Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The most important debut album in history

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I've just been reading up on Buddy Holly's first and last album you read what Lennon and Mcartney, Bob Dylan and Jagger and Richards have said about him then you'd have to give him a shout. Only had 18 months..... Quite incredible that. Wonder what he could have been ?

Bigger than the Beatles I would suggest

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Not read all the thread so sorry for a few repeats but my shortlist is:

Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures

VU - VU featuring Nico

Eminen - Marshall Mathers album

Portishead - Dummy

And of course, Ver pistols......

Wasn't Portishead's Dummy one of the many albums influenced by Massive Attack's Blue Lines?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
At a guess Psychedelia, Heavy Metal, Experimental, Dance

Psychedelic rock came from the West Coast during Flower Power imo. The Byrds, Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Love etc. I believe the Beatles latched onto it rather than invented it.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Psychedelic rock came from the West Coast during Flower Power imo. The Byrds, Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Love etc. I believe the Beatles latched onto it rather than invented it.

The Beatles latched on to everything and invented nothing themselves ever fact.... Every type,style there was someone was doing it before them, they may have been at the forefront possibly of some styles and because of the publicity they commanded it seemed like they started whatever.... we know they did not. Most over rated band ever.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
At a guess Psychedelia, Heavy Metal, Experimental, Dance

The Beatles invented Heavy Metal. How do you get from Love Love Me Do to Slayer's Angel of Death?

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
The Beatles invented Heavy Metal. How do you get from Love Love Me Do to Slayer's Angel of Death?

Helter Skelter certainly helped.

The Beatles did what a lot of successful artist did. Took what was going on underground and sold it to the masses.

Just the The Stones, Bowie, The Pistols etc!

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Wasn't Portishead's Dummy one of the many albums influenced by Massive Attack's Blue Lines?

Yes fair point, both heavily influenced the birth of trip-hop and both involved with the Bristol scene of the early and mid nineties. I preferred Dummy, though Blue Lines is still of course brilliant.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
The Beatles latched on to everything and invented nothing themselves ever fact.... Every type,style there was someone was doing it before them, they may have been at the forefront possibly of some styles and because of the publicity they commanded it seemed like they started whatever.... we know they did not. Most over rated band ever.

Dull & inept post

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Helter Skelter certainly helped.

The Beatles did what a lot of successful artist did. Took what was going on underground and sold it to the masses.

Just the The Stones, Bowie, The Pistols etc!

I'm not suggesting anything other than I'm struggling to see a link between The Beatles and metal.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here