Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The most disappointing album

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fully expect Book of Souls to be the No.1 album around the world this week. Let's not forget that The Final Frontier sent straight in at No 1 in 28 countries and amazingly The Number Of The Beast is No.21 in the current UK charts despite being released in 1982!

On the subject of albums still selling I read that Guns and Roses' debut still easily shifts around a 100,000 copies a year without any promotion in the US. That's a nice pension.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I think I may have a winner here, that's crept in under the radar un-noticed by NSC. For the biggest ever leap from brilliant album to absolute shite with the next one, I propose that the award goes to......

Paul Simon.

Paul Simon went to South Africa, tapped into the African music traditions, and using many South African musicians made the sublime album, 'Gracelands'. The title track, You Can Call me Al, Diamonds on the Souls of Her Shoes - classic fusion tracks.

To follow it up, he thought he do the same again, except tap in to South America this time. The result was the resounding car-crash of an album, 'Rhythm of the Saints'. I should know, I bought the blasted thing (my ex-wife had bought Gracelands, but she took it with her!) Any mug (sorry - any body) want a cheap copy of Rhythm of the Saints, on vinyl, hardly played?
Yet it include 'The Obvious Child' one of my favourite Simon songs.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Unfortunately I'm away on the 24th or else I would have.

As for Wheelhouse, it just doesn't do it for me - there's only one hideous song on it, but at the same time there aren't many more that I'd honestly say I enjoy hearing over and over. Harvey Bodine, for example, is great the first time but once you know the 'twist' it doesn't have much to offer the repeat listener - same goes for Death Of A Single Man. Onryo and Karate do nothing for me, Mona Lisa works much better live than on an album and Tin Can On A String and Beat This Summer are OK but no more.That said, I do love Outstanding In Our Field, Pressing On A Bruise and Southern Comfort Zone, but as albums both MITT and TICM have more repeat value for me personally.

Thought a little review of ZBB at Wembley Arena last night may be of interest, especially relative to Jekyll + Hyde:

Zac Brown and his Band of fabulous musicians put on a show to end all shows at the Wembley Arena. their infectious mix of oldies, newies and covers had the audience on it's feet from the first number for a dancing party with one of the best live bands in the world at the moment. Everything from sweet ballads such as Sweet Annie to covers like their remarkable version of Bohemian Rhapsody. Zac was occasionally overwhelmed by the fans' reaction, wiping a tear from his eye after sustained warm applause for I'll be your Man. Best of all, even the songs from Jekyll + Hyde, Homegrown, Beautiful Drug, Dress Blues, took on new life and meaning in a different context and running order. My favourite, Tomorrow never Comes was the glorious anthemic sing along that I hoped it would be. Come back soon lads.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here