it would have to be The National and The Boxer Rebellion (But obvious i know but..) and also a shout to Steve Earle - The Lost Highway and Half Moon Run - Dark Eyes.
The one that falls into the 'new to me in 2013' category would be Bootstraps - Bootstraps.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Jenny Hval - Innocence is Kinky is a fantastic piece of work. For fans of Bjork, PJ Harvey, Diamanda Galas. In my eyes she's the total package, can't believe I'd not heard of her before

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64e9HKXyUes

Time to try a few new sounds so back to the ever reliable NSC must-have albums. Bloody heck - that's a good tune!! Thanks for the tip. (PS YT link updated)

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Most overrated album of the year-
Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds- Push The Sky Away.

I find it hard going and difficult to get to the end off in one listen.
I still rate them highly though and going to see them live in October.

CRE - I'm having a final look through this thread to see if I've missed anything. Are you still subscribing to this theory?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here