Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The most obvious mistakes

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
More seriously: I'd say three government biggies in the past 30 years
Nick Clegg's decision to back the Tories - caused a complete collapse of one party. The Labour government's decision not to ensure control of the banks and the Thatcher government decision to sell of council houses without building additional stock. I'd add the NUM's decision not to call a strike ballot in 1984, it was a tactical error -although I'm not sure ultimately how damaging that was.
Yes, I'd go along with those, but I'd also add the flogging off of everything else we used to own as well as the council houses.
And going to war in Iraq - that lifted the lid on the entire region, and now look at it; I fear it will get worse too.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Got it. Hows about the sinking of The Belgrano for starters?

if you want to play that card, then you'd have to say Galtieri was the mistake.

along these lines, ulitmatly its God. all went wrong with making Adam.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Nick Clegg didnt have much choice as the country needed a government not another election in a couple of months.

He had plenty of choice. He could have (and should have) said that he'd support the government when he agreed and wouldn't support when he didn't. He could have joined but made tuition fees a condition of support; he could have joined the Labour party in a coalition. He made a really, really bad choice.

Efforts are now being made to replenish housing a little late but there are alsorts of objections to planning consent being given.

I don't know why you think that: current estimates from the Housebuilders Federation is that we're building 100,000 fewer homes than we need - and that doesn't take into account the backlog. The CBI thinks that we're building 200,000 too few of the number that are needed. There are no signs that there's an increase: in fact the new government is looking to reduce the housing stock still further by selling off housing association property and forcing councils to sell its houses. At the moment, the average home in London is 13 times the average earning, I fully expect that to rise considerably in the coming years

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Got it. Hows about the sinking of The Belgrano for starters?

A mistake is when something turns out wrong. In the case of the Belgrano the desired effect was achieved - we won. Not a mistake then. Not very nice perhaps, but neither was killing all those poor Germans when they set out to invade us in 1939-45.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm guessing the most common words uttered in the process of making the biggest mistake are 'I do'.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Prince Charles "whatever love is" comment about Diana.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
'Mr Archer! Nice to meet you, welcome to Brighton and Hove Albion'.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Gerald Ratner

seems like an eternity ago now but one of the greatest gaffes of all time

can you imagine how swift the fallout would be in todays online world with facebook,twitter instant news media whores etc.

Ratners would have sunk before he had finished his speech

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here