Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The must-have albums of 2013

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Based on repeat plays to date my 2013 essential buys have ended up being: Mogwai, Steve Mason and Midlake.

If I had to choose one it would probably be Midlake but only if played loud and in its entirety. Overall not a good sign though as already knew/liked them all - must try harder to break new ground in 2014.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I think you got this totally right sir - 6 months on and your final sentence is exactly what I feel.

Disagree with you actually! Ha. I think I was totally wrong - Field of Reeds is, dare I say it, even better than Hidden. I don't know how this band are not getting more attention, Field of Reeds to me sounds like the kind of album that people would still be talking about in years and years to come, it's truly original, unsettling, but also brilliantly addictive. Argh. They are so good!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Disagree with you actually! Ha. I think I was totally wrong - Field of Reeds is, dare I say it, even better than Hidden. I don't know how this band are not getting more attention, Field of Reeds to me sounds like the kind of album that people would still be talking about in years and years to come, it's truly original, unsettling, but also brilliantly addictive. Argh. They are so good!

Music eh? It looks like we went on a completely opposite arc. I fell for it big time early but as time went by found myself gravitating back to Hidden. Still one of my faves of the year though.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Don't know if previously posted, but The Besnard Lake's 'Until In Excess, Imperceptible UFO' is a magnificent, soaring melange of spaced-out guitar, layered overdubs and lilting vocals. Brilliant record :)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
May only be of interest to old timers but this album has some excellent reworks of Creedence Clearwater Revival and John Fogerty Classics with established and contempory musicians. Released May last year but I've only just become aware of it.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
God, this thread is like reliving some of the more insufferable conversations from my uni years (which covered 2013).
For what it's worth, I highly recommend Trans' Red EP of that year, along with the follow up Green. Formed by Bernard Butler and Jackie McKeown.
Excellent live band if you happen across a time machine and fancy nipping back to one of the 15 or so gigs they played.

Also tells you something that at the time nobody involved thought that naming their band Trans might cause some problems with internet searches 10years later.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here